Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New ProModeler Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Default New ProModeler Servo

I just noticed this on their site, I don't think it was there yesterday. 630oz-in.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default New ProModeler Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I just noticed this on their site, I don't think it was there yesterday. 630oz-in.

Wowsers !!! Competition for the 2290 ??

http://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 10-03-2018 at 10:31 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New ProModeler Servo

A link might help.
http://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
RCC Addict

^^ Now we have an upper and a lower link.

I'm going to have to try one of these Pro Modeler servos at some point.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

This one looks interesting. I'll try it out if I ever get a rig that begs for it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

maybe they can elaborate, but according to the specs tab, it's rated to 8.4v and at that power, only provides 470oz of torque, thats a far cry from the 630oz advertised. Maybe I overlooked something?
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
^^ Now we have an upper and a lower link.

I'm going to have to try one of these Pro Modeler servos at some point.
Haha there were no replies when I first read this.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
maybe they can elaborate, but according to the specs tab, it's rated to 8.4v and at that power, only provides 470oz of torque, thats a far cry from the 630oz advertised. Maybe I overlooked something?
Those are the specs for the 470, it says so in the corner of the chart on the specifications tab.

They must have used the 470 page as a template for the new servo's page and haven't filled in all the information yet.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I noticed that too... those are the specs from the 470 servo. I absolutely would have bought one of these 630's, had they been available when I bought my 2290. Too bad I don't have anything else in the works right now that truly needs that much servo.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Those are the specs for the 470, it says so in the corner of the chart on the specifications tab.

They must have used the 470 page as a template for the new servo's page and haven't filled in all the information yet.

Concur, John must not have noticed that yet, He is a member here, hopefully he will chime in
Old 10-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks like I have something else to put in my bomber. The G13 lasted a couple weeks, hopefully this lasts longer than that.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Here read and drool. John will get the site corrected

Final note: operating voltage range is 4.8-8.4V, but optimal performance is obtained with a 2S LiPo instead of a BEC. In part this is because we don't know of any BEC that can reliably supply the clean current our high performance servos need at the same time as the drive motor is making it's maximum demands on the propulsion battery. Moreover, even if we knew of a BEC (either incorporated into the ESC, or a stand-alone unit) whose output wasn't garbage compared to even the cheapest LiPo on the planet, our advice is still . . . you're way ahead of the game by isolating control-electronics from noisy propulsion-loads. Yes, we know this means charging two separate battery packs, and yes, we know this is more trouble, but a dedicated battery for the radio is better. More here: https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/T...thetic-voltage

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Final note: operating voltage range is 4.8-8.4V, but optimal performance is obtained with a 2S LiPo instead of a BEC. In part this is because we don't know of any BEC that can reliably supply the clean current our high performance servos need at the same time as the drive motor is making it's maximum demands on the propulsion battery. Moreover, even if we knew of a BEC (either incorporated into the ESC, or a stand-alone unit) whose output wasn't garbage compared to even the cheapest LiPo on the planet, our advice is still . . . you're way ahead of the game by isolating control-electronics from noisy propulsion-loads. Yes, we know this means charging two separate battery packs, and yes, we know this is more trouble, but a dedicated battery for the radio is better. More here: https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/T...thetic-voltage

Hang up and Drive
yeah I read the entire page as I'm in the market for a new servo for a project. The 2290, 3 brothers g13, reef 555 are all in the running and this has to be, but the spec chart didn't match the advertised power and operating speed so as of now, the operating parameters are kind of a mystery. I will say, that if this servo achieves that much torque at those operating speeds operating optimally off a 2s, that's impressive, but most likely not for me because I'll be looking to install into a 3s application. Could I run a seperate small 2s battery, yeah, but I don't want to do that, and that's why as of now, the G13 is leading the pack because of how it has seperate signal and power wiring and I can draw power directly from the balance port straight into the servo of the same 3s battery I'll be running.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
yeah I read the entire page as I'm in the market for a new servo for a project. The 2290, 3 brothers g13, reef 555 are all in the running and this has to be, but the spec chart didn't match the advertised power and operating speed so as of now, the operating parameters are kind of a mystery. I will say, that if this servo achieves that much torque at those operating speeds operating optimally off a 2s, that's impressive, but most likely not for me because I'll be looking to install into a 3s application. Could I run a seperate small 2s battery, yeah, but I don't want to do that, and that's why as of now, the G13 is leading the pack because of how it has seperate signal and power wiring and I can draw power directly from the balance port straight into the servo of the same 3s battery I'll be running.
I'm running a G13. Super fast, loads of torque, my impression so far is very positive.

My G13 runs off of a JST connector soldered directly to my ESC battery lead on a 3S lipo for reference.
ljparton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Final note: operating voltage range is 4.8-8.4V, but optimal performance is obtained with a 2S LiPo instead of a BEC. In part this is because we don't know of any BEC that can reliably supply the clean current our high performance servos need at the same time as the drive motor is making it's maximum demands on the propulsion battery. Moreover, even if we knew of a BEC (either incorporated into the ESC, or a stand-alone unit) whose output wasn't garbage compared to even the cheapest LiPo on the planet, our advice is still . . .
I would just add after doing some testing on what I believe is a bad promodeler servo (it will be sent in soon) and checking performance with and without a BEC and using a stand alone 2S battery I notice absolutely no difference in performance of the servo I believe is bad as well as the other promodeler servo that is definitely not bad.
If this servo truly needed it own battery I would have no interest in it, luckily it does just fine with my CC 2.0 BEC.

Also if they want this to be run off a separate battery give us a separate lead for it!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the G13 is leading the pack because of how it has seperate signal and power wiring and I can draw power directly from the balance port straight into the servo of the same 3s battery I'll be running.
Wouldn't drawing power from only some of the cells via the balance port create a very unbalanced pack? Can the balance port even handle the current draw of a powerful servo? I've only ever seen power drawn from balance connectors from all cells and low current.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

John is working on the web listing and also has some other news.....

Yeah, still working on the listing. Hope to get that finished tomorrow. Then I'll turn my attention to the DS270DLHV. Have a 22g servo upcoming in about a month. Been busy, busy prepping for the building season.

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Wouldn't drawing power from only some of the cells via the balance port create a very unbalanced pack? Can the balance port even handle the current draw of a powerful servo? I've only ever seen power drawn from balance connectors from all cells and low current.

https://www.3brothersrc.com/product-...y-connector-3s

apparently they think so, but time will tell I suppose
Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #19

at some point soon this is going to be like the nitro cars where there's a separate battery just for the servo. ( I'm sure some are doing this now, but then it comes down to weight vs power and over building etc etc...)
JC-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quick note , when reading the full description, this is a servo for submarines. 13 o rings and a special sauce for waterproofing, no need to dielectric glob the wire port.
Cant wait for my 2290 to fail so I can get one. I suspect it will be a wait though.

New ProModeler Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 STANG KILLA SS Electronics 711 01-03-2020 03:00 PM
promodeler 470 sandstalker619 Electronics 23 12-07-2018 09:35 AM
promodeler 360 servo discgolferlee Electronics 20 09-06-2018 10:00 PM
Promodeler V3, nope V4 Ditchrat Electronics 42 06-12-2017 11:08 AM
650oz Promodeler Servo? rngrchad Electronics 25 12-12-2016 02:42 PM