Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Suggestions to replace a cheap 130 motor...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Default Suggestions to replace a cheap 130 motor...

I recently finished a tinkering project where I placed hobby grade electronics and servo into a toy-grade Maisto rock crawler (as many people have done before on YouTube). I did not upgrade the stock (poor quality) 130 motors. After a few hours of use the front axle motor went up in smoke and the rear motor is close to sharing the same fate (given the smell coming from the motor housing).

I'd like to know if there are any hobby-grade motors available that have the exact same form factor as these toy-grade 130 motors that I could use as permanent replacements which won't burn out after a few hours of use. The form factor needs to be the same since the motor is completely encapsulated in a plastic housing specifically molded for this size motor. Altering this to fit a motor with a different shape would be incredibly difficult and not worth the time.

Forgive me but my knowledge of electric brushed motors is somewhat limited. I am not concerned about giving the crawler more torque or speed, I simply want to keep it as-is but without having to disassemble the entire truck every time one of these crappy stock motors burns out.

Any explanations, brands, part numbers, links, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!
pb1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Suggestions to replace a cheap 130 motor...

Basha Rocksta motors are available in a few speeds. Check hobbyking

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Is the can size of a 180 motor the same as a 130? In theory should a 180 motor fit perfectly in a mount designed for a 130 or are the dimensions different?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1592 View Post
Is the can size of a 180 motor the same as a 130? In theory should a 180 motor fit perfectly in a mount designed for a 130 or are the dimensions different?
Generally same thickness just a longer can.
From left to right
A Losi Micro motor, 130 motor,180 motor, geared motor

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

I ordered a few of those basher motors from hobbyking, hope they work well. I should expect these motors to last much longer than the toy stock motors? One thing I did notice is that the specs on the basher motors say 3v working voltage. The Maisto crawler outputs up to 6v to each motor if I'm not mistaken. I've seen some cheaper unbranded 130's that claim working voltage between 3 and 12. That being said, do I need to worry about over-volting these new motors?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Higher voltage & higher RPM are big factors in brushed motor wear. You are basically closing/breaking copper relay contacts over & over. The more often you do that & greater the voltage, the more arcing you get (the cause of electrical erosion - brush/comm wear). If I ran a 540 can that's rated for 12v at 24v, I wouldn't be too surprised when it wears out quickly. To make it worse, brush dust contributes to comm/brush wear if it's not cleaned away so high voltage compounds the problem in many ways.

One thing I've learned from real cars is RPM is cool til you realize it wears parts out quickly. One big reason gas engines "drop off" at high rpm so fast is exponential frictional increases. If you can make the larger motors fit AND gear them for the same wheel speed, you'll find the same quality oversized lower-rpm motor will last a lot longer.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
130 motor, maisto, motor replacement

Suggestions to replace a cheap 130 motor... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
130 size motor upgrade maistiododge Electronics 4 01-19-2013 09:22 PM
130 big block motor questions! thesnake505 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 02-12-2012 01:16 PM
130 motor, motor plate thesnake505 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 19 01-26-2012 02:58 PM
suggestions for cheap mrc motor gofaster427 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 16 06-12-2010 12:37 AM