Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics
Loading

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #201
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 415
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

How much is an open box, used a couple times DX5 rugged with the receiver worth guys? Im posting mine for sale and have no clue what its value might be.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #202
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 278
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
How much is an open box, used a couple times DX5 rugged with the receiver worth guys? Im posting mine for sale and have no clue what its value might be.
Well they are $200 new, I'd expect about $150 at best. Used electronics, even only slightly used, are not going to get full value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 415
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Well they are $200 new, I'd expect about $150 at best. Used electronics, even only slightly used, are not going to get full value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


Thank you. Iíll start there with free shipping and see what happens. Appreciate the advice.






Sent from your iPhone.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #204
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 583
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

I can report exactly the same experience as you, with my brand new DX5c.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
There is DSM2 Surface, and DSM2 Air, and they are different, everything you can find now is DSM2 Air will not bind (I have tried 3 different ones, generic and from Spektrum). Possibly if you had an old surface DSM2 FROM SPEKTRUM it might bind, but I wouldn't count on it.
Edit:my experience is with the dx5 pro, dx5c and dx5r, I do not have a rugged, so maybee definatly not if there is no refrence to it or 16.5ms available.
Bottom line with Spektrum expect to pony up for there higher priced receivers.
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM   #205
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 583
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Good post. Thing is, the regular DX5c is not made of eggshells either (touch wood). I have dropped mine down a gulley, fallen with it/on it, had it in my backpack while riding gnarly mountain bike trails extensively. I bet if you took the two apart, the guts would be identical. The only difference, therefore, being the rubber baby buggy bumpers on the rugged. And as any hockey player will tell you, stuff like that protects you from cuts and bruises, but not concussions.




Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I have to say, I chose the Dx5 Rugged. I find the thumb lever actually falls into hand readily and the sections where you are just walking along I found it rather handy. I also dropped it on my last trail run. I have fallen on my face, and my rear more than a few times in snow and mud and the knowlage that it is shock and water resistant made the extra $50 worth it to me. The touch pad does take getting used to, but it took me less than a minute.

Last edited by hobbyjumper; 06-18-2019 at 06:39 AM.
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #206
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 278
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Good post. Thing is, the regular DX5c is not made of eggshells either (touch wood). I have dropped mine down a gulley, fallen with it/on it, had it in my backpack while riding gnarly mountain bike trails extensively. I bet if you took the two apart, the guts would be identical. The only difference, therefore, being the rubber baby buggy bumpers on the rugged. And as any hockey player will tell you, stuff like that protects you from cuts and bruises, but not concussions.
You are pretty much correct. The DX5C and DX5 Rugged are pretty much the same deep inside where it counts. I have noticed that the Rugged has telemetry support, when the C does not. Not sure if they plan to do an update to add that in to the C.
Otherwise the major differences are the rubber add-ons and the touch sensors instead of wheel/buttons. I do wish they'd sell the thumb extension for the steering wheel separate, that is the one thing that really sets it apart for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #207
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 796
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
I do wish they'd sell the thumb extension for the steering wheel separate, that is the one thing that really sets it apart for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Agree!

I am surprised that no one has come out with a 3D printed version of the thumb extension. Or at least I haven't seen one yet!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #208
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 583
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Scratching my head. What good is telemetry support in a surface radio meant for crawlers?
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #209
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 278
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Scratching my head. What good is telemetry support in a surface radio meant for crawlers?
With the right receiver, the one I would most use is that you can monitor voltage.
Not sure what else is available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #210
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raleigh-ish vicinity
Posts: 3,234
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Scratching my head. What good is telemetry support in a surface radio meant for crawlers?
Motor temp is the most helpful telemetry item in my experience. You can set an alert on your radio if your motor reaches too high of a temp so you know to stop before frying it.

Battery voltage is kinda helpful because you can glance at your radio and know how close you are to needing to change packs.

Receiver voltage and ESC temp aren't that helpful and speed/RPM sensors aren't worth the hassle of setting up in a crawler.
svt923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #211
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stevensville
Posts: 3,277
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Motor temp is the most helpful telemetry item in my experience. You can set an alert on your radio if your motor reaches too high of a temp so you know to stop before frying it.

Battery voltage is kinda helpful because you can glance at your radio and know how close you are to needing to change packs.

Receiver voltage and ESC temp aren't that helpful and speed/RPM sensors aren't worth the hassle of setting up in a crawler.
I found I had a bec failing on a cheap esc with Rx voltage telemetry lol, Castle bec soved that problem. It does have a purpose, but not nearly as useful as Battery voltage. And motor temp would be really nice if I can figure out how to set it up.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #212
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: no-water-no-trees-country
Posts: 333
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Agree!

I am surprised that no one has come out with a 3D printed version of the thumb extension. Or at least I haven't seen one yet!

I came across one on shapeways, but was too pricy for me. Built my own out of spare parts - fully adjustable:

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-20 um 10.38.15.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  89.1 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #213
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 796
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxman View Post
I came across one on shapeways, but was too pricy for me. Built my own out of spare parts - fully adjustable:

Attachment 381798
Hey, nice! Looks like that will work! May try to fab-up something for mine.

Nice use of a driveshaft section! I have a few of them laying around.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #214
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the lair editing video
Posts: 657
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

I want to like this radio so bad, but the touch stuff is awful. Simply the worst. It took me 4 times as long to set it up as any other radio ive ever owned just because I was fighting the "touch" wheel. I've renamed it the fury wheel.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #215
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 278
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l View Post
I want to like this radio so bad, but the touch stuff is awful. Simply the worst. It took me 4 times as long to set it up as any other radio ive ever owned just because I was fighting the "touch" wheel. I've renamed it the fury wheel.
Yeah it is very finicky. It seems like it works better the longer you use it, and "break it in" a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #216
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Calgary
Posts: 138
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

You get used to it, take some time for sure though. Now after using mine at least once a week since winter, it's become second nature and don't even notice how irritated I should be.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #217
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marietta
Posts: 375
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
don't even notice how irritated I should be.
There's a ringing endorsement. Although I get 100% get where you are coming from.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #218
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Calgary
Posts: 138
Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
There's a ringing endorsement. Although I get 100% get where you are coming from.
That's about the best I can muster for this radio
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dx5, radio, rugged, spektrum, transmitter



Spektrum DX5 Rugged - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Spektrum DX5 Pro In Stock!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 07-30-2018 09:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? rockin86runner Electronics 7 11-30-2011 11:06 AM
Spektrum DX5 Kanine38 Electronics 1 09-07-2010 05:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? dirtman Electronics 10 03-12-2009 11:40 AM
new spektrum dx5, with traxxas xl-5 esc, motor? drnedatsnov Electronics 2 01-31-2009 03:48 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com