Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: So is HW wrong ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #21

Default Re: So is HW wrong ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
How about this, the customer is the average consumer which is generally clueless about electronics? Since I have to spell it all out, I'm saying the customer may have made a mistake and NOT KNOWN IT. All the normal guy really seems to know is "red to red and black to black". Throw in a blue & yellow wire and they go catatonic. I mean they have to put into instructions "do not insert penis into fan" because it will happen otherwise, literally.

Like I've said before, I know guys that can rebuild real big-block motors and TH400 trans blindfolded but give them a bunch of wires and they run away crying.

My point in post #16 is that it's possible it's a perfect storm of stupidity on both sides. I used to work for a place that dealt with insurance with a grey area for user-error and it was CRAZY how far fellow employees would go to deny the claim even for a $5 part. Most people are either "protect mother company AT ALL COST" or "IDGAF", to the point it eventually will cost them their jobs.

No happy middle ground, just like most posts in this thread - either HW is evil, SMC is a dick, or customer is lying. Sometimes blame is shared by all...
Exactly. It's probably mostly user error and the fault of the customer so why would SMC go throwing HobbyWing under the bus publicly? It doesn't even make sense.

I've never had a single HobbyWing failure, but I did contact them about firmware settings and they were very helpful.

Hell, for all we know the customer could be using a HobbyKing ESC and is confusing that with a HobbyWing.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I find it laughable y’all are arguing about a farcebeek post, SMC or Hobbywing
Im not gonna ........ Sheesh!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #23
RCC Addict

The customer is never wrong therefore he can initiate gladiatorial combat between SMC and Hobbywing and they both have to take his side.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

This! Belongs in chit chat. Definitely some laughable arguing over the silliest shiz.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #25
Got Worms?

Reading that facebook post.....It sounds like to me that the only irregular current is that the SMC battery can put out more current than old turnigy packs and is causing the ESC to burn up.

Heat is the square of current. So if 100 amps puts out 100 watts of heat then 200 amps will put out 400 watts of heat. If the SMC packs are marginally better than turnigy packs then they can create alot more heat in the ESC because the motor is probably begging for more current. Additional current adds ALOT of extra heat.

I would love to see some oscope plots of a battery creating irregular current output and the test plan they used to create those plots...It's quite laughable to think a battery has a choice in the matter of current output without extra circuitry to-do so.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Reading that facebook post.....It sounds like to me that the only irregular current is that the SMC battery can put out more current than old turnigy packs and is causing the ESC to burn up.

Heat is the square of current. So if 100 amps puts out 100 watts of heat then 200 amps will put out 400 watts of heat. If the SMC packs are marginally better than turnigy packs then they can create alot more heat in the ESC because the motor is probably begging for more current. Additional current adds ALOT of extra heat.

I would love to see some oscope plots of a battery creating irregular current output and the test plan they used to create those plots...It's quite laughable to think a battery has a choice in the matter of current output without extra circuitry to-do so.
I don't have any SMC packs, but based on the reviews of people on line, and people I know that run them, I am planning on replacing my aging Gens Ace packs with SMCs. Nothing I have read here has made a valid case for not buying them.

Unless there is something funky in the SMC packs, it will deliver whatever amperage the ESC draws. The only way I can see the pack being irregular in its current output is if there was a bad connection in the pack, or on the connector.

After reading as much as I could on this, it sounds like the user might have done something not so smart, fried his ESC, and tried to get it replaced under warranty. HW, likely sensing something fishy, likely gave him the "irregular current" line to not honor the warranty and to get him off of the phone. I am filling in a lot of blanks on my own here. I have several HW ESCs and never had a problem with them, and know a lot of people who use SMC packs and have never had a problem with them, take both our of the equation and you are left with the user...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I love my funky SMC packs

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Hang up and Drive
Like the arguments on this site are any better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
The customer is never wrong therefore he can initiate gladiatorial combat between SMC and Hobbywing and they both have to take his side.
Wow you brought up an excellent point! I never thought about it like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
LOL wut? (That's directed at the claim not you. It doesn't make sense and doesn't sound like something a reputable company, like HobbyWing, would say.)

I've used Turnigy, Gens Ace, Orion, etc batteries with HobbyWing ESCs in racing, bashing, and crawling and never had an issue.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-26-2018 at 07:39 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Am I the only one that doesn't base their purchasing decisions off social media or something? What matters to me is the quality of the products, not the way their twitter/facebook/et-al intern conducts themselves, and both companies still make great products.
JennyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't base their purchasing decisions off social media or something? What matters to me is the quality of the products, not the way their twitter/facebook/et-al intern conducts themselves, and both companies still make great products.
Not social media, but customer service. The way a company acts in public is an indication of how they act in private. If they can't even moderate themselves on social media, what makes you think they will address your issue.

Your only recourse is word of mouth, when they do something stupid on social media It is safe to assume word of mouth means northing to them.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Not social media, but customer service. The way a company acts in public is an indication of how they act in private. If they can't even moderate themselves on social media, what makes you think they will address your issue.
Buy high quality, RTFM, and you generally don't need customer service. Far as I'm concerned customer service is done when the product is made to a high standard. That's doubly true with batteries. Either they work, or they don't work. There's no real middle ground to be had where it kinda sorta works but there's a tweak that can be made if you email them or whathaveya. If it's a crib death I'll exchange it with the retailer for one that isn't a crib death. If it works, hey presto, no customer service needed. And the whole point of buying an SMC battery is that you're getting a well made pack, so the chances of a crib death are minimal.

As for Hobbywing ESCs? The 1060 I put in my antique Tamiya buggy has all the documentation I'm ever going to need printed right onto the case of the unit itself, with some quick jumper tweaks to change the few settings it does have. So again, there really isn't any need for customer service there, I can just read the label on the item and reconfigure it as the need arises.

If I need another lipo battery, I'm still very much going to consider SMC. They're right next to Gen's Ace(I have two GA 2s 5000mAh hardcase packs in my CA-10) in my order of operation there, doubly so if I can only put one pack in since I prioritize runtime and longevity of the pack over all else and SMC sells a 7400mAh 2s hardcase lipo(If I can make it fit this'll be the lipo I buy that buggy, so sick of the nickel pack's 10-minutes-and-dead capacity). If I need a cheapy little brushed ESC that's well made, hey, Hobbywing's my port of call!

Quote:

Your only recourse is word of mouth, when they do something stupid on social media It is safe to assume word of mouth means nothing to them.

I care that they still make high quality products. What their intern does on facebook is irrelevant to what their assembly and procurement staff do when building their products.

Last edited by JennyC6; 02-26-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I care that they still make high quality products. What their intern does on facebook is irrelevant to what their assembly and procurement staff do when building their products.
You can pay for high-quality products all you want, but no manufacture can produce products without a failure rate. Everyone has failures and its how they handle things that sets them apart, not blanket promises. Nothing the company does is relevant to its assembly because they contract manufacturing out to another company. All SMC does is choose a manufacture, set the guidelines on what they will accept and slap a label on it. No manufacture is perfect.

You're assumption that its only interns that handle social media is laughable and typically incorrect. Smaller businesses will have the owners maintaining their social media presence. Larger companies will assign customer service and support to handle requests. Social media platforms are legitimate customer service support platforms.

How those people act is reflective of the company. I'm no intern, but I handle my employer's social media presence and am responsible for everything that gets posted and express extreme caution before scheduling anything.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
You can pay for high-quality products all you want, but no manufacture can produce products without a failure rate. Everyone has failures and its how they handle things that sets them apart, not blanket promises. Nothing the company does is relevant to its assembly because they contract manufacturing out to another company. All SMC does is choose a manufacture, set the guidelines on what they will accept and slap a label on it. No manufacture is perfect.

You're assumption that its only interns that handle social media is laughable and typically incorrect. Smaller businesses will have the owners maintaining their social media presence. Larger companies will assign customer service and support to handle requests. Social media platforms are legitimate customer service support platforms.

How those people act is reflective of the company. I'm no intern, but I handle my employer's social media presence and am responsible for everything that gets posted and express extreme caution before scheduling anything.

It still doesn't much matter to me. All I care about is the quality of the product. The whole point of buying well made things is not needing customer service, that I'll be buying something that works properly, and while no company's perfect I've got a pretty good track record of never needing customer support going back nearly 20 years across all aspects of my life. And it's all because I buy well made things.

Buy cheap crap? You'll need CSRs to help you get it working. Buy something made right? Itt'l work right out of the box and the documentation included with it will answer every operational issue that pops up.

Last edited by JennyC6; 02-26-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It still doesn't much matter to me. All I care about is the quality of the product. The whole point of buying well made things is not needing customer service, that I'll be buying something that works properly, and while no company's perfect I've got a pretty good track record of never needing customer support going back nearly 20 years across all aspects of my life. And it's all because I buy well made things.

Buy cheap crap? You'll need CSRs to help you get it working. Buy something made right? Itt'l work right out of the box and the documentation included with it will answer every operational issue that pops up.
Documentation is a form of customer support...which you're paying for when buying SMC batteries vs cheap brands that have poor or documentation.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I bought SMC as a budget battery, SPC was the same type of company . I love both.

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
Documentation is a form of customer support...which you're paying for when buying SMC batteries vs cheap brands that have poor or documentation.

Documentation isn't customer support, though. CS is what you get when you call/email/visit the source of a thing to get assistance with it. The instructions and such packaged with the thing aren't part of that. You can have really good documentation packaged with the thing, but terrible customer support, and vice versa.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, either, good CS can provide backup copies of that documentation. Spektrum, Castle, Team AE are three companies where this was necessary for me in the past month. I went to their websites to acquire digital copies of the documentation, respectively, for my DX-6i radio, my Sidewinder V3 ESC, and my SC10GT.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Sorry didn't read all the post's...

I run smc with my HW. The esc will burn up if you turn off the 'thermo' And they are totally opposite from castle's 'method' of tuning. So i say completely user error. "Watch your temp's".... I'm well past 70+and then some... Working on 100+mph. 1/10 spec's only. No big motor in little car.

Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Buy high quality, RTFM, and you generally don't need customer service. Far as I'm concerned customer service is done when the product is made to a high standard. That's doubly true with batteries. Either they work, or they don't work. There's no real middle ground to be had where it kinda sorta works but there's a tweak that can be made if you email them or whathaveya. If it's a crib death I'll exchange it with the retailer for one that isn't a crib death. If it works, hey presto, no customer service needed. And the whole point of buying an SMC battery is that you're getting a well made pack, so the chances of a crib death are minimal.

As for Hobbywing ESCs? The 1060 I put in my antique Tamiya buggy has all the documentation I'm ever going to need printed right onto the case of the unit itself, with some quick jumper tweaks to change the few settings it does have. So again, there really isn't any need for customer service there, I can just read the label on the item and reconfigure it as the need arises.

If I need another lipo battery, I'm still very much going to consider SMC. They're right next to Gen's Ace(I have two GA 2s 5000mAh hardcase packs in my CA-10) in my order of operation there, doubly so if I can only put one pack in since I prioritize runtime and longevity of the pack over all else and SMC sells a 7400mAh 2s hardcase lipo(If I can make it fit this'll be the lipo I buy that buggy, so sick of the nickel pack's 10-minutes-and-dead capacity).
Be careful they like to flame people on this forum for 'being wise'... 5000mah packs run for 2hrs...they swear. I got a whole thread of peepee bashing me about it. Along with mikemce awhateva.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongluc View Post
Be careful they like to flame people on this forum for 'being wise'... 5000mah packs run for 2hrs...they swear. I got a whole thread of peepee bashing me about it. Along with mikemce awhateva.

SO good to have you back, with your blurry pics and immediate bashing of moderators and other very helpful members over long-forgotten horse-puckey.

(BTW - if you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm...)

And I get 2 hours out of my 4000mAh Lipos, this is a crawler forum - remember.

That onroad "thing" hiding in the fog of your picture isn't going to get the same runtime as the type of vehicles that we discuss on this forum.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Better?

So is HW wrong ?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something wrong with my installation or wrong mounting holes made? novaris Axial SCX10 II 19 10-16-2016 04:36 AM
what can be wrong? :( Jigs Axial SCX-10 19 09-19-2012 06:31 AM
I don't know what is wrong NickCrites Electronics 8 08-16-2012 07:58 PM
Something is wrong... kinglooie Electronics 2 04-03-2011 07:18 PM
Not sure what I am am doing wrong. Jslick Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 01-08-2011 01:27 PM