RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   MOA with dual HobbyWing QuicRun WP crawler brushed (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/599534-moa-dual-hobbywing-quicrun-wp-crawler-brushed.html)

Shmilcat 06-12-2018 04:49 AM

MOA with dual HobbyWing QuicRun WP crawler brushed

Hi

Has anyone tried \ heard about some one trying to use a dual HobbyWing QuicRun WP crawler brushed to drive a MOA?

the price and feature set are attractive, so the only issue is weight, space and actual real life performance?

would appreciate any first and second hand experiences

Thanks

JatoTheRipper 06-12-2018 07:46 AM

Re: MOA with dual HobbyWing QuicRun WP crawler brushed

This ESC is powering my stock Clod Buster. That's an MOA, but not an MOA crawler.

ferp420 06-12-2018 08:18 AM

I liked mine on 2s after going 3s on it i dident like it anymore just blew smoke also on a clodbuster with 35t motors my new rain 480a brushed esc for $12 handles the 2 motors just fine and on 4s its not even rated for 4s let alone for 2 motors on 4s but its crawling around in 100°temps on a 1/6 scale heavy rig i only have 5 or 6 packs on 4s but no smoke yet the the hobby wing lasted 30 seconds on 3s i think i got a forward and back and about 20 ft out of it

Shmilcat 06-12-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5841161)
This ESC is powering my stock Clod Buster. That's an MOA, but not an MOA crawler.

single one for two motors?
are you happy with it?

Shmilcat 06-12-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5841176)
I liked mine on 2s after going 3s on it i dident like it anymore just blew smoke also on a clodbuster with 35t motors my new rain 480a brushed esc for $12 handles the 2 motors just fine and on 4s its not even rated for 4s let alone for 2 motors on 4s but its crawling around in 100°temps on a 1/6 scale heavy rig i only have 5 or 6 packs on 4s but no smoke yet the the hobby wing lasted 30 seconds on 3s i think i got a forward and back and about 20 ft out of it

did you run both motors from single ESC?

JatoTheRipper 06-12-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmilcat (Post 5841212)
did you run both motors from single ESC?

Yes, but you have to watch because the ESC has a motor turn limit. If you're running it in a crawler it should be fine. I'm not sure it would be as adjustable as you'd need for an MOA crawler though.

84yoda 06-12-2018 12:47 PM

Do a search in the rc4wd bully section. There is a few people who have used that esc (turned into dual esc) in there bully 2 rigs.

JatoTheRipper 06-12-2018 12:56 PM

I'm talking about the dual motor brushed ESC from HobbyWing.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...iant=901661765

WHITE-TRASH 06-12-2018 01:20 PM

I have a berg running dual 1080s. Big & clunky for the application and the stupid proprietary 5 wire switch that I can't just cut off like all the rest I own sucks but they get the job done without issue. Running 3s and 45 turn fantom motors geared up.

Voodoobrew 06-12-2018 04:08 PM

I don't think it has a dig function. That's important to me.

WHITE-TRASH 06-12-2018 08:00 PM

Any esc that uses a dig switch is junk. Dual escs and mixing channels on the radio is the only way to fly.

ferp420 06-13-2018 05:12 AM

Yup 2 motors 1 esc

Hydrocarbon92 06-13-2018 11:00 AM

If you run 2 motors off 1 esc & the esc doesn't make it clear what a dual motor limit is, it's generally 2x the turn limit of 1 motor. Meaning if it says single motor limit is 12t, a dual limit is 24t. Motor amperage usually scales well (inversely) with number of turns.

When it comes to MOA crawler, dual ESC gives you abilities like dig & pushing the load to the front wheels (higher wheel speed). It can increase crawling ability by reducing the tendency to try spinning/turning when the front lacks grip. For bashing it would only decrease motor limit while adding weight & complexity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5841161)
stock Clod Buster.

I...I can't understand that statement.

Greatscott 06-13-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5841426)
Any esc that uses a dig switch is junk. Dual escs and mixing channels on the radio is the only way to fly.

Yup...

If you are going to do it, do it right. You can get away with running two motors with one ESC, but you will have a big problem with clod-stall, basically when going up hill your back wheels will have more traction than your front wheels, there is less of a load on the front wheels and that is where all the power will go (path of least resistance).

Most aftermarket radios will have a MOA crawler mix function that will allow you to set up two ESC off of your throttle, and provide a proportional dig function as well. The ESCs you use should have a instant reverse and a good drag brake.