Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radiolink RC4G or Flysky GT3B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Radiolink RC4G or Flysky GT3B

i have a radiolink 4ch with gyro.
i actually forgot it had gyro, imagine my surprise when i had the rig on for testing, i swung it down from the bench to show my son something and the wheels tried to point it straight lol was wild seeing it flail about in my hand with no radio input! until remembered... ohhhh yeah, GYRO!
lol
turned it all the way down from the TX and its fine for my ascender.

that said, i could for sure use it in an upcoming RWD drift build. so for me its an advantage.
and if i ever get the urge to go full hoonigan with the ascender with the 2 speed in high... well maybe gyro is ok lol
might buy another one for my son to pull double duty on his barrage and 4wd drifter.

other than that i really like the radiolink. i don't have a flysky to compare it to. just the RTR axial TX that came with my yeti, and a bunch of old futaba/hitec TX from the pre-2.4ghz era of 2006.
its my first time having more than 2 channels, its a bit overwhelming, but it seems like every day just going over another section in the menus, i giggle when i figure out a new feature.

so yeah i have an ascender with 2 speed trans (ch3 button set for toggle with endpoints set), and a servo winch (operated via pot knob). the radiolink is great and heyok even has a winch controller that will work with the channel 4 pot knob, so winching will be cake. confirmed this with him via PM, my finger is hovering over the trigger to order it from him.

like i said, i have no experience with the flysky, but so far this radiolink is the bees knees!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. From from what I have read here, I can see that either of these radios may feel cheap depending on the user, and hell, they are cheap.

They are both feature-rich, and would likely cost about the same amount once the hack is factored in to the GT3B, which means the Radiolink will be ready to go as soon as I get it as opposed to the FlySky.

The Radiolink's 10 model memory is more than enough for me, so that is not a factor.

It definitely sounds as though the FlySky is more customizable, but do I really need that level of customization. I certainly can't see myself soldering in additional switches or anything of the like.

4 channels should be enough for me, although they're certainly is some appeal to having 8.

It looks as though the receivers can be had for $10 to $20 Canadian for either model.

In the end, even in light of all the positives the FlySky has, I am still partial to the Radiolink. I don't hear anything overwhelmingly negative about either of them, and I like the fact that I will not have to hack the Radiolink and can use it right out of the box.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Internet hype or in this case internet over hype.
There's a difference between bald-face fanboi claims and people without ulterior motives documenting trial-and-error to correct an existing unsolved problem. When case after cases boil down to the Tx and/or Rx, that tells me that it's probably the radio rather than some rapscallion repeating the illuminati mantra of "down with spektrum!"

The only real lie I've seen perpetuated is Spektrum owners lying to themselves that absolutely no other Spektrum owner has ever had an issue. It's similar to the automotive situation, people will flatly refute Consumer Report's data showing their make/model is unreliable as hell & claim that 640,000 cars can't offer more than anecdotal evidence.

One bit of info that might highlight the situation is when you google "[radio brand] problem". Flysky shows 136k results, Futaba 488k, Hitec 398k, Radiolink 387k...Spektrum shows 26 million. 1 million = 1000k. But of course that's just the illuminati hacking the google results.

All I can say is enjoy parting with your money, it's not mine after all.

Quote:
What problems have you seen with Radiolink and Spektrum integrated gyros?
The gyro problems were from Spektrum owners & AVC not saving certain settings. With AVC off it would save them. (sorry, I can't find the newer thread) Tx-adjustable gryos also uses up a channel or two rather than plug in between the RX and servo. But who needs that extra channels anyways.

Quote:
Didn't you just say glitching only happened with Spektrum?
Feel free to review my past posts, I don't indicate Spektrum is the only brand to glitch. I do indicate it's a wholesale offender in that regard. In any case, how many Spektrum issues do you imagine were solved by asking 2 people to stand farther apart like Jim suggest?

Jabs aside, you have every right to believe what you believe based on personal experiences alone. I digress and apologize to everyone else for ever invoking the name "Spektrum" in this thread.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
There's a difference between bald-face fanboi claims and people without ulterior motives documenting trial-and-error to correct an existing unsolved problem. When case after cases boil down to the Tx and/or Rx, that tells me that it's probably the radio rather than some rapscallion repeating the illuminati mantra of "down with spektrum!"

The only real lie I've seen perpetuated is Spektrum owners lying to themselves that absolutely no other Spektrum owner has ever had an issue. It's similar to the automotive situation, people will flatly refute Consumer Report's data showing their make/model is unreliable as hell & claim that 640,000 cars can't offer more than anecdotal evidence.

One bit of info that might highlight the situation is when you google "[radio brand] problem". Flysky shows 136k results, Futaba 488k, Hitec 398k, Radiolink 387k...Spektrum shows 26 million. 1 million = 1000k. But of course that's just the illuminati hacking the google results.

All I can say is enjoy parting with your money, it's not mine after all.
You're funny!

A few stories on the internet are not facts. And, let's be honest, people come on the internet to complain about issues not praise working products.

I will happily continue to give my money to a great company like Spektrum as will many others.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #25

Quote:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, since I agree with most of what you said, BUT... as Jato said, a google search isn't the whole story. If you search for "Ford problem" you get 4.3 million results. If you search for "Tesla problem", you get 1.3 million. We all know that the Tesla is turning into an unreliable steaming turd... far less reliable than Ford as a whole. The difference here is that there's about eleventy billion Fords on the road, and about 25 Teslas. That's a huge variable that's not accounted for in google searches. Same with your example. There are likely 10x more Spectrum radios out there than every other one on your list combined. That's going to skew the numbers in a huge way.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 01-11-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I ordered the radiolink.

Cost me $62 Canadian and I should not get hit with customs as it's coming from China. I only seem to get custom charges on products exceeding $20 coming from the states.

I looked at a bunch of the FlySky ones as well but to get one with a reasonable shipping time I would have been paying just as much or more than the Radiolink. The seller I ordered from had a 9 to 18 day shipping time which is better than most and in line or better than RC Mart.

Thank you again for the advice.

Not sure what to make of the whole Spectrum debacle, but if I were going to spend the amount it would cost me to get one of their multi-channel radios here I would just get a Fatuba.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The programmer to having it yourself should be between $5 and $10. Then you'd have the ability to map almost all the buttons to any channel, program any button to behave as 2 position, 3 position, momentary short press, long press, multi position step rate in any order, and then there's all the mixing options. Then there's the fact the Flysky 3,6, and 8 channel receivers are inexpensive and easy to find including the other brand names like turning, hobby king, and others. Also the transmitter and receiver have 8 or more years of history. It's easily one of the most flexible radios out there.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

As mentioned in my last comment, I purchased the Radiolink last night. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't grab a FlySky as a secondary radio if the opportunity to get one for a low enough price online comes up. I could order one from one of the slower shippers as there would be no rush, and sell my TTX300 once I have it.

The big question from my perspective is this: where are you seeing The hacking kits for $5 to $10. The cheapest I could find one was $25US on Overkill RC, and presumably there is shipping and potentially customs on top of that.

I found cables for upgrading FlySky radios on EBay but they all seem to be made just for the stick radios
Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
The big question from my perspective is this: where are you seeing The hacking kits for $5 to $10. The cheapest I could find one was $25US on Overkill RC, and presumably there is shipping and potentially customs on top of that.

I found cables for upgrading FlySky radios on EBay but they all seem to be made just for the stick radios
The overkillrc "kits" are really no more than a "dupont jumper cable", usb cable, and a ST Discovery programmer. All you really need are 4 hookup wires and a ST-Link v2 usb dongle.

This auction has what you need. It can be had cheaper from China, inc Banggood. You can just cut one end off the cable & solder direct while you program it. There is no need for a header since firmware updates have essentially stopped, you just remove the wires when done. There may be enough space to leave them connected and tuck inside.

Quote:
You're funny!

A few stories on the internet are not facts. And, let's be honest, people come on the internet to complain about issues not praise working products.

I will happily continue to give my money to a great company like Spektrum as will many others.
LOL Then how do you define a fact? If I was to post a personal experience, you'd instantly define it as a intraweb fabrication. Does it have to be printed on Spektrum's boxes to become a fact? On Fox News? Do you need to see it documented in a class-action law suit before it's fact?? What if that lawsuit is posted online by Spektrum???

People can lie on the internet just as easily as they can in person, on the phone, on TV, in print, via photoshop, etc - and we have a plethora of historical cases on the books to prove that. With facts lol. This is what you get when you believe everything is a lie and try to tell the world you are the only "truth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
as Jato said, a google search isn't the whole story.
I fully understand, Tesla was founded 100 years after Ford. I'll still point out more people have died in 1971 Ford Pintos than all Teslas combined.

My point was there comes a point were an overwhelming flood of [even circumstantial] evidence from a multitude of sources can safely be looked at as an indicator. Kind of like how you could look at Huston, TX with half of it under 2ft of water a week after the hurricane hit and say, "Yup boss, our sewers aren't good nuff for this!"

One company I love to bring up regarding this is Chrysler (inc Dodge & Jeep). My in-law had a Ram that was always having issues. The day he woke up to go fishing up north (sub-zero at the time), his heater took a crap. Specifically his heater "blend doors" - heater core & fan were fine, just no cabin heat. Turns out if you search the problem (1.14 mil hits lol), it's a two-decades-old issue that Dodge refuses to admit to. The plastic hinges crack, and you have to pull the whole dash & hvac system out to replace them. It's SUCH a problem a 3rd party started making blend doors with metal pivots/hinges. I helped "fix" it by cutting a hole in the hvac tubes and propping the door open. He swapped to a Ford F150 and has had less probs in 3 yrs combined than a single month of owning the Ram. I'm not a Ford guy, just a not-Chrysler guy lol.

The sad thing is I have more personal experiences with broken Chrysler products than any other make despite never have owned one. I could be convinced my experiences are simply an outlier except for the fact Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge have had Consumer Reports ratings below 50 for at least 2 decades running.

Last edited by Hydrocarbon92; 01-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post

If you're talking about the firmware hack and not the hardware hack, the ST-Link programmer is available on Ebay for under $2. Everything else you need for the software hack is a free download.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-Link-V2-...oAAOSwX99ZnpOD
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #30

Quote:
LOL Then how do you define a fact? If I was to post a personal experience, you'd instantly define it as a intraweb fabrication. Does it have to be printed on Spektrum's boxes to become a fact? On Fox News? Do you need to see it documented in a class-action law suit before it's fact?? What if that lawsuit is posted online by Spektrum???
The class action lawsuit had nothing to do with the performance of Spektrum products so I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Another alternative to a header for programming is a servo extension cable or old cable from a dead servo

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I got on the Spektrum train pretty early in the game. I now have had multiple Spektrum receiver failures, I con-formal coat all my receivers but for some reason they keep failing (failure might not be from moisture either, I also pump no more than 6V into them). At 60 bucks a pop (basic 4 channel) I can't afford to keep replacing them. I also realize that I my be killing them by doing something wrong. Could I send them in for warranty? Sure but they would probably say something about the coating and how it voids the warranty, or I have to also wait for weeks for it to be resolved. There is no way Spektrum can justify the price they are asking for those surface receivers. I'll just buy the programming kit for my flysky GT3 controllers and buy receivers for 12 bucks off amazon prime. Heck my original tactic system from my wraith which is 3 years old is still kicking, its never been coated and water logged many times, still works like a charm.

That has been my experience at least.

Back to the original discussion. My vote is for the Flysky, stock out of the box, they aren't pretty but they work and work well. I also have two right now for my road cars, love them! Personally, I've looked at multiple option specifically for 5-6 channel pistol grip radios. I always come back to the flysky hack option, I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on the big guys' options.

Last edited by Arctic Cat ZRT; 01-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Personally, I've looked at multiple option specifically for 5-6 channel pistol grip radios. I always come back to the flysky hack option, I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on the big guys' options.
I know what you mean. It's like the prerequisite for 4+ channels is $100-200 worth of fluff. It's not like it needs a quad-core processor, it just needs to add a few more pulses on the PPM stream.

This makes me wonder if anyone's taken a broken pistol grip with big LCD screen and hacked it with Flysky i6 guts in it. That would be interesting.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #34

Quote:
I got on the Spektrum train pretty early in the game. I now have had multiple Spektrum receiver failures, I con-formal coat all my receivers but for some reason they keep failing (failure might not be from moisture either, I also pump no more than 6V into them). At 60 bucks a pop (basic 4 channel) I can't afford to keep replacing them. I also realize that I my be killing them by doing something wrong. Could I send them in for warranty? Sure but they would probably say something about the coating and how it voids the warranty, or I have to also wait for weeks for it to be resolved. There is no way Spektrum can justify the price they are asking for those surface receivers. I'll just buy the programming kit for my flysky GT3 controllers and buy receivers for 12 bucks off amazon prime. Heck my original tactic system from my wraith which is 3 years old is still kicking, its never been coated and water logged many times, still works like a charm.

That has been my experience at least.

Back to the original discussion. My vote is for the Flysky, stock out of the box, they aren't pretty but they work and work well. I also have two right now for my road cars, love them! Personally, I've looked at multiple option specifically for 5-6 channel pistol grip radios. I always come back to the flysky hack option, I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on the big guys' options.
I'm very surprised to hear that. This is the first real-world bad experience I've personally heard of with Spektrum. Usually dying receivers are not the problem. The glitching issue is what people complain about. I don't know about conformal coatings, but other coatings can surely kill a receiver if it's powered on before everything is completely dry.

As far as the cost you can get the SR310 receiver for $35 if you are fine with 3 channels. If you want really expensive receivers checkout Airtronics and Futaba. Their multi channel receivers are insane. I think the last Sanwa 4-channel receiver I bought was $100!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I know what you mean. It's like the prerequisite for 4+ channels is $100-200 worth of fluff. It's not like it needs a quad-core processor, it just needs to add a few more pulses on the PPM stream.

This makes me wonder if anyone's taken a broken pistol grip with big LCD screen and hacked it with Flysky i6 guts in it. That would be interesting.
Bingo! The big dollar controllers seem nice but I don't want to spend that much money on a controller which I will be treking with through the woods. There is a possibility of dropping it into a creek, falling/stepping on it, or just flat out dropping it. If any of that happens I don't want to be out a few hundred.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I see the OP already bought the other radio so this is purely for information only I suppose.

I've been using flysky for 4 or 5 years after using spektrum for a year. Unless there is an adjustment for the trigger I'm not aware of I'll take flysky every single time. The flysky trigger is very linear so I can run very aggressive motors and still have fantastic low speed control. With spektrum there seems to be a big dead band and then instant 10% throttle so super slow throttle control is a biotch.

Everyone I run with has spektrum dx4r radios and we have no glitching issues so I consider that a moot point. I like the radios but performance will always win over all for me.

I ran a gt3b for a couple years before picking up a gt3c that had been hacked. I like them both but the gt3c is the only radio I'll consider between the 2 due to the lipo and ability to recharge from a usb cable. I've looked into "upgrading" to a sanwa, futaba, spektrum etc radio but nobody can beat the features and the charging ability is fantastic. I found that I'd left my radio on before driving 2 hours to go play last summer. No problem, it was almost fully charged by the time I got to my destination by just plugging in an old mini usb cable. I keep that in my truck and in my field bag so I'm never stuck with a dead radio.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Bingo! The big dollar controllers seem nice but I don't want to spend that much money on a controller which I will be treking with through the woods. There is a possibility of dropping it into a creek, falling/stepping on it, or just flat out dropping it. If any of that happens I don't want to be out a few hundred.
Order something from dlux and tell him you want a lanyard. Problem solved and you just saved a bunch of money in the process.
Attached Images

WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Order something from dlux and tell him you want a lanyard. Problem solved and you just saved a bunch of money in the process.
I will have to keep that in mind!

Knowing me I would still find a way to destroy it...
Old 01-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #39

Quote:

I ran a gt3b for a couple years before picking up a gt3c that had been hacked. I like them both but the gt3c is the only radio I'll consider between the 2 due to the lipo and ability to recharge from a usb cable. I've looked into "upgrading" to a sanwa, futaba, spektrum etc radio but nobody can beat the features and the charging ability is fantastic. I found that I'd left my radio on before driving 2 hours to go play last summer. No problem, it was almost fully charged by the time I got to my destination by just plugging in an old mini usb cable. I keep that in my truck and in my field bag so I'm never stuck with a dead radio.
The rechargeable lipo of the GT2B sure beats the standard AA setup in my cheaper GT2 radios. That said, I can't stand that stupid orange plastic on the GT3C, so I'd have to go with the GT3B and find a work around for the batteries. I'm sure it's not hard to retrofit a lipo in there instead of the AAs, and then just keep an extra in the RC bag.

EDIT: I see that you can get the GT3C in black too, plus the Turnigy version looks more respectable. Phew!

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 01-11-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I take it that's a 3d printed cover for the wheel? Looks real slick. I couldn't figure out how to adapt an aftermarket wheel with the stupid power button there.

I'm very temped to sell my orange 3C for the black/titanium version. Not that I hate the orange, I just don't own anything else orange.

Radiolink RC4G or Flysky GT3B - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RadioLink RC4G radio not working with R4EH-H rx. Help big_poppa49 Electronics 6 10-13-2016 06:19 PM
RadioLink RC4G which lipo battery? big_poppa49 Electronics 2 10-07-2016 10:26 PM
Flysky GT3B solly98 Electronics 1 11-25-2014 07:58 AM