Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba X Castle Link Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Mamba X Castle Link Help

I did some serious searching but couldn't find the answer so reaching out for help. Now that is only after 1 cup of Starbucks so..............

I run Castle MMP, Mamba Monster v1,v2, the Blue Traxxas Monster and program them a plenty with the Castle link Quick connect so i don't have to constantly open the RX box up.

I picked up a Used TRX4 with a Mamba X that has my very first Aux wire ESC. Reading those pesky instructions leads me to my question(s).

On Pg 16 it has a warning "If your ESC has a 3-wire AUX connection (White/Red/Brown) you MUST disconnect it prior to connecting your ESC to the Castle Link USB adapter unless using a Castle Quick Connect Duo. Failure to disconnect a 3-wire AUX connection from the receiver may result in damage to the Castle Link USB adapter." The Mamba X has the White Wire for the Aux so that's kinda understandable (See below) but i cannot see any other Castle ESC that has a 3-wire AUX connection (White/Red/Brown). I of course don't want to blow up this ESC so what are they referring to? The current set up does not have the Quick Connect Duo so i will be getting that on the next order.

My current set up has the ESC into CHh2 on the Traxxas RX using the Orange/Red/Brown but the White Aux wire is not hooked up. I'll need to read more on the Traxxas RX to find out which channel i use for the Aux signal as there is only the second CH1, RPM & VT channels left.

Questions:
What does Castle mean by the 3-wire AUX connection (White/Red/Brown)?
Where do i hook up the Castle Aux Wire into the Traxxas ESC?

Thanks for any Noob Aux wire ESC help
Attached Images

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba X Castle Link Help

The Mamba XL X has a 3 wire AUX input, there may be others but none that most of us will use (the Monster X, Mamba X, and Micro X all use the single wire).

If your TRX4 has a stock setup (diff locks and 2 speed), there is no use for the AUX wire and no need to plug it in. To use that function, you need an extra channel to toggle the setting assigned to the AUX. You can get creative and connect the AUX wire to the 2 speed servo to adjust drag brake level based on what gear the transmission is in but that requires frequent log checks and some trial and error to get correct.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I bought the Castle Connect Duo for this exact reason...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I bought the Castle Connect Duo for this exact reason...
Same here, but then I think I was told by Castle that I didn't need the Duo for my application so I'm still somewhat confused.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-14-2018 at 12:28 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It's not mandatory, but you don't need to unplug anything else when plugging in the Castle Link with it. Purely convenience.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

As svt923 pointed out, the Mamba XLX is the only ESC that has the 3 wire AUX wire. The instructions manual applies to all X series ESCs, there is a more specific quick start guide for each product. The BEC on the XLX is a 20amp BEC which is too much for a single servo connector, so we had to add a second set of BEC outputs on the AUX wire.

The most common place to plug in the AUX wire on the TRX4 is to get a servo splitter and hook it up with the 2 speed shift servo. This combined with the rock race mode will give you drag brake in low gear and normal brakes in high gear.

While not strictly necessary, we recommend the Quick Connect Duo for the Mamba X and Monster X because it can handle more BEC current than the older QuickConnect.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

^^^ You guys rock. Learned something new today. Thank you for that, experience and explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
As svt923 pointed out, the Mamba XLX is the only ESC that has the 3 wire AUX wire. The instructions manual applies to all X series ESCs, there is a more specific quick start guide for each product. The BEC on the XLX is a 20amp BEC which is too much for a single servo connector, so we had to add a second set of BEC outputs on the AUX wire.

The most common place to plug in the AUX wire on the TRX4 is to get a servo splitter and hook it up with the 2 speed shift servo. This combined with the rock race mode will give you drag brake in low gear and normal brakes in high gear.

While not strictly necessary, we recommend the Quick Connect Duo for the Mamba X and Monster X because it can handle more BEC current than the older QuickConnect.
Robert,
First, thank you for responding as a MFG. Means a bunch to me and i am sure all of us. I was confused about the rock race mode a few days ago but your response here and other threads along with others made it easy to understand. Since i would like to take advantage of the rock race mode and the Aux wire, i ordered a splitter and the Quick Connect Duo. Looking forward to trying the on the fly drag brake. Sucks the Traxxas TX is basic and without your phone handy changing a % here and there will have to be on a new Radio down the road.

Thanks again guys.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mamba X Castle Link Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mamba micro pro/castle link help soundcolor Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 23 08-28-2009 10:21 AM
Mamba 25 and cc Bec with castle link rc4x4crawler Newbie General 0 05-16-2008 05:26 PM