Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #541

Default Re: Hobbywing Xerun AXE

Could anybody tell whether the Axe system has internal motor and ESC temperature sensors which can be monitored live via the HW Link app? I downloaded the app and see that in the Data Record page there are columns for max temp of both motor and the ESC but as I have no ESC connected, it is unclear whether these will work with the Axe system.

Asking to understand whether I need to buy the external temp sensors for Traxxas Telemetry system.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #542
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
Could anybody tell whether the Axe system has internal motor and ESC temperature sensors which can be monitored live via the HW Link app? I downloaded the app and see that in the Data Record page there are columns for max temp of both motor and the ESC but as I have no ESC connected, it is unclear whether these will work with the Axe system.

Asking to understand whether I need to buy the external temp sensors for Traxxas Telemetry system.
The AXE user manual specifies that both the ESC and motor have thermal protection, so there must be temperature sensors. Whether the numeric temperature value is reported to the UI, I can't say.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #543
Quarry Creeper

I’ve been trying the XeRun 540 2300kv, scxii based, gcm lrt, boomracing fat axles....

I keep overheating,... engine gets hot! It seems geared so slow that I tend to carry the rig a lot when trailing (always on a mission;) I also have a faux engine cover? This is during winter, ...starting to warm up (8* Celsius today)...

I can’t find too much info on the Axe and heating issues..., drivetrain all runs smoothly, freely, easily moves by hand...

Appreciate any help or comments

lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #544
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkvisser View Post
I’ve been trying the XeRun 540 2300kv, scxii based, gcm lrt, boomracing fat axles....

I keep overheating,... engine gets hot! It seems geared so slow that I tend to carry the rig a lot when trailing (always on a mission;) I also have a faux engine cover? This is during winter, ...starting to warm up (8* Celsius today)...

I can’t find too much info on the Axe and heating issues..., drivetrain all runs smoothly, freely, easily moves by hand...

Appreciate any help or comments
Perhaps your gear mesh between the pinion & spur gears is too tight. Mine was, but now it runs cooler from slightly adjusting the gear mesh.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:22 AM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post

I have the ver1 and there isnt any temp on the app.
TAOTAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #546
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C controls YOU View Post
Perhaps your gear mesh between the pinion & spur gears is too tight. Mine was, but now it runs cooler from slightly adjusting the gear mesh.

With the GCM let everything is preset., even the motor to motor mount has next to no ability to adjust. Regardless I tore it out to find this (couldn’t remember..), there’s quite a bit of play(nothing too tight).
Could it be the gearing is too low., similar to running with a 2 speed on low gear (for a 2km hike)?
Plus engine cover that keeps heat in....

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #547
Pebble Pounder

Hi All,

I have another thread going on in the electronics section But i've been combing this thread to see if there's anyone else that has ran into this problem (Admin please delete if i am spamming this section but maybe some of the members who have posted in this thread has some insight on my situation):

I'm not able to get my set up running as i am running:

30112100 AXE esc
550 motor 2700kv

the 30112100 manual list (540 motors):

30112101 V1.1 Escs do list 540/550 motors are compatible (show my older version as compatible as well:

Per the website: New Firmware for the XeRun AXE Power System is Released_Press Release_HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

it states "update firmware... AXE ESC must be connected to axe 540 motor."

My esc won't connect to the app nor respond to anything i do to it which it only flashes green & red LED lights (which i think the troubleshoot codes says sensor wire not connected.

So since i have older esc and 550 motor.... anyone know a way to update the firmware on the esc w/o a motor connected?

Hope the above makes any sense :(

I've searched the HW website for 30112100 but no information is listed :(
food2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #548
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by food2000 View Post
Hi All,

I have another thread going on in the electronics section But i've been combing this thread to see if there's anyone else that has ran into this problem (Admin please delete if i am spamming this section but maybe some of the members who have posted in this thread has some :(
FOOD, I am 100% positive you have the incorrect (old) ESC. The version 1.1 was introduced with the 550s.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #549
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C controls YOU View Post
FOOD, I am 100% positive you have the incorrect (old) ESC. The version 1.1 was introduced with the 550s.

I'm also onboard that yes, i have the old version and with the updated firmware, it will run the 550 motors but... problem is.. getting the esc to update the firmware w/ a 550 motor or without the 540 motor present.

i get the green/red flashing which means sensor wire.. the esc won't do anything and per the website... it states much be connected to the right motor to update.

So.. i have an older esc which will run a 550 motor once updated but... i have no 540 motor laying around to allow the esc to update.

I'll call HW tomorrow to see if there's work-around..
Old 04-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #550

Is there any difference in the smoothness at low speed crawling between the 550 and 540 size motors?
Zoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #551
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoqi View Post
Is there any difference in the smoothness at low speed crawling between the 550 and 540 size motors?

I can weigh in about 1 week

I have the 550 in 1 rig and ordering a 540 motor for the 2nd rig (both scx10 ii).
Old 04-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #552
Pebble Pounder

Hello all,

I just purchased an AXE 540 2300kv system with the V1.1 ESC. While installing the app on my phone, it said the firmware installed was the 1-00.2.02 version and it asked me if I wanted to update to the 2.03 version. I didn’t yet as I can’t find anything online that says what the difference is.

Do any of you know what the difference is between the 2.02 and 2.03 firmware.

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #553

Im looking at getting a 550 axe combo, but cant decide on the 2700 or the 3300kv motor, has anyone got some insight at to the differences and what is better over all.

I am not looking for speed and it is going into a trail king,

TIA
CriMiN4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriMiN4L View Post
Im looking at getting a 550 axe combo, but cant decide on the 2700 or the 3300kv motor, has anyone got some insight at to the differences and what is better over all.

TIA
I currently have both the 540 2300kV and the 550 3300kV.
The 3300kV is on a TRX4 with two-speed and is a little bit too fast on the second gear to be honest. The 2300kV is in an Element Enduro and that one is maybe a bit too slow for me with single-speed.
If I were to pick again for my TRX4 then I would have bought the 2700kV and run it with either the 12T pinion that comes with it or an 11T.
I plan to switch the 3300 over to my Element and gear as low as possible. I think 3300kV with lowest possible gearing would be a great match for that truck. Both the 2700kV and 3300kV should be nearly identical in startup speed and smoothness, it's all about the gearing. Both my 2300kV and 3300kV are very smooth, even more so with a nice radio throttle curve.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoqi View Post
I currently have both the 540 2300kV and the 550 3300kV.
The 3300kV is on a TRX4 with two-speed and is a little bit too fast on the second gear to be honest. The 2300kV is in an Element Enduro and that one is maybe a bit too slow for me with single-speed.
If I were to pick again for my TRX4 then I would have bought the 2700kV and run it with either the 12T pinion that comes with it or an 11T.
I plan to switch the 3300 over to my Element and gear as low as possible. I think 3300kV with lowest possible gearing would be a great match for that truck. Both the 2700kV and 3300kV should be nearly identical in startup speed and smoothness, it's all about the gearing. Both my 2300kV and 3300kV are very smooth, even more so with a nice radio throttle curve.
So both the 2700 and 3300 are the same for take off, but what about speed difference, if both were using the same pinion.

Right now trying to get a 3300 here is next to impossible but there are 2700 ones available, and I would rather wait if you think it would be more benificial.

The last thing I am looking for is a basher or having the speed to be one. but the punch power between the 2 of them, whether its the same, or negliable, and only at their top speed shows a difference.

If its only top speed I would go for the 2700, as I said getting a 3300 is next to impossible atm.
CriMiN4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #556
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

TIA
I have to 2200kv axe 540 v1. I bought it because I saw some one else who had it and it seemed to creep really slow. My v1 however will not creep as slow. I like my mamba x/ puller pro 2200kv much more. It creeps better, can run on up to 6s, the esc doesn't take up nearly as much space, the sensor wire doesn't have a giant sensor plug that forces you to mount the esc in certain ways or the cable management is horrendous, better programming with castle link (that Bluetooth connection makes me cringe it so buggy from 2 feet away), and it has more power for the size.

I don't hate the AXE's performance, I like the constant velocity feature, It means if you cant gear any lower it fakes like the motor has more torque by applying more power. But you could just get more power with a Holmes motor. The axe is also very quiet, which is nice. I wont say its bad, Its just not my cup of tea, I wont be getting a second one mostly because of the sensor plug size.

This is just my experience, maybe some of these issues have been ironed out with newer hardware versions.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #557

Quote:
So both the 2700 and 3300 are the same for take off, but what about speed difference, if both were using the same pinion.

Right now trying to get a 3300 here is next to impossible but there are 2700 ones available, and I would rather wait if you think it would be more benificial.

The last thing I am looking for is a basher or having the speed to be one. but the punch power between the 2 of them, whether its the same, or negliable, and only at their top speed shows a difference.

If its only top speed I would go for the 2700, as I said getting a 3300 is next to impossible atm.
I don't think there are that much difference in the punch between an Axe 2700kV and 3300kV. They are both going to provide enough for a Rock Crawler imo. However going from a 540 size motor to a 550 should pack a fair bit more punch and torque.

I would prefer the 2700kV in my TRX4 because of the two-speed. In my Element I would prefer 3300kv and 16T/87T 48P gearing with a throttle curve on radio. But this is because of the speed. I prefer a slightly faster rig as long as it can maintain the smooth low end.

But that being said, I do prefer Holmes Puller Pro over Axe. They are stronger, punchier and a better performing motor. The reason I have gotten Axe for two of my rigs are the price / performance ratio and because I wanted to try FOC and the drag brake. I can get an Axe System for 190-240USD while a Holmes combo would be 380USD in my area. My go to motor would really be a Holmes 2700kV standard or stubby, lower weight than a 550 Axe (the 550 Axe is heavy at 284grams) and tons of power and performance with 4S capabilities.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #558

I went with the AXE system 540/1800kv. To start out with in my SC10 iii . I guess if I need to I can always buy the 550 motor and run that later, but I like how everything thing fits for now
RcHydronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #559
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydronut View Post
I went with the AXE system 540/1800kv. To start out with in my SC10 iii . I guess if I need to I can always buy the 550 motor and run that later, but I like how everything thing fits for now
I've got the 2300kv and I'm really liking it so far
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #560
Pebble Pounder

I'm trying to figure out the data logging function. I didn't see anything about it in the instructions but it shows up in the app. It never seems to actually log any info, everything is blank. I'm assuming the app needs to be running while running while driving the rig. I mainly want to see Temps on the esc and motor.
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing Xerun AXE - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Xerun SCT norcallump Electronics 4 09-22-2015 11:17 AM
hobbywing 150a xerun esc on 2s lipo jvh22a Electronics 1 06-03-2015 09:52 PM
Hobbywing xerun 3656 3400kv Gvm23 Electronics 26 01-30-2014 01:23 PM
Hobbywing xerun SCT pro Cmarcan167 Electronics 3 01-18-2014 11:11 AM
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM