Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual esc recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Dual esc recommendations

I have a Bully I'm looking to upgrade to dual ESCs. Looking to run lipos, probably 2s. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dual esc recommendations

I am very happy with my dual HobbyWing 1080's
If you want lighter holmes hobbies has a dual esc that's light weight.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Get yourself some of these. They're great on my Bully. Tiny too!
https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...mini-dual.html
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I did notice the x series of esc's from castle and the hobbywing 1080s have excellent downhill control. Unfortunately as good as they are I don't think holmes esc's can match the performance because they are simply older technology.

There is alwayse a tradeoff.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I disagree. My BR minis from Holmes have excellent drag brake and hold. Its never slipped in my use. It holds on near vertical surfaces. Also, it’s small and light and easy to keep the COG as low as possible.

Last edited by Tossedman; 10-26-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've ran dual 1080's and yes they worked but there isn't much comparison to br-minis beyond that. Br's are smoother, capable of 6s and have great drag brake along with Holmes hold active braking.

That said even something as cumbersome as a pair of 1080s are lightyears ahead of the rc4wd dig setup.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Perhaps I was not clear. The drag brake on the br mini can hold, but when going down hill as soon as you hit the throttle the drag brake fully disengages. On some of the newer esc's the drag break does not fully disengage at low throttle allowing for more precise control going down hill. This is saying nothing to drag brake strength or low speed control. Only when the drag brake is applied.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Perhaps I was not clear. The drag brake on the br mini can hold, but when going down hill as soon as you hit the throttle the drag brake fully disengages. On some of the newer esc's the drag break does not fully disengage at low throttle allowing for more precise control going down hill. This is saying nothing to drag brake strength or low speed control. Only when the drag brake is applied.

In the comp world there is nothing above br-minis. Motors with strong magnets overcome any partially applied drag brake advantage of something newer. If people still ran craptastic motors in comps like were popular 12 years ago it would be one thing but now cobalt magnet motors are common place and pretty cheap.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Maybe, I don't have any high torque cobalt motors.
I noticed it on my craptastic Yeah racing hackamoto motors and it was also obvious on my 550 crawlmaster 10t, both of which have weaker drag.
I just mention it as its something to be aware of when considering your options.
Obviously I don't think the BR mini is bad as I pointed at it in the second post, just not by name.

Also the OP mentioned he wanted most bang for the buck in the past I still think that's the Hobbywing 1080 route as its half the price of the BR mini dual.
He was running Integy 27t motors, I don't believe Integy makes cobalt motors, so again probably more benefit to running an ESC with better downhill control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoa View Post
Thanks for the help. Couple more questions.

1. I'm thinking of running dual ESCs. Looking for "most bang for my buck". Any recommendations for ESCs?

2. The truck came with 2 Integy 27T motors. Is the turn too low? Again, any motor recommendations?
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Buy once, cry once. Eventually most people realize the limitations of cheap electronics, especially motors. Not to say that $500 worth of brood motors is required to have fun but $150 worth of Holmes or brood motors really shine when ran along side chicom motors.

However I did point out that the dual 1080s are a much better setup than the single esc with junk dig unit. I just don't see a reason to spend the cash twice unless the 1080s can be handed down to other rigs if the OP decides to get into comps. Once you get into that world things that worked great out playing with your friends just don't cut the mustard. Light weight everything then add weight back to where its needed.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

BR Minis hands down. great footprint and I've got more drag brake that I need on my bully
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking of going with the 1080s. I'm not a cheapskate but the cost of 1 br mini to 4 1080s is a no brainier for me. This won't be a comp crawler by any means so I just can't justify the cost. Normally I would just get the best of the best but with 5 RCs to buy parts for, I reserve that for my Tekno mt410. A couple 1080s being an upgrade from the stock esc and dig unit is just what I wanted to hear, even if I assumed it was. Thanks again!
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Dual esc recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual motor 55T with Dual esc ae-5 mad crazy torque Shan Newton Axial SCX-10 24 05-09-2017 09:44 AM
Need help with dual ESC, dual servo, bec wiring mudboggin3 Electronics 3 08-21-2012 10:23 AM
My LCC MOA - Dual ESC, BL 17.5T, Dual 3S axelram Team Losi Comp Crawler 47 06-26-2010 02:00 AM
Futaba 9CHP setup for dual steering, dual esc duartev Electronics 5 06-07-2009 08:58 AM