Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle esc programming via Bluetooth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Castle esc programming via Bluetooth

Castle just announced the B-Link, or Bluetooth link, to program your ESC via app on your Smartphone. Sounds like a way to add adjustable drag brakes to the MMPs and Sidewinders without those AUX wires.

iOS app will release 4/27/18. Android users, you'll get the app one day...

B-Link Bluetooth Adapter

Castle Link™ ESC tuning is an essential component of customization for many of our customers. While our controllers are plug and play, the benefits of fine tuning your Castle ESC through the Castle Link Programming Suite have only reinforced the sophistication and value of the Castle brand. Not only do you get the ability to adjust many variables to enhance your experience, you have the assurance that firmware updates for future features and improvements for your controller are provided at no cost to you. Discover just how easily and quickly you can reign in tuning with the release of the Castle B•LINK™ BLUETOOTH® ADAPTER, which will allow most Castle Link compatible products to be programmed via Bluetooth enabled mobile devices using our free application, with firmware updating to be added soon.

The initial release is supported on Apple iOS platforms only; for Android users, a version of the app will be released at a future date, and the B-LINK adapter will be compatible. All current Castle Creations ESCs, many older units and the BEC 2.0 and BEC Pro are supported, for a complete listing of compatible ESCs and accessories please view this PDF file.

FEATURES:
WIRELESS BLUETOOTH COMMUNICATION allows you to interface with most Castle Link compatible ESCs and accessories to change parameters and update firmware.
COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT at 1.20" x .81" x .25" (30.48mm x 20.55mm x 6.55mm) and 0.23oz (6.62g), it can be installed in the vehicle or airframe without significantly increasing model weight.
CONVENIENT WATERPROOF DESIGN allows you to quickly adjust settings in the field without disconnecting or disassembling the model. It can stay installed in the model or be easily swapped between models.
FREE APP DOWNLOAD is readily available in the Apple App Store. Once downloaded it does not require a data connection so it can be used in the most remote of areas and won’t use data.
EASY TO USE application can be used with multiple B-Link Bluetooth Adapters or can store model information and allow you to use one adapter on multiple models.
PASSCODE PROTECTED with (user-selectable) 4-digit code to prevent unwanted tampering with your settings.
SYNC information between multiple iOS devices by creating a free account (requires internet connection to sync database).

calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Castle esc programming via Bluetooth

Thats interesting although its a bit expensive if you want it on multiple rigs.

I dont see any of the Holmes Hobbies ESCs that use the Castle creations software listed as compatible which is unfortunate, but maybe the list isn't complete yet.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, I'll jump on it once the Android version comes out. Not buying an Apple product just to allow use of the product, however.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The android app is in the works. When when started initial development the cross platform development studios were lacking in features and didn't have very good Bluetooth libraries. Better solution exist now and we are working on porting it to a cross-platform solution so that we don't have to maintain 2 apps in the future. We don't any sort of expected timeline for this, we are hoping this iOS release goes smooth so we can shift all resources to the new app.

It doesn't work exactly like an aux wire because in order to change the settings on the ESC currently requires a power cycle of the ESC to get it into link mode. We can make it happen without a power cycle but it will still cause the ESC to rearm.

The BLink sits inline of the throttle cable. It is intended to be left in the model, but the app will work if you move the link between ESC's as you need it. We understand that not everyone will want to buy multiple but some people will if they have their ESC buried in a radio box or under a hardbody. Our air customers are going to use that feature more often than our surface customers because their aircraft are often much harder to work on.

We havn't done much testing with it, but we did not lock out any Castle ESCs produced for other companies. Holmes, HPI, Axial, and Traxxas should all work since they are based on Castle controllers and have similar settings but we have not validated the other brands which is why we don't 'Officially' support them working with it.

Other features that are not currently supported but will at some point are downloading datalogs and performing ESC firmware updates.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for clarifying Robert
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

For anyone interested, the app is now live on the app store. Like our windows software it has a demo mode to see settings without connecting to a device, so you can preview how it will work without having a B-Link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cast...ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Old 04-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

This is a great thing, I'll definitively get one. Thanks Castle!
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

With the cost, I cannot see putting one of these in each RC I have. Any plans on integrating the technology into the ESCs themselves?

I am looking at the B-Link as being a CastleLink that does not require me to take the ESC (or entire RC) into the house to plug it into the computer for programming.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
With the cost, I cannot see putting one of these in each RC I have. Any plans on integrating the technology into the ESCs themselves?

I am looking at the B-Link as being a CastleLink that does not require me to take the ESC (or entire RC) into the house to plug it into the computer for programming.
We have talked about it but nothing in the works as of right now. While it would be convenient, it would add probably $25-35 to the retail cost of every controller. Would you rather pay the extra per controller, or pay once and be able to move it between models?

It also has a lot of issues that we would need to work through. The material we use to waterproof our controllers proved in testing to be pretty bad at RF transmission. We found it reduced the range to about 25% of our material we used to encase the B-Link. In the case of the Mamba X the aluminum case would also pose an issue to RF transmissions.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

so, has anyone heard the progress of the APK version? is there a BETA one could try? android and apple ( coding wise ) aren't too far apart. both are part xcode.

I am not looking to get the APK in FULL. i would like to try it with a 910V (rooted) and even offer any possible fixes if found.

am i better off looking on XDA?

many people use APPLE and there is nothing wrong with it. (had many apple products and they are perfectly fine items)
kind of like the FORD Taurus that sold so well.
nothing wrong with it, but wasn't for everyone.

mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprudic0404 View Post
so, has anyone heard the progress of the APK version? is there a BETA one could try? android and apple ( coding wise ) aren't too far apart. both are part xcode.

I am not looking to get the APK in FULL. i would like to try it with a 910V (rooted) and even offer any possible fixes if found.

am i better off looking on XDA?

I use esc link on my android to program my castle stuff. No, it isn't bluetooth but it gives all the regular features of a castle link & laptop in a convenient field serviceable package. I carry a hotwire 2.0 and have that app loaded too.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i have a hotwire3 in my buggy, and its not impressive to me. it could be a random factory failure, but sometimes it works , sometimes it does nothing. tried other devices, tablets, etc... i happen to like tekin, but this makes me question the options or upgrades. my srx8e and rx8 gen 3 are perfect and that ESC is a beast. simpler is better in this one odd case.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Any update on when this is coming to android?
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote

Castle esc programming via Bluetooth - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle ESC programming question Fishcharger Electronics 11 06-08-2017 02:26 PM
Castle Creations Programming by Castle BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 5 03-31-2016 04:32 AM
AE-2 ESC Programming WITHOUT Castle Link Squishy Axial Wraith 7 12-09-2013 07:02 AM
How do I use the castle programming link for my mmp esc? axial 4x4 crawler Non Crawler RC's 5 07-11-2013 09:09 PM