Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can a bad servo kill a receiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Default Can a bad servo kill a receiver?

Hello everybody! I’m Matt....

Because that seems to be my issue. Brand new Redcat Everest Gen7. My 7 year old was driving it.On its third battery, about 40 minutes in, the steering went full lock to the right. Then without any input from the radio, the throttle started wigging out. Wheels sin, then stop, spin, then stop. Then, nothing. I figured dead battery. We put in a new battery, I manually centered the steering, and when I turned the truck on, same thing, steering full lock to the right, throttle wigging out.

So I took it home and consulted my cousin who is very into RC. He said it sounded like the receiver went kaput.

At this point, I was getting no response steering or throttle from the truck. Light on ECM blinking indicating throttle was not neutral. Blinking LED on receiver. Playing with throttle trim did nothing.

So I ordered and installed a new receiver. After binding it. I turned it back on, and steering went full lock right, then throttle started wigging out. I played with the radio steering and throttle, but nothing I did seemed to have any effect. Throttle just kept wigging out until everything just stopped working.

I contacted Redcat and they are sending another receiver. In the meantime, I am trying to find out what’s wrong because that’s how I am. I took my good truck, and plugged in the bad truck ESC only and was able to get forward and backward movement. As soon as I plugged in the servo... full lock right, throttle wigging out...
I disconnected immediately and put everything back together on the good truck. Is it possible for a bad servo to kill a receiver?

TLDR: Can a messed up servo kill a receiver or ESC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mofugly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Can a bad servo kill a receiver?

It's possible but also likely the servo killed the BEC in the ESC. A failed BEC can either drive the +V wire to ground or full battery voltage. The Redcat radio is actually a Flysky, and 2S can kill them - I've had some Flyskys work on 2S but also had one pop with a fully charged 2S. Pull the receivers apart and see if either of their yellow square caps blew. If so, hook a battery to the ESC and turn it on and check the voltage between the black and red wires on receiver plug. >8v can be lethal to some receivers.

When you get the new receiver & output was under 7v, only plug in the ESC & see if throttle works normal. After that stick it into the steering slot, set endpoints with the wheel and see if the steering can drive it. If that all works, it could be a bad servo.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes, it can and probably did.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Learn something new today. Never thought a bad servo can kill a receiver.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #5

Default Can a bad servo kill a receiver?

Thanks fellas. I’ll do exactly like you say Hydrocarbon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mofugly13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Can a bad servo kill a receiver? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 bad receiver? DTA510 Axial SCX-10 4 06-17-2016 04:06 PM
Trying to set up a Shift servo. Might have a bad servo? m1009cucv Electronics 2 02-11-2015 07:12 AM
DId I kill my receiver? War Pig Electronics 9 12-17-2012 06:38 PM
Will upgrading steering links kill stock servo? ApeMac15 Axial Wraith 15 04-26-2012 07:50 AM