Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #481
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Are you trying to say that it's not simple? Like, perhaps HW doesn't have a billion other brushless firmware code sets that they could adapt here? Or are you trying to say that it's not simple because their firmware doesn't support user options that allow for simple adjustments to their parameters? You're losing me here...
When I said "aparently it was a simple thing"
What I literally meant was "aparently it was a simple thing..."
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion...

You can just turn down the throttle matching in the firmware if you don't like it. It takes like 5 minutes.

Honestly the main innovative feature of the axe is this throttle control. That's its selling point. I aplaude hobbywing's innovation and bringing new features for us crawlers. Nobody else is doing it. That's like saying I don't like the Hayabusa it's too fast don't buy it. But you come in here bashing it, with out trying it. Probably because you saw some YouTube video of some crazy guy playing with his cones saying he dosen't like it for this reason.

There are legitimate reasons not to buy the axe, but you picked one that's not a good reason because it can just be adjusted out by changing one setting in the firmware.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #482

I sense some subconsciously covet the Axe, that's why they're here
TerryTurnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
When I said "aparently it was a simple thing"
What I literally meant was "aparently it was a simple thing..."
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion...

You can just turn down the throttle matching in the firmware if you don't like it. It takes like 5 minutes.

Honestly the main innovative feature of the axe is this throttle control. That's its selling point. I aplaude hobbywing's innovation and bringing new features for us crawlers. Nobody else is doing it. That's like saying I don't like the Hayabusa it's too fast don't buy it. But you come in here bashing it, with out trying it. Probably because you saw some YouTube video of some crazy guy playing with his cones saying he dosen't like it for this reason.

There are legitimate reasons not to buy the axe, but you picked one that's not a good reason because it can just be adjusted out by changing one setting in the firmware.

Sorry, sometimes it's hard to read sarcasm (or in this case, the lack of) in text. I thought you were being sarcastic.

I agree that the HobbyWing approach to throttle management IS innovative, and I applaud them for that, but I also realize that a lot of people, myself included, prefer a different, more traditional feel in our rigs.

If that feature can be dialed out in firmware, that's great. I've not heard anybody mention that it was possible to dial it out, so I assumed that buyers were stuck with it. More options for all!
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #484
I wanna be Dave

No sarcasm. Hobbywing put out some firmware to cover this several months back

Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTurnip View Post
I sense some subconsciously covet the Axe, that's why they're here
It makes you wonder...

Quote:
No sarcasm. Hobbywing put out some firmware to cover this several months back

Nice! How did it improve the feel of the system for you?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #486
I wanna be Dave

I've been testing my Capra with the Axe around the house. So far it feels fine? I have yet to get it out on the rocks though. I definitely can get a constant slow speed though, but then again... my finger was trained to do that with brushed setups too. I'll have to test with actual obstacles rather than just my foot though lol!

I have to admit... the bluetooth connectivity is pretty sweet.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I've been testing my Capra with the Axe around the house. So far it feels fine? I have yet to get it out on the rocks though. I definitely can get a constant slow speed though, but then again... my finger was trained to do that with brushed setups too. I'll have to test with actual obstacles rather than just my foot though lol!

Good to hear.

The foot test is my universal test as well

I hope Bluetooth connectivity becomes standard on all ESCs soon. The Bluetooth modules are too expensive at around $50. And having to dig out the wire from the receivers, like on most brands, is a PITA. HobbyWing ESCs are typically better because they have a programming part on the ESC rather than using the ESC lead to the receiver.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #488
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That is a great idea. I'm glad hobbywing thought of it, and put it in their firmware. Aparently it was a simple thing.

Honestly it kinda sounds like you guys just want to not like the axe.

Setting 2 throttle matching...

Thank you, GREATLY, for that info. For my Capra, I had initially considered the AXE F.O.C. System, but, due to a few "problems" (of which this was one), I decided to go with the CC Mamba X/Slate combo. I'm currently building a Trail King Pro, and will also soon start a TF2 (both builds overlapping should be "interesting"...lol), and I had been wanting to reconsider the AXE F.O.C. System for at least one of them.

In the end, I decided on the Mamba X (or, maybe, the Micro X) for the TK, along with a HH PP STD...but, for the TF2, I was really, really leaning towards the AXE F.O.C. System. Now knowing that this can be disabled (if I don't like it) in the firmware is FANTASTIC news, and had helped me make the final decision for the TF2: AXE F.O.C. System.

The programming chart you posted...are those the settings for disabling the auto-crawl feature?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #489
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Nice! How did it improve the feel of the system for you?
(Edited because rpm/throttle matching is what the axe does, automatically applying more power to maintain a constant rpm proportional to the throttle input.
Throttle control I guess I don't have a solid definition for but inappropriate use here.)

It didn't... I bought the axe because I wanted it to be The Axe... Turning down rpm/throttle matching, made it less AXE like...

Honestly most of you people are completely missing the point. You buy the axe system if you want rpm/throttle matching, and if you want that, it's the best motor to buy, because guess what, nobody else is doing it. If you don't want rpm/throttle matching, Why are you in this thread, just don't buy the axe, it's really that simple.

Quote:
It didn't... I bought the axe because I wanted it to be The Axe... Turning down throttle control, made it less AXE like...

Honestly most of you people are completely missing the point. You buy the axe system if you want throttle control, and if you want that, it's the best motor to buy, because guess what, nobody else is doing it. If you don't want throttle control, Why are you in this thread, just don't buy the axe, it's really that simple.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-10-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #490
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=Panther6834;5982425]T

The programming chart you posted...are those the settings for disabling the auto-crawl feature?

Setting #2 - RPM/Throttle Matching is the one. "Low" is no throttle matching at all. Supposed to be more like a brushed motor feel.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #491

Quote:
It didn't... I bought the axe because I wanted it to be The Axe... Turning down throttle control, made it less AXE like...

Honestly most of you people are completely missing the point. You buy the axe system if you want throttle control, and if you want that, it's the best motor to buy, because guess what, nobody else is doing it. If you don't want throttle control, Why are you in this thread, just don't buy the axe, it's really that simple.

You have me confused. I thought all scalers and crawlers wanted throttle control...
Old 12-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #492
I wanna be Dave

I pretty much got it just to try it. It's not a bad thing some times if you're trying to film your truck.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #493
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

While I agree with a lot of your points and that there is a fair amount of naysaying for the Axe from people that have never tried it, I have to disagree with this one.

The principle that the axe adds throttle without your input is the opposite of throttle control, in my opinion, and is one of the main reasons I do not prefer the axe over Castle. Yes, it will keep you going over obstacles without having to move a finger but a lot of us want to actually move that finger when it is needed instead of having the ESC do it for you.

With that being said, I’ve had the Axe system before and it isn’t as dramatic of a change that one would think from reading the forums. I didn’t feel like I was at risk of getting in a bind and breaking something, but you could tell the system was working more on its own versus an alternative and that feeling of less control partly turned me off of the axe.

The biggest reason I moved on from the axe is the point that started this reply, throttle control. IMO the throttle control of a properly tuned mamba x and a decent brushless motor (brushless for apples to apples) is unmatched by the axe. Not being able to set the throttle curve at the esc is a deal breaker for me. I hope it’s a feature HW brings to the Axe one day, given the way their system works I’m not sure how functional it would be with current features, but I’d give it another shot.

Aside from that, the ability to plug just about any motor into the mamba x, whether it’s brushed or brushless, for speed or for crawling, and to know you’re going to get the some of the best performance out of that motor possible, that’s pretty nice if you ask me.

I’m not saying the Axe is a bad system. The drag brake is excellent, it was quiet and smooth, and easy to program. But when it comes to throttle control, it just isn’t better than a mamba x.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 12-09-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #494
I wanna be Dave

My bad in that last post I meant rpm/throttle matching, instead of throttle control.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #495
RCC Addict

Quote:
The dosen't add all that much power automatically, and even then it's an adjustable amount. If you don't hear your rig creaking or see your tires crushing under the load then yea you can break stuff. But so what.... You can break stuff right out of the box can't you? I've broken so any more things at high speed or from falling off ledges, that the absolutely nothing I've broken from putting too much torque to the ground from the axe automatically compensating seems completely negligible.

Not saying the axe is better... Just this isn't a great reason not to try it.

On 2s in a stock scx10 2, you probably couldn't break a driveshaft if you tried.

And even then, isn't that part of why you have a slipper clutch?

You want to know the secret to breaking parts?...
Install a Puller pro with full punch, full lock and full throttle, stuff will explode...

LOL, fair point.

Is the AXE motor slotless or slotted? That is, does it rotate smoothly when unpowered or not? I can't stand the chattering sound of a slotted motor coasting at high speed, though admittedly that's not something that really happens with rock crawlers.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-11-2019 at 02:18 AM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:18 AM   #496
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'm torn on the benefits of Bluetooth. I bought a Traxxas Link module for the radio that I use to control my Summit and my TRX-4 a couple weeks ago. On the one hand, being able to upload firmware updates from my phone, through my Traxxas controller, into my Traxxas receiver, is a pretty badass thing to be able to do. On the other hand, none of my electronics have really needed firmware updates, and all of the settings I can configure via Bluetooth using my phone I can also configure using knobs and buttons on the controller. Certainly the ability to update firmware is handy in case of a major flaw, but RC electronics are not that complicated and it is entirely feasible to thoroughly troubleshoot their firmwares prior to release. I think the ability to easily install firmware updates may end up being more of an excuse for the manufacturers to skip proper testing rather than a way for users to get awesome new features on a regular basis. I mean really, what do you expect an ESC to do besides run the motor at a speed proportional to the throttle input? That's all I ever cared about, I don't need it to do anything else. If I really need more advanced settings, that's what my computer radio is for, with its graphical user interface that I can hold in my hand and make changes to without having to pick up the truck off the ground. Pretty much the only advanced feature I can think of that would need to be built into the ESC would be anti-lock brakes, since only the ESC can sense whether the motor is slowing-down faster than the laws of physics allow without the tires skidding. But that isn't even a particularly useful feature for rock crawlers.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-11-2019 at 02:25 AM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:23 AM   #497
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I'm torn on the benefits of Bluetooth. I bought a Traxxas Link module for the radio that I use to control my Summit and my TRX-4 a couple weeks ago. On the one hand, being able to upload firmware updates from my phone, through my Traxxas controller, into my Traxxas receiver, is a pretty badass thing to be able to do. On the other hand, none of my electronics have really needed firmware updates, and all of the settings I can configure via Bluetooth using my phone I can also configure using knobs and buttons on the controller. Certainly the ability to update firmware is handy in case of a major flaw, but RC electronics are not that complicated and it is entirely feasible to thoroughly troubleshoot their firmwares prior to release. I think the ability to easily install firmware updates may end up being more of an excuse for the manufacturers to skip proper testing rather than a way for users to get awesome new features on a regular basis. I mean really, what do you expect an ESC to do besides run the motor at a speed proportional to the throttle input? That's all I ever cared about, I don't need it to do anything else. If I really need more advanced settings, that's what my computer radio is for, with its graphical user interface that I can hold in my hand and make changes to without having to pick up the truck off the ground.

For me, the benefits for bluetooth are when for some reason you want to change some esc settings, but you have your esc tucked away in a hard to reach place like inside the cage of a Capra. Connect via bluetooth, adjust settings.. done!
Old 12-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #498
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For me, the benefits for bluetooth are when for some reason you want to change some esc settings, but you have your esc tucked away in a hard to reach place like inside the cage of a Capra. Connect via bluetooth, adjust settings.. done!
Which is why I installed the Castle QuickConnect...does essentially the same thing, at a much lower price. I placed the QuickConnect cable inside the Capra's fuel cell. Yes, I have to undo 4 screws, and remove the fuel cell's "lid" in order to plug the Link into the QuickConnect, but I can have almost 3 QuickConnect units for the price of a single B-Link unit. I don't mind the extra 45 seconds it takes to unscrew/screw the 4 fuel cell screws, especially if I'm saving a considerable amount of money.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 12-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #499
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Which is why I installed the Castle QuickConnect...does essentially the same thing, at a much lower price. I placed the QuickConnect cable inside the Capra's fuel cell. Yes, I have to undo 4 screws, and remove the fuel cell's "lid" in order to plug the Link into the QuickConnect, but I can have almost 3 QuickConnect units for the price of a single B-Link unit. I don't mind the extra 45 seconds it takes to unscrew/screw the 4 fuel cell screws, especially if I'm saving a considerable amount of money.

Yep, that’s what you need if you want to adjust the Yeti..... rx is buried in the belly, you don’t want to open that teeny little door. I dropped that in, ran up top by the servo , easy to adjust now!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #500
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Yep, that’s what you need if you want to adjust the Yeti..... rx is buried in the belly, you don’t want to open that teeny little door. I dropped that in, ran up top by the servo , easy to adjust now!

Hang up and Drive
I liked the idea of planning the Castle Link connection end inside the fuel cell, as that would help protect it from damage, and if the fuel cell is waterproof (or, can be made waterproof), it would protect it from "the environment".

Hobbywing Xerun AXE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Xerun SCT norcallump Electronics 4 09-22-2015 11:17 AM
hobbywing 150a xerun esc on 2s lipo jvh22a Electronics 1 06-03-2015 09:52 PM
Hobbywing xerun 3656 3400kv Gvm23 Electronics 26 01-30-2014 01:23 PM
Hobbywing xerun SCT pro Cmarcan167 Electronics 3 01-18-2014 11:11 AM
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM