Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Waterproof Sensorless ESC able to handle 4S for Outrunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Waterproof Sensorless ESC able to handle 4S for Outrunner

Morning Lads.

recently I have been playing with some Outrunners, and they are pretty cool. I would really like to get a new ESC and so im after some ideas.

I am after
- An ESC that is waterproof(negotiable)
- An ESC that is 4s capable
- Must be able to handle a 12 pole motor
- MUST BE SMOOOOOOTH for sensorless outrunner.

I realise that the Mamba X is an option, I already have one of these, so for other options

COME AT ME!

thanks team.
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Waterproof Sensorless ESC able to handle 4S for Outrunner

I think you've already found the best solution with the MambaX. The other 4s(+) capable esc's I've run (Hobbywing WP SC8, Hobbywing SCT pro, Hobbywing XR8, Hobbywing Max10, and an old Novak) non-sensored have had piss poor start up by comparison. I'm sure others will chime in with a broader range of experiences.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

SW4
That’s what JRH used on his test

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

SW4 is great but maxes out at 3s
Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Mine's running a Mamba X, personally I wouldn't use another... got to love the Aux Wire feature - that's what sells it as far as I'm concerned.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've got a spektrum dx5r transmitter, and the mamba x, but never worked out how to use the auxiliary wire

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray View Post
I've got a spektrum dx5r transmitter, and the mamba x, but never worked out how to use the auxiliary wire

With the auxiliary cable I got two drag brakes on my, one I can adjust with dual rate and other is on/off 100% all on one channel...this is with single speed.
On my two speed I get 10% high gear then low 50% and with a click of my channel I get 100%, basically race/crawler mode.
Works amazing and would have to say Mamba X is my favorite esc do to auxiliary cable.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
The other 4s(+) capable esc's I've run (Hobbywing WP SC8, Hobbywing SCT pro, Hobbywing XR8, Hobbywing Max10, and an old Novak) non-sensored have had piss poor start up by comparison.
I haven't tried those, but I do have a HW 8BL150 that has a pretty outstanding low speed & start-up. It has similar start-up and low/high speed as the HW1080 & 27T (Trinity 5deg). I plan on doing some load tests with a GPS. I'm using 40% expo on a GT3C, cheap-o 1450kv 3642 outrunner, and 3S. The 27T has 54/9T gears and the 1450kv has 54/13T gears. No noticeable cogging. I can't imagine 4S being a drastic change.

Since mine is priced in-between all those you tested, either it's programming is very different or your settings need refinement (radio/esc). I only did my tests with default ESC settings, which are probably sub-par. 11.25deg timing and 5/9 punch setting. I know few ppl try expo settings, which can have a huge impact and the MambaX could be programmed to emulate expo.

Compared to the cheap stuff I first tried in my SCT racer (SC10.2), this esc is night & day. They would cog like crazy and had no low-speed to speak of. It's similar to the sensored ESC I have in it now.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

To clarify, I have NOT tried any of those esc's with an outrunner, only your typical 4 pole 36mm inrunner. I know it's hardly fair to compare sensored/sensorless or outrunner/inrunner, but even my old Castle SCT (sensorless) had smoother startup than the 4s capable esc's I listed... but again, it can only run 3s. I'm following along here because I have similar goals as the OP, though I'll be trying my Mamba Micro X with 3s (that's all it can handle) and an outrunner before buying a new esc. I haven't ruled out the no-name 1450kv 3542's, but I think the 1800kv Revolver on 3s might get me close enough if it can pull a little taller gearing than my current 1080/27t 550.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Fair enough, I'd presume it would take less refinement to make a 14-pole outrunner vs a 4-pole inrunner. I do have an older Sidewinder v3 and a Castle 1410 inrunner I can compare it to. I initially bought this ESC to convert an Exo Terra into a 4S snow basher, but it's smoother than I thought it would be.

My goal is to make a vid showing the power/speed/smoothness difference between brushed & outrunner with GPS data & a weighted sled, but my Wraith is still under some construction.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the 1400kv out runner on my castle sct, sidewinder v3. It's pretty good. Just very slow and shreeks like a banshee...

It is a unique set up and I quite like it.

Waterproof Sensorless ESC able to handle 4S for Outrunner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm looking for a good sensorless brushless outrunner motor that won't break the bank xwaxeboardersx Electronics 18 03-27-2020 09:45 AM
Sensored brushless or waterproof sensorless 4 pole. skiiermike Electronics 17 09-30-2015 07:05 PM
Sensored motor + Sensorless ESC? Army RC Crawler Electronics 6 02-12-2012 08:51 PM