Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dx5c with avc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Dx5c with avc

Just curious if anyone with the Dx5c with avc is running their crawlers with the avc on and having steering problems, reason being is I’m running a jx5830 hv servo with a 10a cc bec and I’m having some steering issues. The servo won’t steer some times without me throttling at the same time and was wondering if the avc had something to do with it thanks in advance.
DKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dx5c with avc

Never tried it on the crawler, but I'd imagine it wouldn't like sidehilling at all, and would constantly be trying to steer you downhill.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKOR View Post
Just curious if anyone with the Dx5c with avc is running their crawlers with the avc on and having steering problems, reason being is I’m running a jx5830 hv servo with a 10a cc bec and I’m having some steering issues. The servo won’t steer some times without me throttling at the same time and was wondering if the avc had something to do with it thanks in advance.
I had the exact same issue. I did some upgrades on my Wraith over the Winter including a new HH 3500KV Puller Pro and BLE ESC. I also put in a new Spektrum AVC capable receiver. I started the rig up and had stuttering/cogging on throttle and the steering was herky/jerky. I first played around with Castlelink settings for the ESC figuring it was something to do with the motor/esc combo. The cogging diminished slightly, but the steering issue (exactly like what you're experiencing) stayed the same.

I was stumped. I finally considered the AVC and sure enough, the Spektrum receivers ship with AVC enabled. (Simply turning it "off" at your Tx does not solve the problem). Basically, you use two bind plugs and go through a series of steps to disable. It will solve your problem. Here's a link. If the link does not work, just go to youtube and search "disable AVC on Spektrum receiver".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrR...yvsxfdpHWuIwHv
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I was considering buy one of these with AVC, not intending to use it on my Bomber, but other rc's I may have in the future, maybe I won't.
angrchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrchair View Post
I was considering buy one of these with AVC, not intending to use it on my Bomber, but other rc's I may have in the future, maybe I won't.
There's really no reason you shouldn't. If you decide to use AVC, it's there. If not, disabling it completely per the link I posted is simple. I would definitely not use AVC for any of my crawlers, but I have played around with it on my Baja Rey and have come up with some pretty cool settings for throttle/steering mix, punch, etc.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yep, I like AVC (turned no more than 1/2 way up) in my faster cars/bashers, just don't see any benefit to using it in a crawler. Buying the dx5c for $130 with an AVC receiver seems like the better deal vs $110 for the dx5c with standard receiver.

Related question: do dsm or dsmx rx's work with the dx5c? Or, what cheap/non-Spektrum rx's work with the dx5c's dsmr?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I don't understand why you would run with AVC on at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Yep, I like AVC (turned no more than 1/2 way up) in my faster cars/bashers, just don't see any benefit to using it in a crawler. Buying the dx5c for $130 with an AVC receiver seems like the better deal vs $110 for the dx5c with standard receiver.

Related question: do dsm or dsmx rx's work with the dx5c? Or, what cheap/non-Spektrum rx's work with the dx5c's dsmr?
It will run with DSM2 and DSMR RXs (this includes the cheapy DSM2 RXs), it will not run DSM or DSMX RXs (DSMX is for the stick radios only).
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I had the exact same issue. I did some upgrades on my Wraith over the Winter including a new HH 3500KV Puller Pro and BLE ESC. I also put in a new Spektrum AVC capable receiver. I started the rig up and had stuttering/cogging on throttle and the steering was herky/jerky. I first played around with Castlelink settings for the ESC figuring it was something to do with the motor/esc combo. The cogging diminished slightly, but the steering issue (exactly like what you're experiencing) stayed the same.

I was stumped. I finally considered the AVC and sure enough, the Spektrum receivers ship with AVC enabled. (Simply turning it "off" at your Tx does not solve the problem). Basically, you use two bind plugs and go through a series of steps to disable. It will solve your problem. Here's a link. If the link does not work, just go to youtube and search "disable AVC on Spektrum receiver".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrR...yvsxfdpHWuIwHv
Thanks I was thinking that the avc was the culprit gotta go and get or make another bind plug you would think that they would provide you with two.

Last edited by DKOR; 03-27-2018 at 10:19 PM.
DKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

@DKOR - No problem. It fixed me right up. Yes, I agree. As a manufacturer if you're going to have a function or procedure that requires TWO bind plugs, then include TWO bind plugs. Fortunately, I have Spektrum Rx's in all my other vehicles so I had a selection of bind plugs available. I'm guessing if you contacted Spektrum, they'd probably get you one out for free. Worth a shot any way.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Greatscott;5815463]I don't understand why you would run with AVC on at all.

I would NOT run AVC in any capacity on a Crawler. However, it can be a neat tool on GO-FAST rigs to dial in steering and throttle input, throttle punch, etc. I've actually had a good bit of fun playing with different set ups with it on my Baja Rey. Again, I would only ever consider it on a go-fast.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I would NOT run AVC in any capacity on a Crawler. However, it can be a neat tool on GO-FAST rigs to dial in steering and throttle input, throttle punch, etc. I've actually had a good bit of fun playing with different set ups with it on my Baja Rey. Again, I would only ever consider it on a go-fast.
I have never been a fan of any AVC/TMS style assist, but I do understand why people us it in fast rigs, and for those RCs that go 60+, it is very useful. But on a crawler/scale rig, it would seem that you'd be fighting it more than anything.

I have converted my Sl4sh over to a Rally, I have a couple of little things to button up before it will be running, and am thinking hard about using AVC. I have never used the function, but I think it will be fun to give it a try, and if nothing else, increase me knowledge in the hobby.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Greatscott;5815550]I have never been a fan of any AVC/TMS style assist, but I do understand why people us it in fast rigs, and for those RCs that go 60+, it is very useful. But on a crawler/scale rig, it would seem that you'd be fighting it more than anything.

I have converted my Sl4sh over to a Rally, I have a couple of little things to button up before it will be running, and am thinking hard about using AVC. I have never used the function, but I think it will be fun to give it a try, and if nothing else, increase me knowledge in the hobby.[/QUOTE

Indeed, AVC on a crawler will just cause issues. I've had fun tuning and playing with it on the go fast rigs though.

It really is true, we always want what we don't have! I have the new 1/10 Rally that I just upgraded with Castle Mamba X and 3800KV and converted it over to Short Course Duty. What's great about that platform though, I can literally swap it back and forth from Rally To SC in all of 10 minutes. 2 rigs for the price of 1 really!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #13

Sorry for the hijack but are you saying you can disable it on one receiver and still have it active on another or do you have to enable and disable the TX if you’re switching vehicles and want it on for one car and off for your crawler?

Last edited by Dochusker; 04-06-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Dochusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I want no part of AVC on any of my rigs. All driver, no nannies
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochusker View Post
Sorry for the hijack but are you saying you can disable it on one receiver and still have it active on another or do you have to enable and disable the TX if you’re switching vehicles and want it on for one car and off for your crawler?
All of the setting are set through the transmitter for that particular RX, when you change to a different RX, it has its own settings in the transmitter, allowing you to customize it to the RC that it is in. Plus, the RX has to have the AVC function, most of the 3-ch RXs do not have AVC.

Dx5c with avc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DX5C vs hacked GT3C dan1061986 Electronics 22 11-20-2018 08:17 PM
Spektrum DX5C MoA Voodoobrew Electronics 6 08-11-2018 01:23 PM
Spektrum dx5c sherman918 Electronics 6 03-11-2018 08:37 PM
DX5C Aux 1 colind Electronics 2 02-25-2018 06:51 PM
DX5C Settings ?? Browneye Electronics 3 12-31-2017 02:40 PM