Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 bronco needs some help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Default TRX-4 bronco needs some help!

Hey need advice...new trx4 bronco ....I know stock esc and servo is gonna crap out out shortly so I need opinions o. Replacement....local shop preaches castle....solid option plus they're local but I'm open to order and I'm new and need all yall help! Help!
Jameshnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX-4 bronco needs some help!

I recommend the Hobby wing 1080 esc it's $40 . I'm after a promodeler 470 servo but if your not down for a $100 servo. The power hd 20k has been a good servo think it's around $20. There's a thread about new cheap servo hotness you should check out though. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hobbywing 1080WP :https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyWing-Q...from=R40&rt=nc

DS3218 servo: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DS3218-Water...1.Xds3218.TRS0
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Castle is great, I run a mamba micro X in my scx10.2, that could be a nice affordable(ish) option for a TRX-4. If you want to be super safe a Mamba X would be perfect. If you are trying to go very low budget but only BARELY sacrifice abilities I cannot recommend the HW1080 highly enough! Its a great ESC; the only reason to go with a Mamba X is for the beefy built in BEC, more reliable LVC, and the ability to program a throttle curve. I started with stock, then went to HW1080, then to Castle micro X. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend, and how you feel about having spare hardware. I like the fact that I have a few spare ESCs and servos, some people may hate that.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I recommend the Hobby wing 1080 esc it's $40 . I'm after a promodeler 470 servo but if your not down for a $100 servo. The power hd 20k has been a good servo think it's around $20. There's a thread about new cheap servo hotness you should check out though. Good luck!
PowerHD has the 23k for around 40 too, Ive also ran the 20k. They are great budget options.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Servo and ESC failure in the TRX4s mostly go hand-in-hand. The servo goes into overcurrent, but does not pop the fuse, which draws too much current from the ESC's BEC, which fries the whole mess.

If you are happy with the XL5's performance, replacing the servo and powering it with a BEC will protect the ESC so that it does not fry. I changed out my servo a week after I got it, powered it with a BEC and the ESC worked great until I replaced it with a Mamba X.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
33m
Pebble Pounder

I also have a Bronco, using stock ESC. Upgraded servo powered by a Castle BEC. My truck is stock except for brass portal covers on all 4 corners. Forgot to add that I am running a 9 tooth pinion! Even in low with both diffs locked it rolls downhill, which in a way is kinda good. Prevents it rolling, but I can hold it with just a bit of reverse.
Servo is a Savox 1230SG running at 7.1 volts. Although actually measuring it with a multimeter it's more like 6.9v.
What I don't like about the stoc ESC is the weak drag brake, and the low voltage cutout for lipos is way too low. I bought the temperature/voltage sensor and bluetooth module for the transmitter. And set the low voltage alarm that way to approx. 3.7v per cell. Looking back now, I could of bought a 1080wp ESC for what i spent on the bluetooth and sensor setup.

Last edited by 33m; 08-16-2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added pinion infornation
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
33m
Pebble Pounder

I didn't know it was. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33m View Post
What I don't like about the stoc ESC is the weak drag brake, and the low voltage cutout for lipos is way too low.

Did you setup crawl mode on the stock ESC? Out of the box it's set to trail mode which I believe has a much weaker drag brake setting.
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
33m
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I have it set to crawl mode, first thing I did. When I say weak, I mean it let's it roll down a steep incline. Well pretty steep. I should test out how strong the drag brake is when the ESC is warm vs hot.
Maybe I'll mess around with the throttle dead zone.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
33m
Pebble Pounder

I just got home, and im actually running the Savox 1230SG at 8.1volts. And about the brake not holding, I did have my throttle trim off, but only noticed when I had a 2S battery plugged in. So now it holds well.

Tags
bronco, esc, servo, traxxas, trx4

TRX-4 bronco needs some help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX Bronco Exocaged Traxxas TRX-4 13 07-20-2017 07:16 AM