Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wheels spin after tx is turned off (???)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wheels spin after tx is turned off (???)

No idea what's going on here.

Vehicle is an Exceed Max-Stone 1/16.

* Stock 2.4g radio
* Stock receiver ( says: "2.4 GHz 4ch Fail-safe Enable")
* Stock Hobbywing ESC ( says: "WP 1625 Brushed")
* Traxxas 7.2vt 1200mah Series 1/ Power Cell

I've run this vehicle many times without issue but after running it today I turned off the switch that runs to the ESC then turned off the transmitter, and the wheels started spinning! When I turned the radio back on, the wheels stopped spinning. It did this several times as I switched tx and esc on/ off/ off/ on back and forth several times. Eventually I had to disconnect the battery to kill it.

Maybe relevant but dunno... Receiver has a "F/S Set" button but I haven't yet pushed a paper-clip in there to reset it. Also... neither the radio nor vehicle have sustained any hard hits, drops, etc. I'm pretty gentle with my stuff.

Any ideas?? Bad ESC? Battery issue? TX issue? I'm stumped.

Thanks very much for any assistance with this.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wheels spin after tx is turned off (???)

The failsafe isn't set to neutral. That's what the f/s button on the receiver is for. I think the procedure to set it is to turn on both tx and rx and press the button until the led flashes. It should then be set correctly.
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thank you! I'll go through the procedure to re-set it.

But I'm still wondering why all of a sudden this happened. Seems very random.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I recommend unplugging the battery as the failsafe. Even with the ESC "turned off", battery and/or electronics can get damaged by keeping it plugged in. Worst case scenario: your rig starts a fire and the house burns down around you while you sleep. Creating a habit of unplugging the battery could just save your life. ;)
https://www.google.com/search?q=lipo...rns+house+down
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Basic rules of RCs...

TX ON, then RC ON (plugged in).

RC OFF (battery unplugged), then TX OFF...

If you do this your problem goes away completely.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I turned off the switch that runs to the ESC then turned off the transmitter, and the wheels started spinning! When I turned the radio back on, the wheels stopped spinning.
Sounds like the ESC's on/off switch has gone bad. Very common. Just leave it on, and plug in the battery when you want to play and unplug the battery when done.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I genuinely appreciate the replies. I may go ahead and replace the esc if the issue persists. Also I'm pretty good about turning off the vehicle first and the transmitter second... realizing that this prevents a potential run-away. The issue presented itself again and again no matter what order I turned off/ on both tx and rx. It was just weird b/c if the radio was turned back ON, the wheels stopped spinning. The battery was obviously still connected through all of this but I always disconnect my battery packs soon after I'm done running and I NEVER leave anything connected by the time my rigs are back in the house... I don't even leave my phone charger plugged in when not in use lol.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Sounds like the ESC's on/off switch has gone bad. Very common. Just leave it on, and plug in the battery when you want to play and unplug the battery when done.
Yup, switch has gone bad and that's why you're seeing what seems like a new problem.

I'd even suggest taking the above advice one step further and cutting the switch out completely. Just snip the wires going into it and twist them together, small dab of solder to make it permanent. You never know when it's going to poop the bed completely and die into the off position.

Also, you should be able to activate the fail-safe by either pressing that button or possibly holding down for a few seconds until the RX gives you some sort of indication that a change has been made (lights flash I think)
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Very much appreciate the experienced insight that you guys have offered up. I'll go ahead and try to reset the esc but I bet I'll ultimately do as suggested and just get rid of the switch altogether.

Wheels spin after tx is turned off (???) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear wheels spin opposite from front!!! Hypergarage Axial SCX-10 23 10-03-2016 06:14 PM
Front wheels spin first hstk84 Electronics 2 03-15-2014 05:32 AM
Front wheels crawl over but the back wheels spin! burgerboy78 Newbie General 2 02-14-2014 10:40 AM
G10 beadlocks-wheels spin on tires. Colbstromer Tires and Wheels 6 11-03-2013 09:09 PM
Front wheels spin more than back Eagle-Mark Tamiya Clod Buster 11 05-22-2005 11:33 PM