Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone here an expert on the ESS sound systems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Anyone here an expert on the ESS sound systems?

First off. I have an older ESS One+. From what I can read online it says it has up to 30W of power...but the speaker it comes with is only 5W... so where can you get a better speaker?

Also when I took it apart the place where the speaker was soldered too had another pad beside it...like it was possible to hook up two speakers. Does that one also have to be 4 ohm? The stock speaker is 4 ohm.

The new ESS-Dual looks like it has the same ratings as the ESS-One...so I wonder if the dual just has a second speaker.

On a semi related note...does anyone know where to find a good WATERPROOF speaker that is 4 ohm and small? While still being up to 15W of power?

Thanks!
dweano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone here an expert on the ESS sound systems?

Just some notes...

#1 a better speaker is not necessarily a louder speaker. A more powerful speaker is also not necessarily a louder speaker.
i.e. a 500W speaker may be quieter with the same power output amplifier than a 20W one. It really depends on sensitivity (measured in dB/W/m and ranging in 80-100+ range).

#2 my guess is that the speaker outputs are in parallel on the board. That means that if you hook up another 4 Ohm speaker, the ESS board will "see" a 2 Ohm impedance and that may overload the output chips. That's why some hifi and most car power amps are rated differently for different impedance (Ohm) speakers. Maybe a single louder speaker would be better.

#3 where are you getting your Wattage data? I doubt that it can output 30W, and speaker ratings are... well, made up. A speaker doesn't "have" power, it can take power (some maximum before burning up).

#4 now I'll let someone with actual experience with the ESS One chime in
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have one of these in my King Hauler. Sitting on the bench the sound is not very loud, but it is made to be attached to a body or chassis, and uses that as a resonator for increasing the amount of sound that it puts out.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Just some notes...

#1 a better speaker is not necessarily a louder speaker. A more powerful speaker is also not necessarily a louder speaker.
i.e. a 500W speaker may be quieter with the same power output amplifier than a 20W one. It really depends on sensitivity (measured in dB/W/m and ranging in 80-100+ range).

True I guess...this hobby grade stuff is hard to determine specs like that

#2 my guess is that the speaker outputs are in parallel on the board. That means that if you hook up another 4 Ohm speaker, the ESS board will "see" a 2 Ohm impedance and that may overload the output chips. That's why some hifi and most car power amps are rated differently for different impedance (Ohm) speakers. Maybe a single louder speaker would be better.

So I could use two 8 Ohm ones then?

#3 where are you getting your Wattage data? I doubt that it can output 30W, and speaker ratings are... well, made up. A speaker doesn't "have" power, it can take power (some maximum before burning up).

Supply voltage range:5Volts-26Volts
Speaker Impedance:4Ohms
Output power under 4 Ohms:20W/3S(12V)
Number of audio channels:ONE channel 30W max
Output is Short-Circuit, Overload and Thermally Protected

Straight from the Sense Innovations website...just trying to decipher what it means

#4 now I'll let someone with actual experience with the ESS One chime in

I actually do have one. Just trying to get some better performance out of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I have one of these in my King Hauler. Sitting on the bench the sound is not very loud, but it is made to be attached to a body or chassis, and uses that as a resonator for increasing the amount of sound that it puts out.
I don't think that is the case for the ESS series. I believe the MR RC Sound units do that...and possible the Traxxas OBA...but the ESS series just uses speakers for output
dweano is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone here an expert on the ESS sound systems? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESS-ONE Sound in a wraith Markeje Axial Wraith 5 09-09-2015 02:57 PM
Clodbuster cloding around ESS-ONE sound shenlonco Videos! 0 04-25-2015 08:44 AM
ESS ONE SOUND + Tamiya Rally = shenlonco Videos! 0 01-25-2015 01:45 PM