Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Default Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control

Hi all.

I have TRX-4 and have been trying to find a way to add winch forever. Sure there are options but I just didn't want to add another fob to tag around or spend more $$$ to replace good existing remote. I was participating local SORRCA event at the horsemens trail CA and witnessed a few people struggling using winch and controlling the truck at the same time. Then it hit me. What if the winch is connected parallel to the main motor?

So I made the simple diagram and wired it up. It consists of RC4WD 3S capable winch, 1 momentary DPDT switch and 1 SPST main switch installed somewhere in the truck.
Momentary switch will manually run winch in and out.
Main switch will put winch parallel to main motor.

This is how it would work.
When winching is required, pull the line out using momentary switch.
Set up the hook.
Turn on the main switch - now winch is parallel to the main motor.
Drive - Throttle and steer - winch will pull same rate as throttle.
When finished, turn off main switch, store winch hook using momentary switch.

After the bench test, I find it to be working as expected.
However, I am sure there is a lot hole in this concept and more experienced someone can chime in and help making this useful.

I will post up some pictures.
If I finish installing in the truck, field test might be possible over this weekend.

Thanks and let me know if you are interested in this idea
CRAWLER75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Default Re: Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control

Diagram and switches wired..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control

Interesting idea. Should work ok, but may have some intersting side effects.
I wonder about how the drag will react with two different motors?
Also, it may get a bit of “clod stall” (search for it) - electricity always takes the path of least resistance, so if the winch is stressed it may stall earlier than normal as the electricity can go to the other motor instead, or vice versa. Not to say it will, as the motors are different size and resistance... have to just try and see.
Also, as a fun exercise, remove the battery and turn on the spst switch to connect the winch. Then grab a wheel and give it a good spin.. the winch should turn too
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Clod stall.. Ok so I would need separate ESC for the winch. I do have a backup one but really wanted to keep it simple and at a minimal cost. Thanks for the input. Now I know what to do if one of the motors stalls.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLER75 View Post
Clod stall.. Ok so I would need separate ESC for the winch. I do have a backup one but really wanted to keep it simple and at a minimal cost. Thanks for the input. Now I know what to do if one of the motors stalls.

Yep. Not sure it will be too much of an issue as clod stall appeared even when running two Esc off the one battery, yet people do it all the time with winches. I’d just try it and see
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Explain to me exactly how you plan on keeping the line taught when the truck moves forward faster the the winch, but the winch will still be required?

Solutions for keeping the anchor from coming loose during the above described situation? Solution for keeping the line wound on the spool during the above described situation?

Interesting idea. I can tell you that it doesn't work in real life, unless you are using a wheel winch.

Good luck, hope you can figure something out.

BTW the solution is practice winching, controlling a winch, throttle and steering gets easy with practice. Hell there are guys that drive one handed better then I drive with two.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Explain to me exactly how you plan on keeping the line taught when the truck moves forward faster the the winch, but the winch will still be required?

Solutions for keeping the anchor from coming loose during the above described situation? Solution for keeping the line wound on the spool during the above described situation?

Interesting idea. I can tell you that it doesn't work in real life, unless you are using a wheel winch.

Good luck, hope you can figure something out.

BTW the solution is practice winching, controlling a winch, throttle and steering gets easy with practice. Hell there are guys that drive one handed better then I drive with two.
Good points. I was thinking the anchors have to be latched, not just hooked. Also, if the tires getting enough traction to move the truck forward, then winch might not be necessary anymore. Still, it's hard to tell without real life testing. I do have a feeling this might have been pretty bad idea and it might end up in smoke literally. But if indeed it works as I want it to, it could be a good alternative as switches cost only 5 bucks or so.
I do have problem right now though. All is hooked up and when I move to momentary switch, the steering servo goes nuts.(shv500) it shares the 3s jst connector but not sure how it's effecting steering.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

If I'm understanding your idea correctly, the thing that bothers me is that you cannot control the winch independently from the wheel motor.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The Bastens winch control module might fit the bill, but it appears to have been discontinued.

Bastens Winch Control module works with either 2Ch or 3Ch transmitters
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
If I'm understanding your idea correctly, the thing that bothers me is that you cannot control the winch independently from the wheel motor.
You're correct. Once engaged, they would run together. I agree that it is not the ideal operation.
At this point though I can't get rid of glitches. When I activate the momentary switch steering ramdomly twitches or locks to the right. Tried running separate battery for winch but it would still glitch. Gotta figure out why it's interfering.

Tags
winch.control.trx4.rc4wd

Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC for winch control set up help needed! Waiting Dragon Electronics 4 02-16-2016 08:06 PM
Scorpion Real Remote Control Winch ColquittCustom405 General Crawlers 12 12-27-2005 02:03 PM