Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Turnigy nano-tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Turnigy nano-tech

Are the Turnigy nano-tech anygood? Hobbyking has them for 60%off just need to take off the traxxas end and solder on an xt60.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Turnigy nano-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I prefer this stick pack. It's low profile, relatively light and you should get at least 2 hours out of the battery.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...tick-pack.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I have a variety of batteries from HobbyKing, but right now the stick pack in the link below is one of my favorites. It's 4200 mAh and it's light and low profile for a hard pack. It also fits in my Tamiya cars.

C-rating is how much amp draw a battery can support. The higher C number the better.

4200 mAh stick pack: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...tick-pack.html

If you need 3S and compact for crawlers there's something like this.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...-3s1p-45c.html
Haven't used them myself but I think Jato has good opinions
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes they are good. I religiously used them until I got out the last time in 2014.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I might have to grab 2 of those for the price, still comes to 100 bucks for the 2 with shipping and cnd to us converion. But you cant get anything like that here for 50 bucks each, more like $100 to $120 here for each 3s batts
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have a Nano-tech 4000mah 2S. Never used it for crawling but I'm happy with it in my Stampede. XT60 btw. Price was about $26 on Amazon iirc.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Agree with DRTMI. I don't use the 2200 and 5000 3s I have that often but no complaints. Spend more time in storage than being used but last time I used them and checked the IR they were well within the safety range I adhere to. Those and Gens Ace are 2 of my favorites, price and performance wise.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nano tech are good. Stay away from zippy and eco-whatthefawkever, they're crap that'll puff quickly.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have the 2650mah 3s nano tech it's been a great battery. No puffing, charges and discharges evenly. I would buy more of them

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 10-15-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

nano-tech has historically been very good. I just talked to one of my friends who is a high volume consumer of batteries, and in the last year he bought about 120 nanotech packs and had the majority of them puff in the first few runs. Nowhere near the rated specs either. Sounds like they tried to start cutting corners or had contamination at the factory.

There is probably a good reason they are 60% off. If you are looking for a deal, take a risk. If you are looking for performance, don't bother.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I used nano techs for racing electric buggy and truggy a few years ago. When I quit racing I sold them off and used cheaper stuff for crawling. Gone back to nano tech as they just seem to have a better life span. I have some 3 or 4 years old that are still good, while some budget stuff wont even balance charge properly from new. I honestly wouldn't buy anything else myself now.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Haven't used them myself but I think Jato has good opinions
Thank you!

As most have said, Nano-Tech batteries are good. Also, they are cheap enough so you could try one or two for yourself with very little investment. One thing that you should do is get a good charger. Low quality chargers can kill batteries by overcharging them. Also, never let your LiPo battery drop below 3.2V per cell. I personally prefer 3.4V for an added safety factor.

Battery brand favoritism is an odd and personal thing. It's like brand loyalty associated with Ford vs Chevy guys which is to say it usually doesn't always make any sense.

Also, beware of the fly by night brands that you may see on here or elsewhere. Sure, people may be raving about them now, but they haven't even been around long enough to see if the batteries will be good long term.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

If you really want good battery info, look at the boat, heli, quad, and 1/8 crowds. Even the most baller brushless crawler builds won't hold a candle to the amp draw the listed models will pull. 100A continuous is just getting started in a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Nano tech are good. Stay away from zippy and eco-whatthefawkever, they're crap that'll puff quickly.
My friend uses ONLY the yellow Zippy, and he punishes them in 1/8 race buggies. However, he doesn't abuse them when it comes to over-discharging/storing.

I've seen many complaints about the nano-tech, but this is from high-amp boat & 1/8 users. Ironically the cheaper blue packs do better. The graphene packs are top-notch - very high output, very low internal resistance, long lifespan (many charges w/o puff), and higher average voltage than typical lipo's. Their voltage stays closer to 4v longer, then crashes a bit faster when empty.

IMO if you notice a sudden voltage drop near empty, you're already discharging too far to get more than a few dozen charges before they puff. User error will destroy even the best product in no-time.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #13

My main concern with these is the 60% off. They wouldn’t do it unless there was a problem. Either they have been on the shelf a long time, had high warranty rate and they need to sell with no warranty, or something equally wrong... sale batteries are not returnable.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
My friend uses ONLY the yellow Zippy, and he punishes them in 1/8 race buggies. However, he doesn't abuse them when it comes to over-discharging/storing.

I've seen many complaints about the nano-tech, but this is from high-amp boat & 1/8 users. Ironically the cheaper blue packs do better. The graphene packs are top-notch - very high output, very low internal resistance, long lifespan (many charges w/o puff), and higher average voltage than typical lipo's. Their voltage stays closer to 4v longer, then crashes a bit faster when empty.

IMO if you notice a sudden voltage drop near empty, you're already discharging too far to get more than a few dozen charges before they puff. User error will destroy even the best product in no-time.

I have, errrr well had 9 1300 4s packs I used in my sportsman. So far all 7 that are left are very puffy. 2 last about 10 minutes before cutoff so they're toast and 2 have been tossed because they lost a cell. They were cheap enough I'm not too worried about them but I won't buy them again.

I really like their graphene packs. A bit bigger than typical lipo but they pack a punch and have higher charge rates.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Which brand, the yellow zippy? Could their smaller packs be over-rated and/or your motor pulling more than you think?

That tends to be what I see in most cases of destroyed batteries, the user is simply pulling a lot more than he/she expects - well past the battery's limit. A tiny 3800kv Castle can peak over 100A in some cases, and that's on the tame side of what you see here.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

so i a brand biased as well, i live 10 miles from the GENS Ace warehouse. i will call my stuff.
that being said before i Knew they were local i ran nano tech. i raced 1/8th scale trucks and had nothing but success with the nano-tech. since i am crawling and racing U4 mainly now i switched. i noticed a huge improvement in life span and charge.

the nano-techs are out.
GENS ace and a good charger and like Jato said, keep em at the right level.

jusnt my 2 cents.
xlostonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
My main concern with these is the 60% off. They wouldn’t do it unless there was a problem. Either they have been on the shelf a long time, had high warranty rate and they need to sell with no warranty, or something equally wrong... sale batteries are not returnable.
It may have something to do with them announcing the new Nano-Tech Plus line of batteries.

I've used the blue Zippy batteries and I've never had an issue.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #18

Just looked in my battery bag to get ready for the King of Missouri this weekend. Every single one of my nano-techs are puffed, not even a year old Perfect timing for this thread I guess
Old 10-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Well I bought 4 3s 1500mah a little while ago. Due to crashing my Ascender 1 day and breaking the servo, then a week later, the new servo smoking as it went past the end points and jammed behind the steering tie rod (or more likely I forgot to check them), I think i have 2 hours on them lol. Will keep an eye and see what happens.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Just looked in my battery bag to get ready for the King of Missouri this weekend. Every single one of my nano-techs are puffed, not even a year old Perfect timing for this thread I guess
Picture of them so I can see the type you have?

Turnigy nano-tech - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
turnigy nano-tech 5000 3s 8000ft Axial Yeti 16 10-04-2015 08:13 AM