Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo speed question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Servo speed question

I need to replace the servo in my ~14lb TRX6 after my Reefs 555 died, from just sitting around apparently. I'm looking at the Savox SW2290-SG for the price vs. torque. I would be powering this servo at 7.4V for the torque but would there be anyway to slow the transit speed if I feel it's too fast?

I ran a Holmes something or other direct power servo at 11.1 in my TRX4 for a while but I didn't like how fast the steering was (it has a Reefs ATM as well . Might end up changing it as well)

I'm sorry if this has been explained elsewhere already. I tried a quick search and couldn't find anything and I'm too annoyed with my Reefs 555 to dig more deeply.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 12-03-2021 at 11:32 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servo speed question

I've never heard of anyone wanting to make a high torque servo even slower. What is it about a servo that would feel too fast? If you want it to steer slower... then... steer it slower.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I've never heard of anyone wanting to make a high torque servo even slower. What is it about a servo that would feel too fast? If you want it to steer slower... then... steer it slower.
Maybe I haven't really experienced the speed of a true high torque servo. I suppose I should try one out first.

I just didn't like how touchy the Holmes was when controlled by the Traxxas TX. A very powerful servo (I've yet to any issue with any HH parts) combined with a fast TRX4 and the not super precise TX, it was a little too easy to lose control of it.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:59 AM   #4

It's more like scale if you can slower the servo. It also don't like if it is to fast...
cocoda74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I’ve run a couple at 6-7.4v just to slow them down. All have multiple ratings for speed/torque at different voltage.

Or find a servo who’s speed is what you want

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

While I don’t think there could be such a thing as a steering servo being too fast for me, there are several radios that allow servo speed to be adjusted as well as programmable servos from Hitec, Reefs, and other that would allow you to tune speed.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've never paid close enough attention to the speed rating on any of my servos to have a point a reference for how fast, or slow, .13 sec/60° is.

But it looks like if I want to adjust the transit speed my best bet is getting a higher quality TX. I've considered buying one anyway and connecting all my trucks to it, just for simplicity. Could I keep them bound to the Traxxas TX at the same so I can share my trucks?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You can use a shorter arm and increase the trim.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
You can use a shorter arm and increase the trim.

I had a pretty good curve on the HH when it was in my TRX4 but I didn't even think about using a shorter arm.

I'm no servo biologist, would the servo be able to apply it's torque more easily (less load/stress) with the end of the horn closer to the point of rotation, at the cost of maximum steering angle? That would be fine if that's the case, I'm planning to limit the angle a bit anyway.

As mentioned, I'll have to wait for the servo to arrive to experience the transit speed of a true "high torque" servo. I might be happy with it straight out of the box.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Shorter arm makes more torque but the arc of the arm makes the speed change away from center. I never have issues though.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Shorter arm makes more torque but the arc of the arm makes the speed change away from center. I never have issues though.

Okay. I thought I had that right in my head.

Thank you.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Some short servo arms can cause issues with the back locknut hitting the servo body. Just clearance issues. Use locktite instead.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Some short servo arms can cause issues with the back locknut hitting the servo body. Just clearance issues. Use locktite instead.

I prefer to use locktite rather than a nut anyway.

The other potential issue I see with a short horn is the fact that it'd be going into a TRX6. From what I've read, and in my limited experience, the TRX can be a little tricky to find a horn that fits and clears everything correctly.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I am not a Savox fan but I have had good luck with their 1230, strong but not as fast. It is a 6 volt but it needs amps. Unless you are running a ESC with a good internal BEC you will still need an external BEC for it to have all of its amperage power.

Last edited by MOguy; 12-07-2021 at 10:16 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The cheap metal horn Traxxas includes in the sport kit, and maybe others now, has the correct length and offset for the vast majority of 25 spline servos.

Many brand servos all have a different "deck height", meaning the distance from the mounting ears to the output shaft. Sometimes this requires shimming the servo up/down to keep the servo horn height correct to minimize bumpsteer and mechanical interference.

My Spectrum rugid allows you to slow down servo speed, but I only use it at 50% or so for dig, locker, and two-speed shift servos, seems to minimize strain and gear clash.

Last edited by meatmonkey; 12-07-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Stupid autoincorrect
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I am not a Savox fan but I have had good luck with their 1230, strong but not as fast. It is a 6 volt but it needs amps. Unless you are running a ESC with a good internal BEC you will still need an external BEC for it to have all of its amperage power.
I'm currently running a HH brushless ESC (don't recall the model name/number of the top of my head), it's internal BEC is set low for the shift and diff servos and the receiver. As well and an external CC 20amp external BEC set at 7.4, with a splitter, exclusively for managing power to the servo.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
I'm currently running a HH brushless ESC (don't recall the model name/number of the top of my head), it's internal BEC is set low for the shift and diff servos and the receiver. As well and an external CC 20amp external BEC set at 7.4, with a splitter, exclusively for managing power to the servo.

The 1230 is a 6 volt but likes lots of amps, not a good option for your setup. I have had a few 1212s. They are 7.4 and claim to be fast but they suck and get worse over time. Get one of those and be patient. It won't take long for it to slow down. Then it will get stiff and real slow and then it just won't work.

Do you have a remote that you can turn the power down on?
Old 12-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The 1230 is a 6 volt but likes lots of amps, not a good option for your setup. I have had a few 1212s. They are 7.4 and claim to be fast but they suck and get worse over time. Get one of those and be patient. It won't take long for it to slow down. Then it will get stiff and real slow and then it just won't work.

Do you have a remote that you can turn the power down on?
I have the patience to wait for a servo to slow down, don't have the patience to replace a servo that'll keep dying.

I'm currently using the original TQi TX that came with it. I can adjust the expo but I don't think I change overall power.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
I have the patience to wait for a servo to slow down, don't have the patience to replace a servo that'll keep dying.

I'm currently using the original TQi TX that came with it. I can adjust the expo but I don't think I change overall power.

I have the Spektrum DX5 and one of my RCs has 4ws steer. I have direct power on 4s and the rear was to fast so i was able to slow it down. With a good receiver and controller you can do that, it may take 10-20 seconds to change it.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have the Spektrum DX5 and one of my RCs has 4ws steer. I have direct power on 4s and the rear was to fast so i was able to slow it down. With a good receiver and controller you can do that, it may take 10-20 seconds to change it.
I've considered getting the rugged, or the FlySky GT5 (or whatever it's called) Something moderately priced that I can bind everything to.

Secondary question, If I got something like a DX5 and bound all my vehicles to it so I could grab the one radio and whichever vehicle I feel like driving, would they stay bound to the Traxxas TXs as well so I (and friends/family) could also drive more than one at a time? Or would I need to keep rebinding to whichever TX I/they are using?

Servo speed question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dig/2 speed servo Med382 Axial SCX10 III 18 05-23-2021 12:27 PM
2 speed, servo option Peaker Axial SCX10 II 0 10-12-2017 09:51 AM
2 Speed or not 2 Speed, that is the question. MAC FAB Axial RR10 Bomber 57 09-29-2017 01:03 PM
Servo and speed control BOB66 Vaterra Ascender 14 07-13-2015 04:30 PM
from servo to speed control? trost Chit Chat 2 12-14-2006 10:39 AM