Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HGMotor rebuild issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

Default HGMotor rebuild issues

Hey Guys,
I picked up (stupidly ) one of those $11 GoolRC or TomTop Motors made by HG in China, a 35T brushed. I'm new to crawlers but have been building motors for almost 30 years. Before even running it I decided to tear it down to "blueprint" it before breaking it in. The magnetic centering was so far off I had to move this weird pressed on brass collar on the shaft just over 1mm before it was even close, and now the brushes are off the end of the commutator! It almost looks as if they tried using an armature from a can motor in this? Anybody else run into this issue? Armatures from yokomo or trinity seem to fit just fine in the HG can.
makoman1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: HGMotor rebuild issues

Chances are they did just that, made the can armature fit. Is it possible to just wack the can to remove & reattach the magnets? Usually it's just CA glue or thin epoxy holding them in.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

Default Re: HGMotor rebuild issues

Heck they aren't even glued in on mine! I did slide them as far as possible to the endbell before working on the armature. Now for two other issues....the output end of the shaft stick out of the can about 3.5mm further than it should, and it hits the gear cover of an scx10II. Plus the can is made out of a thinner steel than a trinity or yok, but the OD of the motor is the same, so the armature air gap is larger, and the endbell ( same dimensions as a trinity ), slops all around in the can. Ok I guess that is three more issues . I think I am going to pull the magnets and bearing from the can, pitch the can and armature, wind up an old reedy/yok heavy stack armature and recycle an older trinity can with the GoolRC endbell with some decent brushes. They sure don't make stuff like they used to!
makoman1860 is offline   Reply With Quote

HGMotor rebuild issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuild able brushed motor vs non rebuild able motor jeeptec Axial SCX10 II 4 08-27-2016 10:18 PM
esc issues or elec issues camogonewild Newbie General 5 03-11-2014 11:19 AM
rebuild wirywrangler General Crawlers 3 09-04-2013 04:23 PM
r1 rebuild Rockwolf58 G-Made Crawlers 0 08-28-2013 03:10 PM
Rebuild of a FJ 40 Straightjacket 1.9 Scale Rigs 16 01-19-2011 07:22 PM