Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #201
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

How much is an open box, used a couple times DX5 rugged with the receiver worth guys? Im posting mine for sale and have no clue what its value might be.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #202
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
How much is an open box, used a couple times DX5 rugged with the receiver worth guys? Im posting mine for sale and have no clue what its value might be.
Well they are $200 new, I'd expect about $150 at best. Used electronics, even only slightly used, are not going to get full value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #203
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Well they are $200 new, I'd expect about $150 at best. Used electronics, even only slightly used, are not going to get full value.

Thank you. I’ll start there with free shipping and see what happens. Appreciate the advice.

Sent from your iPhone.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #204
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Good post. Thing is, the regular DX5c is not made of eggshells either (touch wood). I have dropped mine down a gulley, fallen with it/on it, had it in my backpack while riding gnarly mountain bike trails extensively. I bet if you took the two apart, the guts would be identical. The only difference, therefore, being the rubber baby buggy bumpers on the rugged. And as any hockey player will tell you, stuff like that protects you from cuts and bruises, but not concussions.
You are pretty much correct. The DX5C and DX5 Rugged are pretty much the same deep inside where it counts. I have noticed that the Rugged has telemetry support, when the C does not. Not sure if they plan to do an update to add that in to the C.
Otherwise the major differences are the rubber add-ons and the touch sensors instead of wheel/buttons. I do wish they'd sell the thumb extension for the steering wheel separate, that is the one thing that really sets it apart for me.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #205
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
I do wish they'd sell the thumb extension for the steering wheel separate, that is the one thing that really sets it apart for me.

Agree!

I am surprised that no one has come out with a 3D printed version of the thumb extension. Or at least I haven't seen one yet!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #206
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Scratching my head. What good is telemetry support in a surface radio meant for crawlers?
With the right receiver, the one I would most use is that you can monitor voltage.
Not sure what else is available.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #207
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Scratching my head. What good is telemetry support in a surface radio meant for crawlers?
Motor temp is the most helpful telemetry item in my experience. You can set an alert on your radio if your motor reaches too high of a temp so you know to stop before frying it.

Battery voltage is kinda helpful because you can glance at your radio and know how close you are to needing to change packs.

Receiver voltage and ESC temp aren't that helpful and speed/RPM sensors aren't worth the hassle of setting up in a crawler.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Motor temp is the most helpful telemetry item in my experience. You can set an alert on your radio if your motor reaches too high of a temp so you know to stop before frying it.

Battery voltage is kinda helpful because you can glance at your radio and know how close you are to needing to change packs.

Receiver voltage and ESC temp aren't that helpful and speed/RPM sensors aren't worth the hassle of setting up in a crawler.
I found I had a bec failing on a cheap esc with Rx voltage telemetry lol, Castle bec soved that problem. It does have a purpose, but not nearly as useful as Battery voltage. And motor temp would be really nice if I can figure out how to set it up.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #209
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Agree!

I am surprised that no one has come out with a 3D printed version of the thumb extension. Or at least I haven't seen one yet!

I came across one on shapeways, but was too pricy for me. Built my own out of spare parts - fully adjustable:

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-20 um 10.38.15.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  89.1 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #210
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxman View Post
I came across one on shapeways, but was too pricy for me. Built my own out of spare parts - fully adjustable:

Attachment 381798
Hey, nice! Looks like that will work! May try to fab-up something for mine.

Nice use of a driveshaft section! I have a few of them laying around.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #211
Rock Crawler

I want to like this radio so bad, but the touch stuff is awful. Simply the worst. It took me 4 times as long to set it up as any other radio ive ever owned just because I was fighting the "touch" wheel. I've renamed it the fury wheel.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #212
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l View Post
I want to like this radio so bad, but the touch stuff is awful. Simply the worst. It took me 4 times as long to set it up as any other radio ive ever owned just because I was fighting the "touch" wheel. I've renamed it the fury wheel.
Yeah it is very finicky. It seems like it works better the longer you use it, and "break it in" a bit.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #213
Rock Crawler

You get used to it, take some time for sure though. Now after using mine at least once a week since winter, it's become second nature and don't even notice how irritated I should be.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #214
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
don't even notice how irritated I should be.
There's a ringing endorsement. Although I get 100% get where you are coming from.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #215
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
There's a ringing endorsement. Although I get 100% get where you are coming from.
That's about the best I can muster for this radio
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #216

Can anyone tell me it the Rugged has MOA mixing. I am in the market for a new radio I have the DX5R but it is impossible to drive one handed, I like the rugged but I can not find out if it will do a duel esc mix for my Pro. My DX4S is on its last legs and I need a replacement radio. I don't want to switch brands as I have all my rigs on Spektrum DSMR
Soundboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
It would be easier to just put a chip in the receiver that remembers its unique ID, then your super smart radio will remember what settings to use with that receiver, then if you want to transfer profiles between radios you connect them together with Bluetooth. And you can save profiles to the cloud or something through WiFi or USB,

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
So I just bought a dx5 rugged. I installed a rc4wd and winch controller but for some reason when I go into aux assign and try to program it to switch D and 3 position I can’t get the winch to work it all. I’ve also have a mytrickrc light kit with the dragon controller and I’ve tried to assign is to a switch as well but I can get anything to work. Any help?
RSB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:08 AM   #218
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB22 View Post
So I just bought a dx5 rugged. I installed a rc4wd and winch controller but for some reason when I go into aux assign and try to program it to switch D and 3 position I can’t get the winch to work it all. I’ve also have a mytrickrc light kit with the dragon controller and I’ve tried to assign is to a switch as well but I can get anything to work. Any help?
My trick rc lights work from a momentary switch.

The winch also would be 3 position momentary. You might need to set the endpoints in the same screen.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you2 View Post
I don't have a DSM2 receiver, so I cannot argue.

Sent from my SM-N960F using auto clicker Tapatalk
I know what the little DSMR description says, I'm telling you my experience and what Spektrum tech support told me.

Last edited by willard_pa1975; 02-21-2020 at 07:13 AM.
willard_pa1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #220
Pebble Pounder

DX5 Rugged now available in green.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/dx5-rug..._rot2_05072020

Touch screen is different than the other DX5 Rugged versions - "features better feel, control and operation." Not sure if there are any other changes.

Green is a nice color but not very practical as it is more difficult to find in the dark or on the trail. I'd prefer glow in the dark, yellow or, better yet, hot pink but that's an extremely unlikely colorway, unfortunately.

Last edited by spectre; 05-07-2020 at 06:46 PM.
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx5, radio, rugged, spektrum, transmitter

Spektrum DX5 Rugged - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Spektrum DX5 Pro In Stock!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 07-30-2018 09:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? rockin86runner Electronics 7 11-30-2011 11:06 AM
Spektrum DX5 Kanine38 Electronics 1 09-07-2010 05:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? dirtman Electronics 10 03-12-2009 11:40 AM
new spektrum dx5, with traxxas xl-5 esc, motor? drnedatsnov Electronics 2 01-31-2009 03:48 PM