Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What are the best batteries for the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #1

Default What are the best batteries for the money?

After a seven year break from messing with RC crawlers, my first being the original SCX10, I decided to get back into crawling, as I enjoyed it, and am loosing interest in computer gaming, especially with the GPU prices rising to outrageous levels.

A couple days ago I purchased a SCX10 II, and only need to decide what batteries to get. When I was crawling and trail running with my original SCX10, I was using NIMH batteries. Between then and now I bought an Exo Terra, and used Lipos for it, but gave up on it shortly afterwards, because of how difficult it was to change the batteries, and work on the vehicle, thanks to a few bad design flaws.

I have a little experience with Lipos, and will be using them on the new crawler, but would like to know what you guys like, and recommend for my SCX10 II, which will be set up primarily for trail running, with some crawling. I have the new Hobbywing Quickrun 1080 WP ESC, will order a twenty seven turn Holmes Hobby Torque Master motor, when I get a little more extra cash, and will use the Hitec HS 7955 titanium gear servo, from my Exo Terra.

I want to be smart, and chose packs that will give me good performance/run times, last a while, and will be worth the money, even if I have to pay extra. Because of the potential dangers of Lipos, I don't want to cheep out to much when it comes to safety.

I appreciate, and thank you guys for the helpful feedback.

Last edited by hlh3rd; 03-14-2018 at 07:26 AM.
hlh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What are the best batteries for the money?

I prefer SMC batteries, great prices, reliable, and you can choose your connector type on their site during the ordering process. I have 4 of theirs, love them...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

I run HobbyKing batteries exclusively these days.

They have this handy LiPo finder:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/lipo.html

Here's what I use:
Tamiya shaped battery for my Tamiya cars. Also works well in crawlers since they are lower profile than most other full-size packs
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...tick-pack.html

4200mAh shorty pack in my Ascender
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

6000mAh 2S full-size hard pack for crawlers and bashers
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html

2200mAh 3S compact packs when I want the lowest weight in my crawler
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...-3s1p-40c.html
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ive got cheap lipo betterys that have lasted 2 years or more ive had some pop in a few runs ive also had exspensive batterys last for years and some fail in weeks or days i got 2 of the same brand bought at the same time and the same amount of.run time and charge time for my yeti xl and one lasted 3 months and one is still usable 3 years later i have a super cheap drone battery in my wraith was $25 3s 5200mah 20c.battery it had all these chips and diodes and stuff on it that would shut the battery down if it over discharged or got.wet i just jumped past all.the ch8ps with a jumper.wire.and now i have a very cheap high mah 3s battery thats very reliable and nice and compact iv3 got about 4 mounths on it and i run it almost everyday dill it hits the low voltage cut off and it still takes around 5000 mah of charge every time i charge it it has around 300.cycles on it i think getting a good battery is the luck of the draw i dont think price or brand realy matter however im sure you have a better chance of getting a good one if you choose a quality brand usaly high c rated batterys hold up better but my cheap no brand 20 c out lasted my high quality high priced 50c battery in the sam3 rig so take it for what its worth
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i have been using smc 3s packs recently and love them. no complaints. like mentioned earlier you can choose what connector you want too.
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Turnigy is good, SMC is ok, but my new favorite is ProTek RC 3S 100C Silicon Graphene HV Shorty LiPo Battery (11.4V/3600mAh), I know these are more pricey than some options but worth every penny imo.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...116-17/p662759
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

^^^ I'd have started with those if they had been available, now I need to wear out 4 different 3S batteries before I can justify trying them! And, of course I recently picked up a pair of 4S SMC packs for use with a .....

(Revolver!)

Still. SMC are priced very nicely for batteries from an American vendor. And yes, I know they're still technically "from" overseas...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #8

Thanks for the info, and suggestions guys. This is a big help.
hlh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My vote is also SMC, they have been my go to battery for 2 years now. Their prices are great and I've never had issues with them. I found them after talking to some old time RC racers who suggested them.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Check out Helios Rc Batteries.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I've got two Gens Ace 2s 5000mAh 50c hardcase lipos in paralell on my CA-10 and I'm loving every moment of it. Found a nice deal on eBay, the pair of them for $60. Was gonna buy a single SMC 2s 7400mAh battery instead for the same price.

Iv'e also been liking the Hobbico LiFe Source 2s 1900mAh receiver pack I put in my NTC3. Might not be a bad idea for a lot of you to grab one of those to run your electronics instead of a BEC.
JennyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I run HobbyKing batteries exclusively these days.
Seconded. I run Hobbyking packs in my RC vehicles, drones, airsoft, etc. Havent had much issues with them.
JimmytheBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #13

Personally i run SMC batteries. No issues, so no need to change. I ran turnigy in my micro and loved them also FWIW
irvan105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

valuehobby.com

I run their packs in almost all of my rc vehicles. Never had one fail me. Prices are great and very quick to ship.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

"Best for the price" is highly subjective. A 30-40A rock crawler will make almost any lipo last a long time, while even the best battery will tank after a few over-charges/discharges.

I think Gens Ace & SMC are the best, be it low or high amps. Their ratings are reliable, not overstated like many cheaper brands. Turnigy graphene are also performing well in high-amp boats. For lower amps Turnigy (blue, not nano) and Zippy are great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
my new favorite is ProTek RC 3S 100C Silicon Graphene HV Shorty LiPo Battery
Have you tested the internal resistance of those batts? I'm always wary of expensive batteries, as I've seen a few expensive brands that were NOT worth the price. As in puffed in people's 150A+ boats because internal resistance was either crap right away or after a few runs.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lipos

What are the best batteries for the money? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new money? funny money robbio4422 Chit Chat 13 09-19-2010 05:30 PM