Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd wireless winch on 3s (battery shows 12.5v charged)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rc4wd wireless winch on 3s (battery shows 12.5v charged)

Hi guys, I have just fitted my new rc4wd parts and although I've tried the winch on 3s quickly and it works I'm scared to use it too much of its going to burn out quickly.

I've seen many old posts saying yay or nay for 3s with no bec but the documentation say's 3s is ok but not over 11.1V! It's going to be over 11.1 on a fully charged battery a lot!

Any advice? Thoughts?

Also are the rc4wd winch parts ok with a small amount of water, looks like a no going by docs.

Cheers
niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Rc4wd wireless winch on 3s (battery shows 12.5v charged)

Its powered off of the receiver through the esc though right. If so it should be at whatever the esc is outputting, which will be less than the 12+ of a fully charged battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

And I would avoid water unless you take it apart and waterproof it yourself.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADlBOO View Post
Its powered off of the receiver through the esc though right. If so it should be at whatever the esc is outputting, which will be less than the 12+ of a fully charged battery.

No, it's powered as others have suggested in previous posts to people on here, right of the battery with a soldered connector. The only ESC output I have would be the one going to the receiver at say 6v so I'd have to tap the receiver power and I don't have a free slot left. Apparently it works better at the higher voltage. :S
Old 11-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Copied this from RC4WD.com,
"Some Lipo battery voltage can be higher than 11.1 volts. Please be careful and check voltage before using your battery. Use a BEC if needing to use a 3 cell lipo.*"
So looks like adding a BEC is going be your best best. Or buying a smaller battery just for the winch.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADlBOO View Post
Copied this from RC4WD.com,
"Some Lipo battery voltage can be higher than 11.1 volts. Please be careful and check voltage before using your battery. Use a BEC if needing to use a 3 cell lipo.*"
So looks like adding a BEC is going be your best best. Or buying a smaller battery just for the winch.

Thanks, that's exactly what got me paranoid. All blooming 3s are above 11.1 when charged are they not!
Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I run my RC4wd winch on direct 3s, but my winch controller is a servo board I modified. Signal goes to RX and power comes from 3s. It is fast but you need to be careful not to bump the switch or make sure you dont have any winch creep. It will burn out the motor.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
I run my RC4wd winch on direct 3s, but my winch controller is a servo board I modified. Signal goes to RX and power comes from 3s. It is fast but you need to be careful not to bump the switch or make sure you dont have any winch creep. It will burn out the motor.
Good info thanks, it's good to know that someone os running at least the winch with 3s ok. Well I've bitten the bullet and run it, it had been ok so far but that's just basic testing. I may order a BEC later on and try to make sure I prolong it's life!

Thanks for the input
Old 11-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It seems funny that RC4WD would only rate the winch controller to 11.1vdc, eluding to the idea that is is 3S capable. If it can be ran off of 3S, then it should say that. The nominal voltage of a single lipo cell is 3.7vdc (3S = 11.1vdc). But, the normal charged voltage of a lipo cell is 4.2 - 4.3vdc (3S = 12.6 - 12.9VDC). If they are going to specify an operating voltage it should be 13vdc.

With this, I do not use RC4WD controllers, they are ok, but they are a pain to waterproof, and for the money, are very basic. I run my winches off of 1/18 scale waterproof ESCs. They operate a lot quicker, and give linear control over pay out and pay in. Plus, they are less expensive than the RC4WD controllers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I just buy the heyok wireless winch controller and keep the fob on my radio... no issues with winch creep or anything else..easy as pie and works great!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
It seems funny that RC4WD would only rate the winch controller to 11.1vdc, eluding to the idea that is is 3S capable. If it can be ran off of 3S, then it should say that. The nominal voltage of a single lipo cell is 3.7vdc (3S = 11.1vdc). But, the normal charged voltage of a lipo cell is 4.2 - 4.3vdc (3S = 12.6 - 12.9VDC). If they are going to specify an operating voltage it should be 13vdc.

With this, I do not use RC4WD controllers, they are ok, but they are a pain to waterproof, and for the money, are very basic. I run my winches off of 1/18 scale waterproof ESCs. They operate a lot quicker, and give linear control over pay out and pay in. Plus, they are less expensive than the RC4WD controllers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I just buy the heyok wireless winch controller and keep the fob on my radio... no issues with winch creep or anything else..easy as pie and works great!
Thank you guys. If I burn it out I'll try one of your suggestions. A cheap ESC makes a lot of sense as well! I maybe should have shopped around!
Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by niro750 View Post
Hi guys, I have just fitted my new rc4wd parts and although I've tried the winch on 3s quickly and it works I'm scared to use it too much of its going to burn out quickly.

I've seen many old posts saying yay or nay for 3s with no bec but the documentation say's 3s is ok but not over 11.1V! It's going to be over 11.1 on a fully charged battery a lot!

Any advice? Thoughts?

Also are the rc4wd winch parts ok with a small amount of water, looks like a no going by docs.

Cheers
I run my RC4WD winch on 3s all the time. It is powerd through the reciever. As for the water proof issue , I used the old balloon trick and stuffed the winch controller inside that and the whole system has run great for over a year. My winch and controller have been submerged a few times and constantly gets wet due to running year round, but the replacement motors are pretty cheap anyways if it was to crap out.
CHIEFWIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEFWIG View Post
I run my RC4WD winch on 3s all the time. It is powerd through the reciever. As for the water proof issue , I used the old balloon trick and stuffed the winch controller inside that and the whole system has run great for over a year. My winch and controller have been submerged a few times and constantly gets wet due to running year round, but the replacement motors are pretty cheap anyways if it was to crap out.
Thanks for that. When you say the winch is powered from the receiver I take it you mean at about 6v from the ESC bec?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by niro750 View Post
Thanks for that. When you say the winch is powered from the receiver I take it you mean at about 6v from the ESC bec?
Yes, at 6 volts with a Hobywing 1080.
CHIEFWIG is offline   Reply With Quote

Rc4wd wireless winch on 3s (battery shows 12.5v charged) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4wd wireless winch meanbgreen General Crawlers 36 04-11-2012 05:27 PM
rc4wd wirelEss winch mtmayhem Scale Accessories 12 08-20-2011 07:30 PM