Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Opinions on Brushless motors / ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Opinions on Brushless motors / ESC

I might get flamed and downvoted but i would like to get some feedback on ''offbrand'' or second-grade brands Motors and ESCs.
I love our US vendors and they are what keeps this hobby alive but in today's world where everything is manufactured in China anyway, is there a huge difference ?

For exemple ESC such as Hobbywing XR8 SCT Pro, Castle Mamba X and Tekin, how would you rate them ?

Same thing about motors, how does the hobbywing sensored 3660SD G2 compare to Holmes Puller Pro, Tekin ROC412, Castle Slate ?

Everyone wants the top Holmes setup but we have to admit it's overkill for casual trailing.

Just to make it clear, i'm not judging anyone who buys the high end stuff and knowing my addiction i will probably end up there next year on my 3rd truck...
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

Default Re: Opinions on Brushless motors / ESC

Are you being serious here? HobbyWing and Teking are top tier. The ROC412 is as good if not better than the Holmes motors. You're also forgetting Team Brood.

The Castle Mamba X is also great, but I wouldn't call their motors top tier.

If you're doing casual trailing the HobbWing WP 1080 ESC and a $12 35T brushed motor from RC4WD will do just fine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are you being serious here? HobbyWing and Teking are top tier. The ROC412 is as good if not better than the Holmes motors. You're also forgetting Team Brood.

The Castle Mamba X is also great, but I wouldn't call their motors top tier.

If you're doing casual trailing the HobbWing WP 1080 ESC and a $12 35T brushed motor from RC4WD will do just fine.
I know tekin is top tier, I was asking how the hobbywing stands up to the top like holmes, tekin, castle, etc.

I will be using my brushed setup to start with but i think I can't avoid brushless in the future for the easier maintenance and extra speed on flat ground.

I guess i should have phrased that better, english is my second language.

What's the feedback from users on hobbywing, hobbyking, turigny and other foreign brands?

Better?

Last edited by Jboucher; 12-07-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The way you posed that question is, well its something. I going to say silly, but not with the intention to flame or degrade you.

So an opinion on that would be. Is a $10.00 goolrc motor as good as a holmes hobbies motor. You can really look at it both ways. Will you burn through an equal amount of $10.00 motors as a more expensive one? Does having that extra efficiency, torque, speed matter?

Does it matter the difference between the two motors? Clearly a HH is better then a goolrc, so the question is does that matter to you as a buyer?

It seems like you answered your own question.

Again an opinion. I don't get the whole marketing thing with RC.

If I was going to produce and sell a motor I would definitely publish the motor curve. You can have two DC motors with the exact same horsepower have different torque at different voltages.

I think we are fortunate to have guys like John Holmes providing information on a personal level. Personally I'd rather have the data, but having the manufacture to answer questions is pretty darn good.

The only time I can justify to myself spending the extra money is for peace of mind, knowing there is good customer service and quality control. I run a $10.00 motor, a $40.00 esc, but I refuse to run something other then a promodeler servo. Simply because they don't break and if you have a question or issue the owner of the company responds directly, How can you beat that?
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thank you, you are right about customer service.

I was bummed out when my savox servo was dead out of the box and I went to the High end market for peace of mind.

It was a slow day at work and I spent too much time online looking at different brushless setups. I shouldn't have posted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
I shouldn't have posted.

No point to a forum without questions, you absolutely should have posted.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
I know tekin is top tier, I was asking how the hobbywing stands up to the top like holmes, tekin, castle, etc.

I will be using my brushed setup to start with but i think I can't avoid brushless in the future for the easier maintenance and extra speed on flat ground.

I guess i should have phrased that better, english is my second language.

What's the feedback from users on hobbywing, hobbyking, turigny and other foreign brands?

Better?
Sorry, now I understand what you were asking. If you were racing or going fast I'd recommend HobbyWing or Tekin.

Remember, all RC electronics companies use foreign components at the very least. Some are made completely overseas. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all about how the company controls the quality.

HobbyWing doesn't have a great brushless crawling ESC. They have one of the best brushed ESC with the WP 1080.

Tekin has good everything.

It all depends on your type of rig, it's intended use, and your budget.

What truck are these electronics going in?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I was daydreaming about going brushless in my still unfinished bomber.
Went through the hobbywing line-up and then the chinese offbrands like banggood racerstar.

Thats when I realized there is so many brands that I didn't know about and I started to Wonder how they compare to the well known stuff.

I know I will try the racerstar stuff in my 1/18 yeti Jr, there is a very limited offer for micro rigs.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
I was daydreaming about going brushless in my still unfinished bomber.
Went through the hobbywing line-up and then the chinese offbrands like banggood racerstar.

Thats when I realized there is so many brands that I didn't know about and I started to Wonder how they compare to the well known stuff.

I know I will try the racerstar stuff in my 1/18 yeti Jr, there is a very limited offer for micro rigs.

Do you mean RaceStar or TrackStar from HobbyKing? I've never heard of RaceStar, but TrackStar makes awesome motors and decent ESCs. HobbyKing's Turnigy LiPo batteries are also awesome.

There's a ton of good options out there these days at all price ranges. It's a great time to be in RC.

For small, light rigs like the SCX10 it's not as important to splurge on electronics. And all of my 1.9 rigs are brushed. My SCX10 started brushless, but I converted to brushed and haven't looked back.

But for the Bomber I highly suggest saving your money and getting a good combo. The Castle Mamba X and a Tekin ROC412 3100kv or Holmes Puller Pro 3500kv make that rig come alive. And the ESC offers the ability to quickly toggle from crawling mode with a drag brake to a go-fast mode with no drag brake and a regular brake.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
RCC Addict

You are right, I will take my time and pay once.

I also need another transmitter since I use my 3rd Channel for lights.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hobbywing is in the big/reliable brand group, definitely! It's just not ridiculously priced as Castle.

Hobbyking? I had 2 Trackstar ESC's. Both dead now, but after much abuse - Waterproof 80A that was molested in a SCT and a Turbo 80A, I killed that one in my Wraith because I hooked up a serious servo to it and fried the BEC. My fault, basically. Motors that came bundled with them still run fine! Very good value for money all in all.

Off brands, like the bajillion ebay/aliexpress copies of Hobbywing ESCs, I do not like. Stuttery startup, very jumpy, unreliable, not worth it.

Motors are usually simple enough that cheapos work fine too.

Btw this hobby exists outside the US, too, y'know.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

How are the hobbywing brushless esc's? Love my brushed 1080, and the 1060 is still running just fine.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
How are the hobbywing brushless esc's? Love my brushed 1080, and the 1060 is still running just fine.
They are great for go fast. But they aren't great for crawling. They have a reverse delay safety in them. I don't know of any brushless HobbyWing ESC that has instant FWD/REV.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The new XR8 sct pro look awesome for the price but i read Bad reviews on their G2 motors, they use a 2-part can that splits in 2 on big impacts

Opinions on Brushless motors / ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless ESC Opinions atracys Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 03-18-2011 02:51 PM
Opinions on motors or comp 2.2 rig running a sidewinder esc and bec 4ruggy General Crawlers 4 03-15-2009 08:44 PM