Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Reefs triple 5 not centering...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Reefs triple 5 not centering...

Heres a video... notice the difference at full extend on radio left to right. Only way to balance it out was to kick it over a tooth. ..

It's not about str8 up and down. It's about equal steering length at the horn from a center point.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b9552f6...062217_320.mp4

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by "MIS-TAKEN"; 09-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.
"MIS-TAKEN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by "MIS-TAKEN" View Post
Missing what's going on here guys.

Put servo horn on at 90degree.

It should swing say 45degrees one way 45 degrees the other

Not 50 degrees one way 30 degrees the other...

You will only get that 45° even swing in either way when the trim is centered. If you chose to center the wheels by adjusting the trim, you will not get even swing in both directions.

It really sounds like trim is not centered correctly on the tx/rx. Either you have purposely not left it centered, or it is not calibrated correctly.

When the trim on the radio is centered and the steering horn is at 90° with out the steering link attached do you still have uneven swing?
If yes: see if you can calibrate the steering on the radio (I don't think basic radios can do this), maybe it was calibrated with the trim set off centered. or maybe it is the servo is bad.
If no: Then there is no problem with the radio or the servo, and the problem is with installation and setup, or your perception of what trim does.

There is no rule that says put the steering horn on at 90°. I think it's doing this with that short upper steering arm is whats causing your issue.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

What’s the total degrees of throw per specs

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Heres a video... notice the difference at full extend on radio left to right. Only way to balance it out was to kick it over a tooth. ..

It's not about str8 up and down. It's about equal steering length at the horn from a center point.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b9552f6...062217_320.mp4

If you have the ttx300 that came with the bomber, the trim is dial 3, in the video it looks like you just adjusted the endpoints, which is dial 1.

Dial 1 changes the maximum travel from center, to increase and decreas the steering radius.

Dial 3 is trim and it offsets home from center, (note: it will not move the center of maximum travel, so if your servo travel is 90° center is 45°, if you adjust trim 10° home is now 35° and you can turn one direction 55° and the other direction only 35°.)
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What’s the total degrees of throw per specs

Hang up and Drive
Not sure. I remedied by offsetting the horn a tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If you have the ttx300 that came with the bomber, the trim is dial 3, in the video it looks like you just adjusted the endpoints, which is dial 1.

Dial 1 changes the maximum travel from center, to increase and decreas the steering radius.

Dial 3 is trim and it offsets home from center, (note: it will not move the center of maximum travel, so if your servo travel is 90° center is 45°, if you adjust trim 10° home is now 35° and you can turn one direction 55° and the other direction only 35°.)
No

I have two trims steering and throttle behind my wheel and then straigth which is what you see me adjust in front of wheel..

Again... radio steering trim set to center and powered on, turn car power on, servo should center up, and allow a even throw from a 90degree horn install. At least in all my other setups they do. That's not the case. So either servo is off a tooth or radio doesnt like this servo.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-26-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Why is there a trim setting on the steering channel if it ****s up the steering throw?

I don't think an option that is available on 90% of the radios would be "bad" and affect your servo in a negative way...

Unless most high end servos have 180 degrees of throw?

My holmes hobbies shv500 doesn't seem to be affected by my radio trim setting

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Missing what's going on here guys.

Put servo horn on at 90degree.

It should swing say 45degrees one way 45 degrees the other

Not 50 degrees one way 30 degrees the other...

This is the angle of the steering horn and not the wheels correct? (In the video I couldn't see that the angle was obvious sorry.)
because with the short steering arm (top steering link) even if the servo is all centered correctly, left and right at the wheel will not be equal, because of the arc the servo horn makes.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Then it's calibration of the remote or software in the servo.
By calibration of the remote, I don't mean the placement of the trim setting. Since you didn't have this issue before, it might not be that, cause that would effect all servos.

So it's the software, of the servo, not teeth. Teeth being off might not allow the servo horn to point straight down. But they won't effect the distance from home to right and home to left in this way.
The way to correct the software problem would be to adjust your trim away from center to tell the servo where center is suposed to be.
Moving the servo horn over a tooth will not make the servo center properly, your throw will still be Un even.

If moving the servo horn makes everything correct, and the wheels still each turn the same degrees from center, but the servo horn itself is not moving equal distance from center, then hooray.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-09-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I made a picture of what I am talking about

See if you have a short steering arm, you need to adjust the trim so that Home is not at the center of the full servo range, unless you have a funky servo that already does this for you because it won't center properly.
Attached Images

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-09-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I made a picture of what I am talking about

See if you have a short steering arm, you need to adjust the trim so that Home is not at the center of the full servo range, unless you have a funky servo that already does this for you because it won't center properly.
Has nothing to do with my issue. I'm not building steering links. I'm trying to get a servo centered. It's either the radio endpoints are not happy with servo software calibration, or servo is off a tooth from calibration

Old 09-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Why is there a trim setting on the steering channel if it ****s up the steering throw?

I don't think an option that is available on 90% of the radios would be "bad" and affect your servo in a negative way...

Unless most high end servos have 180 degrees of throw?

My holmes hobbies shv500 doesn't seem to be affected by my radio trim setting

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Radios are set to tell the servo to move 100% left, and 100% right by default.
The Holmes Hobby servo can actually go 125% left and 125% right, roughly.
So its possible when you adjust trim in your radio that it might be handled in a "smart" way that uses that extra 25% in each direction the keep the throw the same on each side.

If you adjust the throw in the radio to go left 125% and right 125% so you can choke up on the servo horn and get more torque from the servo with out loosing steering throw, adjusting the trim will not be able to use the extra 25% to correct itself.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Has nothing to do with my issue. I'm not building steering links. I'm trying to get a servo centered. It's either the radio endpoints are not happy with servo software calibration, or servo is off a tooth from calibration

It's $120 servo, the servo cant center properly send it back or ask for a replacement. I wouldn't settle for a servo that did this for that price.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

But it’s a REEFS !!!!
Can’t be a bad servo, I read Farcebeek and know this is the bestest servo ever made and the owner is an incredible dude!!!

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

I'll be speaking with the owner of the comp tomorrow they got great customer service.

Yes I will agree with an above statement not as fast as my savox... but 550oz of torque is sweet.
Quote:
It's $120 servo, the servo cant center properly send it back or ask for a replacement. I wouldn't settle for a servo that did this for that price.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Savox 2290

$120.00
If you follow directions.
Erik is the best.
https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/Savox-s...egory=13250680

Hang up and Drive

Reefs triple 5 not centering... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tripple.111 2010 tc truck tripple.111 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 04-14-2011 06:46 PM
BDW Tripple S ...yes another one! kineteks Axial AX-10 Scorpion 25 10-01-2009 09:33 PM