Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Red Rock Lights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Red Rock Lights?

I'm curious if anyone has considered installing red rock lights. I have one truck with standard white rock lights and I find that I tend to get a bit night blind due to how bright the rock lights are. I am considering installing red rock lights on my next truck in an effort to reduce the effect. Any thoughts?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Red Rock Lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has considered installing red rock lights. I have one truck with standard white rock lights and I find that I tend to get a bit night blind due to how bright the rock lights are. I am considering installing red rock lights on my next truck in an effort to reduce the effect. Any thoughts?
I use blue i think red is still gonna bite the eye

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"MIS-TAKEN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I was gonna say Blue as well

clipped from a super random article on nightlights Blue light is a stimulant that actually boosts attention and reaction times. These are not benefits that you want as you are falling sleep. White night lights also fall under the blue light category. The best color for night lights is red or orange.

So if you want to be able to fall asleep red or orange

Or maybe another option is to run the lights at a lower voltage if possible or add in resisters to dim the lights a bit.

Bright lights are nice but too bright is no good.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-04-2018 at 05:53 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Truck on the right has Lit Led red rock lights

Team LIT LED!!!
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If your current lights are too bright you could always put a resistor in series or power your rock lights off of their own BEC to cut the voltage.

I run blue and white on mine, it is not bad at all.

TRX4 by Scott O, on Flickr

TRX4 At Night by Scott O, on Flickr
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Red is the prefered color for night, as it helps the eyes, to maintain low light level readiness. talk to anyone in the airforce, or even navy guys. This happens to also share the same reasons that pirates wore an eye patch.

modern LED's even offer a nice range of reds to pick from.
EACH nm has a ideal use.

Guys on candlepowerfourms might be able to offer some detailed help on picking best nm.

i can say this, certain shades of red arent helpful at night, but others can make a world of change. (been a long time since i have played with red temp ranges)

heck, you can even find 3mm LED's now with built in regulators. (no more ohm's formulas for getting your desired output)
(3mm is nice because you can hide the led inside the chassis tubing)

mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The reason I was thinking red is that WWII subs would go to red lights at night so that their eyes did not have to adjust to the dark when they surfaced.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

For me it is hard to identify details at night under blue light. And it is easier for me with "warm whit"e than "cold white" LEDs anyway. Red is known for preventing night blindness (as discussed before). Green would be intresting. Green illumination is used on night vision devices, because the human eye can detect the highes number of graduations in contrast under green light.
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

you are not alone, as warm light 3000k-4500k colors usualy have a much higher CRI compared to blue or blueish light. (color rendering index)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
For me it is hard to identify details at night under blue light. And it is easier for me with "warm whit"e than "cold white" LEDs anyway. Red is known for preventing night blindness (as discussed before). Green would be intresting. Green illumination is used on night vision devices, because the human eye can detect the highes number of graduations in contrast under green light.
mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Certain Reds are scientifically proven to induce the least amount of eye strain at night and help maintain the best night vision. That's why so much Mil-Spec stuff uses it. But, crawling isn't exactly a life or death proposition, so follow your bliss!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The reason I was thinking red is that WWII subs would go to red lights at night so that their eyes did not have to adjust to the dark when they surfaced.
The submarine force as moved away from 'rig for red', they found out it caused mood swings, and it made some displays difficult, or impossible to read correctly. Today submarines rig for "low-level light", or rig for grey. It is still white light, just toned down. The only space on a submarine that operates like this as its normal underway mode is the sonar shack, the control room will rig for grey, then for black depending on operational requirements.
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Some of the places we night crawl. Dim rock lights don't work very well. Unless you want to wear a headlamp. Also color allows your rig to stand out when there is 25 other rigs with white leds night crawling with you.

Team LIT LED!!!
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The submarine force as moved away from 'rig for red', they found out it caused mood swings, and it made some displays difficult, or impossible to read correctly. Today submarines rig for "low-level light", or rig for grey. It is still white light, just toned down. The only space on a submarine that operates like this as its normal underway mode is the sonar shack, the control room will rig for grey, then for black depending on operational requirements.

Interesting info on the displays. Star maps, as used by people who like to watch star constellations at night (sorry, I am not familar with the english terms), are printed in grey and blue color shades to give maximum contrast when illuminated with a red flashlight.
Name:  star map.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  64.6 KB
Oh, and sorry for going off-topic
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Would this be of interest?
Remote Switch for LEDs with Dim function
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I use blacklights i also have them behind the white lights in my light bar and there switched speratly so i can just run the blacklights at night
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Red Rock Lights? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding the lights and rock lights to a TRX-4 MikeMontgomery1970 Traxxas TRX-4 6 09-09-2017 10:15 PM
rock lights 72square Traxxas TRX-4 2 08-14-2017 08:35 PM
Rock lights! 16hp Axial SCX-10 6 07-05-2011 10:07 PM