Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #461

Default Re: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

Watch when u acquire the Axe as with mine the Bluetooth doesnt work from day 1. But drag for me is reasonable for my own use. If u wanna strong drag nothing beats Hh brxl w/crawlmaster pro but all brushed tho! Which I do not mine! Again my opinion, after trying a few brushless I can get my hands on like roc412 both 1800kv+500kv powered by rx8 puller pro 2700kv powered by mamba x, hw axe 2300kv system, I found out I m a brushed person!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
yp.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #462
I wanna be Dave

New hobbywing axe firmware clearly states must be connected to axe 540 motor, I'm thinking it must be a typo because it just about set my house on fire. The new 01-00.2.01 Might be only for the 550 motors unless I'm just unlucky. Basically as soon as i update to the new firmware the 540 motor only tries to spin but doesn't instead of rotational force I get thermal energy which in certain situation might be great but right now not what I was looking for. Let me know if you had different results. as you can see, it clearly says it should work on a 540 motor.
Attached Images

Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #463
I wanna be Dave

OK so maybe I found out why it did this, for some f***ing hilarious reason HW decided to cut off the instructions about "AUTOMATIC" motor pairing....

and by AUTOMATIC they mean you have to do it manually...
OR else your s**t might burn up.
Yea im pissed, who knows how much life just got removed from my motor because of this.
And by read below HW meand google for more info we didn't link to on this page...
On a completely different web page I found more information....

I mean seriously If it's going to destroy your product maybe disable the motor until its been done?
Or at least make a popup for when you update the firmware.

If it wasn't for the smell of melting hot glue that holds the receiver an inch away from the motor I probably wouldn't have caught it before s**t got real.
Attached Images

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 06-17-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 PM   #464
I wanna be Dave

So after the "Automatic motor pairing" the motor works again, seems like the motor surges or pulsates at around 15% throttle, I don't remember it doing that before. It might be because of the 30% overdrive. Ability to select the throttle matching mode is kinda nice.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #465
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Welcome to the downside of FOC controllers. The potential for going wrong is far far higher than trap controllers.

Since I'm literally the only person that complained about the velocity loop, sounds like this update is just for me!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:59 AM   #466
I wanna be Dave

Don't know what a velociraptor loop is but it sounds bad, the motor vibrated, for a second I thought my drive train was bound up but nope apparently there's velociraptors involved then?
I tried pushing the car to move and help it along that's when I smelled the velociraptor whatsies trying to set my stuff on fire.

You can't like this so don't even try...
The bad thing about typing is its written right there, obviously I didn't mishear you but if we were talking in person, I totally would have misheard you and this stuff would be funnier... especially because IRL I sound drunk all the time because I had hearing problems, well always... but more so as a kiddo.

So this is how a velocity loop shows itself? I was expecting something faster like a runaway diesel engine.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #467
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

This is how a mistuned velocity loop shows itself. It jumps around the intended RPM but can't lock on. Its the same as tuning the PID on a quad, except that HW didn't give us the ability to tune the PID.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #468
Quarry Creeper

I've ordered the 540 2300kv package to try in a couple of my trucks.

Original style SCX10
TRX-4 Bronco
Gmade GOM

Hopefully it has enough wheelspeed and punch as i seen how tame it was initially but i see from firmware updates and the new ESC it seems to be a lot better now.

I'd like to fit one of the 550's in the TRX-4 as well but the 5mm shaft is annoying as i think 11t is the smallest pinion possible on that thickness of shaft.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #469
Quarry Creeper

Got mines installed now.
2300kv motor with the 1.1 ESC, on default settings and latest firmware.

Start up and slow speed control is similar to my Hobbywing 1080 with a Yeah Racing Hackmoto 13t 5 slot motor.
It has similar rpm to a 27t 3 slot motor...maybe even a little more but it's faster than the Yeah Racing 13t

It feels like it has more punch and more pop than the sealed can or cheap chinese rebuildable 27t's i've used.

It feels like it has quite a bit more torque then those 27's as well and significantly more than the cheap 5 slots doing the rounds just now (they're smooth, but a bit feeble)

Although i never tried this system before on the older ESC or firmware it seems they've improved the issues with the pool spool it had just over a year ago, although it might still feel a bit too tame for some people.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #470

It seems for super scale crawlers the Hobbywing Axe is absolutely perfect. For scale crawlers which unrealistically drag race and bounce up rocks you may need something else.
TerryTurnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #471
I wanna be Dave

Although I had initially considered the AXE F.O.C. System for my first crawler (Axial Capra), I decided to go with a Castle Mamba X & 2080kV 'Slate'. However, for my 2nd & 3rd crawlers (SSD Trail King Pro, to be followed by an RC4WD Trail Finder 2), I am back to considering the AXE F.O.C. System for at least one of these. The other ESC/motor combo I am considering (again, for at least one of these two) is the Mamba X (or Mamba Micro X w/ external CC 2.0 BEC), paired with a HH PP ('standard' 540, or 'XL' 550).

The TK will, in all probability, end up with a Lexan body (honestly, I haven't even started thinking about the body), while the TF2 will (eventually) have a Killerbody LC70 w/ completely detailed interior & engine bay. Put another way, the TF2 is to be a scale crawler, while the TK is to be more of a comp-style crawler (if it can end up as a true comp crawler (not sure what class), all the better).

So...the real question (or questions) here is this:

1) Should both be Hobbywing AXE F.O.C.?
2) Should both be Mamba X/Mamba Micro X & HH PP?
3) Or should the two vehicles end up with one of each (and, based on each vehicle type & intended purpose, which vehicle should/would receive each combo)?

I'm not asking about can size, or kV...just trying to figure out, based on "intended purpose", which combo should/would be 'best' for the "Trail King comp-crawler", and which combo should/would be 'best' for the "Trail Finder 2 scale-crawler".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #472
I wanna be Dave

I'd install Mamba X / HH PP STD in the Trail King, as it will hold up better to the increased power as well as fully utilize it - that's a premium combo right there.

If you really want to try the AXE system, I'd stick it in the TF2...

Also, I would not recommend the XL-sized HH PP for either, as it's not as good for fine low-speed control - it's more for U4 racing and the like.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #473

@Panther6834 It seems your TF2 will be a *Super* scale crawler where realism is key (it confused me at first). So I would use the Hobbywing Axe in that and the other options in your other trucks, where getting through competition gates cleanly is paramount and the way it looks whilst doing so and everything else is tantamount.

It took me some time to realise there are fundamental differences in crawling. Super scale (realism) and scale (general and competition) - Super scale being the minority.
TerryTurnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #474
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I'd install Mamba X / HH PP STD in the Trail King, as it will hold up better to the increased power as well as fully utilize it - that's a premium combo right there. If you really want to try the AXE system, I'd stick it in the TF2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTurnip View Post
It seems your TF2 will be a *Super* scale crawler where realism is key (it confused me at first). So I would use the Hobbywing Axe in that and the other options in your other truck, where getting through competition gates cleanly is paramount and the way it looks whilst doing so and everything else is tantamount.
Thank you, to both of you. I'm thinking what you (and others, elsewhere) suggested is probably the best route to take. Since I haven't started the TF2 (the parts I ordered are begging 'held', as one item in the order hasn't been received yet by Amain), I'm holding off on ordering the AXE F.O.C. System. As for the TK, everyone appears to be out of the Mamba X...but the HH PP STD was in, so ordered a 2200kV. Looking forward to both ESC/motor combos, although the AXE well have to wait until my next paycheck.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:18 AM   #475
RCC Addict

I've been curious about the Axe combo for a while, but I've held off because of cost, and also because of the continuous-RPM feature. I'm not sure I like the idea of an ESC that automatically increases or decreases amperage to maintain the RPM specified by the throttle, because it means I don't necessarily realize when I'm overloading the motor. With a normal ESC, when the truck gets into a difficult situation I have to pull the throttle trigger more to maintain speed, so I am immediately aware of the extra load on the motor. It seems like this combo would "hide" that information and make it easier to damage things by accident.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:15 AM   #476
I wanna be Dave

The dosen't add all that much power automatically, and even then it's an adjustable amount. If you don't hear your rig creaking or see your tires crushing under the load then yea you can break stuff. But so what.... You can break stuff right out of the box can't you? I've broken so any more things at high speed or from falling off ledges, that the absolutely nothing I've broken from putting too much torque to the ground from the axe automatically compensating seems completely negligible.

Not saying the axe is better... Just this isn't a great reason not to try it.

On 2s in a stock scx10 2, you probably couldn't break a driveshaft if you tried.

And even then, isn't that part of why you have a slipper clutch?

You want to know the secret to breaking parts?...
Install a Puller pro with full punch, full lock and full throttle, stuff will explode...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #477
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I've been curious about the Axe combo for a while, but I've held off because of cost, and also because of the continuous-RPM feature. I'm not sure I like the idea of an ESC that automatically increases or decreases amperage to maintain the RPM specified by the throttle...
X2, I'll pass on anything that automatically controls throttle input, I like to see and feel what is going on with motor, tires and traction and sometimes a slight slowing of the wheels as the obstacle gets more difficult is good...helps it hook up and climb. If I want more throttle to maintain wheelspeed, I slightly pull the trigger a bit more.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I've been curious about the Axe combo for a while, but I've held off because of cost, and also because of the continuous-RPM feature. I'm not sure I like the idea of an ESC that automatically increases or decreases amperage to maintain the RPM specified by the throttle, because it means I don't necessarily realize when I'm overloading the motor. With a normal ESC, when the truck gets into a difficult situation I have to pull the throttle trigger more to maintain speed, so I am immediately aware of the extra load on the motor. It seems like this combo would "hide" that information and make it easier to damage things by accident.
x3. It seems like this would have been such a simple thing for HobbyWing to make as an option in the firmware so that we can bypass/defeat it, or better yet, make it scalable from 0-100%.

One great feature of this setup is that the drag brake holds 100% solid. It would be nice if this could be implemented so that it holds solid in the controller's deadband area, then disables or ramps down as soon as you exit the dead-band region.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #479
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
x3. It seems like this would have been such a simple thing for HobbyWing to make as an option in the firmware so that we can bypass/defeat it, or better yet, make it scalable from 0-100%.
That is a great idea. I'm glad hobbywing thought of it, and put it in their firmware. Aparently it was a simple thing.

Honestly it kinda sounds like you guys just want to not like the axe.

Setting 2 throttle matching...

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-09-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
That is a great idea. I'm glad hobbywing thought of it, and put it in their firmware. Aparently it was a simple thing.

Are you trying to say that it's not simple? Like, perhaps HW doesn't have a billion other brushless firmware code sets that they could adapt here? Or are you trying to say that it's not simple because their firmware doesn't support user options that allow for simple adjustments to their parameters? You're losing me here...
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing Xerun AXE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Xerun SCT norcallump Electronics 4 09-22-2015 11:17 AM
hobbywing 150a xerun esc on 2s lipo jvh22a Electronics 1 06-03-2015 09:52 PM
Hobbywing xerun 3656 3400kv Gvm23 Electronics 26 01-30-2014 01:23 PM
Hobbywing xerun SCT pro Cmarcan167 Electronics 3 01-18-2014 11:11 AM
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM