Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #361
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
A dozen posts from Harley in the last few days...

Because he is pimping a product........
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #362
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
Am I the only one that learned something from this little nugget of information? For years I have used the expo and end points on my Futaba 4PLS to "tune" the low speed throttle. Last night I set my expo and end points back to default on the radio and then logged into the Mamba Max Pro and changed the throttle curves. Basically copied the curves I had on my radio to the ESC throttle curves. Then I went out and tested. With the Puller Pro Stubby in my SCX10II I enjoyed awesome low speed control. Like watching a tire lug, one after another very slowly, try and grab a rock ledge.

JohnRobert, info like that should be made more readily available so we can get that extra performance from your motors.

Sounds like a good topic to cover in a video tomorrow. There is so much information spread out over this forum, keeping it in "one" location is tough. Youtube seems to be a great place to easily convey the information and store it long term, and is easy to search.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #363
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
As I say in the video, I'm probably the pickiest driver in the world and my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm up front about it. My opinions are strong, but they are also why I know how to make the best crawling motors in the world

I seriously hate when people in similar position to yourself do videos and reviews such as you did. I find it non-objective and self serving, which is fine if someone is promoting their product, not so much when they post/video/review a product they have some type of interest in.

That being said the fact that you freely admit your bias is very respectable and shows character. Whether or not I buy/own one of your products, I am more likely to trust your opinions and give it more weight when making my decisions. Not that my opinion matter, but I will say you have re-affirmed my respect for how you present your business and self.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 06-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #364

Thanks Ditchrat. I was expecting (and hoping) for a more favorable outcome to the side by side testing, on paper it should be far and away a big step for our crawlers. Over 1000 steps of resolution per rev VS 12 steps for a typical 4 pole setup, the tech is promising. I was anticipating it to really shine on the rocks and be a noticeable difference. Well, I did notice a difference, but it wasn't the difference I expected at all. During the conclusion of the video I start blushing during the delivery of the verdict. It was painful to deliver.

On the upside, this gives hobbywing a good chance to see what people expect and exactly what areas to improve upon if they want to meet the performance already in the market. I'm hoping they do. FOC has upsides when it comes to smooth low speed control, but getting it refined seems tougher than simply implementing it.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #365
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
Am I the only one that learned something from this little nugget of information? For years I have used the expo and end points on my Futaba 4PLS to "tune" the low speed throttle. Last night I set my expo and end points back to default on the radio and then logged into the Mamba Max Pro and changed the throttle curves. Basically copied the curves I had on my radio to the ESC throttle curves. Then I went out and tested. With the Puller Pro Stubby in my SCX10II I enjoyed awesome low speed control. Like watching a tire lug, one after another very slowly, try and grab a rock ledge.

JohnRobert, info like that should be made more readily available so we can get that extra performance from your motors.

Me Too !!!
I read that and was curious. I’m glad I tried it, much better low speed controllability !!!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #366
I wanna be Dave

I have never messed with the expo on my radio or the throttle curves on my mmp esc... I always thought the brushless I run had really good low end control. I for one would love to see a video on proper setup of the throttle curve on the mmp to gain more low end control..I am just starting to research this aspect of my system....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #367
I wanna be Dave

I thought that also. I wanted to slow OPIE down, and couldn’t do a smaller pinion as I was running a 9t.
I played with expo and felt the difference. Today I hooked the link up and played, what the difference is, I can bend the esc curve all over, not just a gentle bend as with expo.
I agree , JRH needs to show us all about that. It works so much better for me.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I for one would love to see a video on proper setup of the throttle curve on the mmp to gain more low end control..I am just starting to research this aspect of my system....

Recorded a vid on Friday that goes through the process of how I set up my ESCs for the low speed control seen in the video Should be done with editing in a few days.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #369
I wanna be Dave

Thanks John !!

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #370
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
This is just my point of view, not law..

It seems in the vids that from motion to stop, there is just a little movement and then the breaks kick in good, so just from the vids they have done a good job, But.... If you are hardcore,,, it seems the a brushed system is still going to be perfection....

Just a view...

As I had viewed the system back on my post pg5-post81-----this system has NOT meet up with a brushed system as of yet! If you can not see from the vids, then waste your money.....

John, thanks for your time in reviewing the system, as it was more help to me.

I believe that john has giving a honest review, my reasoning for this statement, I believe John knows he would lose a lot of faith in in this and other groups and in sales for being dishonest. I haven't seen this from his history.
I have seen and been done bad buy exrun a time in the past. enough..
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #371
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Recorded a vid on Friday that goes through the process of how I set up my ESCs for the low speed control seen in the video Should be done with editing in a few days.
Any chance this got up? Excited to check it out!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #372
Rock Crawler

It's up...
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #373
I wanna be Dave

Default Hobbywing Xerun AXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Any chance this got up? Excited to check it out!
Yep it’s up !

And shows the curve, also explained why I start in High Power

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #374

I cancelled my preorder. Not because of John's review. Not because of any one review. But because most non-sponsored reviews state they aren't worth the money at this point. I'm very disappointed because I'm a HobbyWing fan. Maybe I'll try again with AXE v2.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #375
RCC Addict

This video
https://youtu.be/6wvH4A_VqTs
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #376
I wanna be Dave

I'm willing to bet that V2 is going to be worth picking up.

They've proven that they've got the technology and a strong desire to play with the big boys in the brushless crawler motor and ESC field.

With the constructive criticism that they've received put into a slight redesign, they could have a real winner!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #377

I hope they listen and make some refinements. The hardware is there to at least match what regular systems can do, although I don't know how robust the main IC is. They need to have at least 10 bits of resolution along the entire forward/ reverse throttle range.

My assumption is that everybody involved during the development was a yes-man that didn't actually have something good to compare with. Or maybe they simply had no testing outside of the engineers doing parlor tricks on the bench. Operating it as a closed loop servo motor on the bench is great for a video, now give me that sort of control during startup with a full RPM range and not just as a single rotation positioning device.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #378
I wanna be Dave

After analysing customer reviews and sales results, I'm hoping they give it another go and get it right.

I think we have room for another choice in the crawler market.

But I still consider myself a Team Holmes driver - permanently stuck at the unsponsored amateur level, of course!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #379
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
After analysing customer reviews and sales results, I'm hoping they give it another go and get it right.

I think we have room for another choice in the crawler market.

But I still consider myself a Team Holmes driver - permanently stuck at the unsponsored amateur level, of course!
You have a truck that actually runs??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #380
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
You have a truck that actually runs??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
100% trouble-free, HH 550 21t Trailmaster-powered...

2 more HH powered rigs on the way, might take years to complete them, however
Attached Images

Hobbywing Xerun AXE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Xerun SCT norcallump Electronics 4 09-22-2015 11:17 AM
hobbywing 150a xerun esc on 2s lipo jvh22a Electronics 1 06-03-2015 09:52 PM
Hobbywing xerun 3656 3400kv Gvm23 Electronics 26 01-30-2014 01:23 PM
Hobbywing xerun SCT pro Cmarcan167 Electronics 3 01-18-2014 11:11 AM
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM