Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: promodeler 360 servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default promodeler 360 servo

Has anyone used this in scx10? looks pretty decent for the money. I read the threads on the 420 and 470 but couldn't find anything on the 360.

360oz-in ProModeler HV digital servo is waterproof, has metal gears, and 2BB

Last edited by discgolferlee; 06-20-2018 at 02:09 PM.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Default Re: promodeler 360

I've wondered the same myself.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

the 470 is twice the price and maybe a little overkill for what i'm looking for. I actually have been using a solar d772 in my scx10 for a few years and it has been great for a cheapie but it is starting to tire out. the 360 looks like a nice middle of the road option
Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think I will be the guinea pig lol. just ordered one. $10.54 for shipping was a little outrageous but still puts it at a 60 dollar waterproof servo with 360oz of torque and it looks like it's made well.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
I think I will be the guinea pig lol. just ordered one. $10.54 for shipping was a little outrageous but still puts it at a 60 dollar waterproof servo with 360oz of torque and it looks like it's made well.
That's why I never ordered one. With shipping it puts it right inline with the price of a Savox 1230. While that servo isn't waterproof it is a torque monster.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's why I never ordered one. With shipping it puts it right inline with the price of a Savox 1230. While that servo isn't waterproof it is a torque monster.
good point
I have only used savox 1258tg's for racing and was very pleased with that servo. oh and long time ago briefly the blue waterproof cheapie savox servo.
i have heard of some people not impressed with the high torque savox servos but never ran one personally
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
good point
I have only used savox 1258tg's for racing and was very pleased with that servo. oh and long time ago briefly the blue waterproof cheapie savox servo.
i have heard of some people not impressed with the high torque savox servos but never ran one personally
I like mine except for the darn noise, but it's always good to try something new like this ProModeler.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I like mine except for the darn noise, but it's always good to try something new like this ProModeler.
It will be nice to give it a shot. I do like that it's a small operation with good customer service and seems like they pay attention to detail and needs in a servo. not just another big company pumpng servos out the chinese factories
Old 06-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Default Re: promodeler 360 servo

I'm so happy with my 470 that I've had my eye on that 360 for a while. If it was faster, I'd be all over it. Unless you give it the full 8.4v, it's kind of slow. It's .16 at 7.4v and still over 300oz, so it's not bad... kind of a USA made version of the MG959 that I run in my Gen7.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I dont get why he charges so much for shipping. He says he has no control over it and that its USPS, but USPS has flat rate boxes that are only 7.50, and first class is only 4-5$. Im ordering from RPP and over a lb of stuff is still only 8$.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looking like a Monday scheduled delivery. Excited to try this servo
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
I dont get why he charges so much for shipping. He says he has no control over it and that its USPS, but USPS has flat rate boxes that are only 7.50, and first class is only 4-5$. Im ordering from RPP and over a lb of stuff is still only 8$.
I love when sellers claim that they have no control over pricing of shipping and it's more than what the carriers charger. He's tacking on some profit, but it's not much.

I'm not sure how you get anything from RPP for $8. Unless they added more shipping options their shipping charges were always outrageous for me.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I love when sellers claim that they have no control over pricing of shipping and it's more than what the carriers charger. He's tacking on some profit, but it's not much.

I'm not sure how you get anything from RPP for $8. Unless they added more shipping options their shipping charges were always outrageous for me.
The standard shipping cost is only 8$ now, and if you order over 150$ its free. Im in Iowa and they are in Cali, but it still shouldnt be more than 8$ to PA(I used to live there). I usually order from RPP on Amazon and they only tack on 4-5$ for shipping there so yeah. There is a lot of straight up lying to customers faces out there.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
The standard shipping cost is only 8$ now, and if you order over 150$ its free. Im in Iowa and they are in Cali, but it still shouldnt be more than 8$ to PA(I used to live there). I usually order from RPP on Amazon and they only tack on 4-5$ for shipping there so yeah. There is a lot of straight up lying to customers faces out there.
That must be a new shipping option. It was never that low in the past for me.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

super late as I have not had much rc time and been working but figured I would update on DS360 servo.
I got the 360 in a few weeks ago and it seems like top notch quality. Took it out for a light trail run with my son. really just trails not much for obstacles. I was not impressed with the power it had. seemed weak. not terrible but I expected more. It's rated and and recommended for 8.4v. I had it running off bec set to 7.4v. I decided to bump it up to 8.0v for a little more power on my next trail adventure with my boy. Fast forward about a week later got out our rigs to go hit the trails and fired it up in my living room to test out the servo at 8v. well a couple turns of the wheels and a gear gave up inside it. I was not impressed with my first promodeler purchase. I would have loved to go with the ds470 but budget at the time didn't allow it as a single dad lol. It seemed a little overkill for a trail rig I don't really beat on. I'm not the kind of guy who tries to free up bound wheels and such in rocks. I would rather stop and let my parts live another day. I ended up contacting John and he responded right away. We chatted and he basically told me it was not the right servo for an scx10 or any crawler. I was a little confused due to the advertised torque and metal gears and the fact that I have been running a $17 solar servo in this rig for the last 4 or 5 years with no issue other than it finally getting a little tired lately. He told me to send it back because it seemed odd nonetheless to die on me so soon regardless. Very good communication and customer service. Sometimes that makes all the difference. He could have easily told me too bad sorry for your luck. He called me today and we discussed everything including the ds360 and it not being a good choice. He offered to let me trade the broken one back for credit and upgrade to the ds470 for difference in cost. I appreciated his time and effort and we set that upgrade up.

end thoughts... I didn't want to drop a hundred bucks on a servo as I dont comp or anything so that's a little bit of a bummer.I really wanted a budget middle of the road servo. I was happy with his knowledge and customer service and I hear these ds470s are beasts so I can't wait to try it out. I would stay away from the ds360 for crawler applications, but highly recommend his products based on customer service so far.

anyone else try one out and have better results?

Last edited by discgolferlee; 09-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #16

That's very interesting, though unfortunate that you had to go through it. I had planned on using this servo for my Yeti build, now I'm second guessing that decision.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
That's very interesting, though unfortunate that you had to go through it. I had planned on using this servo for my Yeti build, now I'm second guessing that decision.
i would def not. especially on yeti. he repeatedly told me it was not designed for a truck type application. I asked so why would you have a servo with a decent amount of torque have a less than stellar gear set. it's designed for an airplane in his words. like i said i used it on 1 light trail run and then it crapped out just in my living room. in no way understating my use of it or anything. I was shocked. I think a yeti,bomber,wraith type vehicle may kill it in like 1 minute lol. sucks to be the guinea pig but i decided to give it a shot and happy he provided some customer service. I wonder cost wise what it would cost for them to use the same gearset as the ds470 or something at least stronger than the gearset they used in it. it states metal but makes me wonder what kind of metal it has considering the cheap servos I have used and seen people use for good amount of time. like i had stated before my 17 dollar solar servo has been in truck years and gears have been fine just seems motor is tiring out finally.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #18

It's interesting that he told you that. I just went back to the product page, and copied this directly from his text:

Quote:
The DS360DLHV servo is perfect for models ranging in size from 1.20ci (20cc) through to 120cc giant model aircraft as ell (sic) as 1/10th scale crawlers and rigs
Keep in mind that unlike crawlers, the Yeti employs a servo saver.

Quote:
it states metal but makes me wonder what kind of metal it has
Based on the picture, it seems to be a combination of brass and aluminum.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 09-06-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
It's interesting that he told you that. I just went back to the product page, and copied this directly from his text:

Keep in mind that unlike crawlers, the Yeti employs a servo saver.

Based on the picture, it seems to be a combination of brass and aluminum.
I'm not sure which gear went poo because I never opened it up. I was curious but he told me to send it back and he would make it right.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #20

I ordered a 470 for my Yeti.

The one on my Bomber is great, so I suppose there's no reason to screw around here. Now I can eliminate the servo saver too.

I may contact John and suggest that he consider a revised version of the 360 with more robust gears. Even at $70 I think it would be a good option, especially if he could add a cheap aluminum top instead of the plastic.

promodeler 360 servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
promodeler 470 sandstalker619 Electronics 23 12-07-2018 09:35 AM
Promodeler V3, nope V4 Ditchrat Electronics 42 06-12-2017 11:08 AM
650oz Promodeler Servo? rngrchad Electronics 25 12-12-2016 02:42 PM