Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Questions on parallel charge board / New Reaktor charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Questions on parallel charge board / New Reaktor charger

Looking for info please!

I am currently sorting out my items For my new truck which is still on order from LHS and while looking at my new charger I came across a couple of things I wasn't sure about and couldn't find any info on from here or Google.

1. The charger has multiple balance inputs on the back, when using the balance board for 3s lipo's the connection from the balance board will be connected in the 6s port. How will this work with the charger when I tell it I am changing 3s yet the balance plug is in the 6s port? (I will assume that those ports are all connected in parallel inside the charger and it's just for the different physical connectors and their specific wire count that they are all separate on the exterior but the charger will only see voltage on the wires it's circuits are monitoring depending on what the user selects)

2. The charger has a discharge function however it mentions that it uses a "unique regenerative discharge capability" which recharges the input battery with the output batteries power so as not to waste the energy. I will be using an a.c. transformer not a Pb battery, will this charger not then allow me to discharge my battery? I don't yet have my transformer so I can turn the charger on to see the options or test it. It does talk about the power input in another section and implies the use of a transformer.

Thanks!

Last edited by niro750; 09-22-2018 at 06:12 AM.
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Questions on parallel charge board / New Reaktor charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by niro750 View Post
Looking for info please!

I am currently sorting out my items For my new truck which is still on order from LHS and while looking at my new charger I came across a couple of things I wasn't sure about and couldn't find any info on from here or Google.

1. The charger has multiple balance inputs on the back, when using the balance board for 3s lipo's the connection from the balance board will be connected in the 6s port. How will this work with the charger when I tell it I am changing 3s yet the balance plug is in the 6s port? (I will assume that those ports are all connected in parallel inside the charger and it's just for the different physical connectors and their specific wire count that they are all separate on the exterior but the charger will only see voltage on the wires it's circuits are monitoring depending on what the user selects)

2. The charger has a discharge function however it mentions that it uses a "unique regenerative discharge capability" which recharges the input battery with the output batteries power so as not to waste the energy. I will be using an a.c. transformer not a Pb battery, will this charger not then allow me to discharge my battery? I don't yet have my transformer so I can turn the charger on to see the options or test it. It does talk about the power input in another section and implies the use of a transformer.

Thanks!

1. You are correct, it only has different connectors because because they are physically different

2. I don't see why they would make a charger that has an essential function that you can't use without two batteries. It should be able to do everything on ac power. If I am not wrong, this function means you might be able to charge without ac power, provided your first battery can charge the second.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post

2. I don't see why they would make a charger that has an essential function that you can't use without two batteries. It should be able to do everything on ac power. If I am not wrong, this function means you might be able to charge without ac power, provided your first battery can charge the second.
A 3s battery is 3 batteries in series, if cell 2 is over charged you could dump that power into cells 1 and 3.

This is what pocket balance boards do.

, that's probably not what this Chargers talking about it's too early for me

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-22-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It means it'll put charge back into your car battery if you've got it hooked up to that as a power source. It will still discharge on a.c.. but don't expect it to spin your electrical meter backwards...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That makes sense
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have this charger, I dont think you can parallel charge with it. You are only able to get 20amps out of it....
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
It means it'll put charge back into your car battery if you've got it hooked up to that as a power source. It will still discharge on a.c.. but don't expect it to spin your electrical meter backwards...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Haha brilliant reply, it was in my head that there isn't a way for it to work on Mains at all but I did indeed find a video on YouTube eventually that detailed the 2 modes it has for discharging. Seems that the OEM version chimes with a great manual and lots of info. The 'Jobby' King! One has a tiny and poor reproduction of that.

Thanks to all for the input
Old 09-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
I have this charger, I dont think you can parallel charge with it. You are only able to get 20amps out of it....
I thought I would only need 3 amp for my 2*3s 1500 packs at 1S which is around 35w? And 6A for 4 batteries if I ever have them all at a close enough voltage to do that?
Old 09-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Even with "clever" balance boards I don't think it's a good idea to charge more than one battery unless the actual charger is designed for it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance connector, lipo, parallel board, reaktor, recharge

Questions on parallel charge board / New Reaktor charger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I charge a 7.2 battery with a 11.5 charger? donny8594 Newbie General 8 02-11-2014 03:02 PM
charger won't charge? 94smasher Electronics 9 02-14-2012 05:30 AM
Lipo questions- run times, balance taps, running in parallel, etc. wonder squirrel Electronics 8 03-13-2011 04:54 PM
Will my charger charge this? Flatty Electronics 2 07-03-2008 03:38 PM
Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC Charger...charge anything charger?? AWILLIAMS64 Electronics 23 06-03-2008 03:18 AM