Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Spektrum is a top tier brand like Futaba and Sanwa. What do expect to pay for a receiver? My Futaba 3PM-X receivers were something like $80 each!
IMO, Futaba > Spektrum, so I'd expect them to be more. And I didn't say the prices were ridiculous or unwarranted, I just think if I had to pick my biggest gripe with Spektrum, it's that the receiver cost can kick your ass if you've got a lot of vehicles...

My #2 gripe would probably be that a lot of there transmitters can feel pretty cheap in certain areas...

I still run them though. I have 2 DX4S radios, and they are programmed for most of my vehicles. I have a few oddballs/loaners running FlySky GT3Cs. I just try snag up any cheap used receivers I can come across...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #22

Default Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
IMO, Futaba > Spektrum, so I'd expect them to be more. And I didn't say the prices were ridiculous or unwarranted, I just think if I had to pick my biggest gripe with Spektrum, it's that the receiver cost can kick your ass if you've got a lot of vehicles...

My #2 gripe would probably be that a lot of there transmitters can feel pretty cheap in certain areas...

I still run them though. I have 2 DX4S radios, and they are programmed for most of my vehicles. I have a few oddballs/loaners running FlySky GT3Cs. I just try snag up any cheap used receivers I can come across...

Lots of people think that, but you know what they say about opinions...

My point was that Spektrum receivers are cheap, or at least competitive, when compared to the competition (Futaba and Sanwa).

I do agree Spektrum radios can feel cheap, but they are often less expensive than the two aforementioned brands and they work just as well. I have at least one radio from the big three and I could never justify the added cost of a Futaba or Sanwa. With that being said, as I mentioned above, I'd live happily with the new FlySky GT5 these days. It works well and receivers are extremely inexpensive.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Lots of people think that, but you know what they say about opinions...

My point was that Spektrum receivers are cheap, or at least competitive, when compared to the competition (Futaba and Sanwa).

I do agree Spektrum radios can feel cheap, but they are often less expensive than the two aforementioned brands and they work just as well. I have at least one radio from the big three and I could never justify the added cost of a Futaba or Sanwa. With that being said, as I mentioned above, I'd live happily with the new FlySky GT5 these days. It works well and receivers are extremely inexpensive.
Fair enough. We've all got our opinions, lol.

What's the quality like on the GT5? Better than the GT3B/C transmitters?

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Fair enough. We've all got our opinions, lol.

What's the quality like on the GT5? Better than the GT3B/C transmitters?

I hate the GT3. I refused to buy one. Looks and feels like garbage to me and the menus always seemed to have bugs (apparently bugs were fixed in the newer ones). The GT5, to me, looks and feels better. I'm a fan.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Meh
I'll keep my good old Radiolink RC4GS...

Waterproof is overrated, the truck and the Radio are waterproof but even in light rain, you are soaking wet and freezing after 30mins and you get inside...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Meh
I'll keep my good old Radiolink RC4GS...

Waterproof is overrated, the truck and the Radio are waterproof but even in light rain, you are soaking wet and freezing after 30mins and you get inside...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Most radios are not waterproof. This one is. It does rain when it's warm. And also, you may unexpectedly be on the trail when it decides to rain out of nowhere. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes for water to destroy electronics.

I have the RC4GS (really Turnigy TS4G) as well and it's a good radio, but the antenna is fragile and easily broken. The radio also isn't that durable. I caught myself in a fall with it and the bang messed it up and it never centered again after that. I've dropped other radios without messing them up.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

30-40 bucks is cheap. Not to mention you can run the cheap receivers from hobbyking that are 15.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I have a few spectrum radios there cheaper modles though indont see any improvement over the others i also have a few of the old school futabas a bunch of cheap rtr flyskys axial /redcats and a gt3c and a tacktic honestly they all do the same thing i dont think on3 dose better than the others my freind has a futaba pl4sltjultrsjblu or what ever it was exspensive and hard to program i almost bought one but i used his and dident like it i ended up buying th3 gt3c and hacked it and i am gona get another one i realy like them however the steering wheel broke off like 3 times

Also a.5pack of 6 channel recivers for the flysky was.only $25

Last edited by ferp420; 12-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

DAMN!!!! I just bought a 5C to go with my 5R...

Hopefully waterproof radios are the next trend in RC. It has never made any sense to me that our rigs can be ran in the rain, but we had to keep the radios covered.

It is a little cheesy, but I like the 4-way clip. Also, I really wish more radios came with lanyard rings.

Well, we'll have to see how this guy is priced out.

When the topic of any radio comes up people always throw out Flysky. I have never liked the feel of these, they feel chintzy and ready to fall apart if you look at them wrong. Plus, I have seen too many of them fail to really trust getting one, of course they are dirt cheap. Although, I am thinking seriously about getting one. I read somewhere that there is a flavor of Flysky that can be hacked to 12 channels, a project I am working on now is going to require at least 9 channels and I was just going run off of my DX5R with two RXs.

Last edited by Greatscott; 12-08-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Futaba FAAST receivers are expensive.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRAZ5&P=0

The cheapest sanwa/airtronics receivers out there start at $40 and run up to $100 easily.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/sanwa-a...41258a/p500055

After using most every brand of radio out there except futaba I'll put flysky above spektrum easily. Sure it feels cheap but feelings don't matter, I want functionality and ease of use. I really do enjoy my MT4 radio. It just works and I don't have any issues. I originally bought it just for my pro but I've since swapped everything over to it.

Spektrum annoys me with its requirement to scroll to the top of each screen to go back rather than use the BACK button that is right there next to the thumb wheel. I recently had a spektrum dx4s randomly give me 50% steering even though there were no buttons assigned to raise or lower the dual rate at the time. I assigned a button to raise the rate back to 100% and the next time I went to use the rig it had decided to lose bind. I'd have expected it with a knockoff receiver but this is a factory receiver that did it.

I hope this radio is real and that others follow suit. I did get a chuckle over the lanyard tab being a feature. That's been a basic thing on every radio out there except spektrum for decades and now it's a big deal

I'd love to see an M12 built like this. Rubber coated with a bit of water resistance would be groovy.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I started out with Sanwa MX-V transmitter and bought a bunch of RX-37W, RX-371W at around $40 a pop. Those are all sitting in my Tamiyas right now. After I got my FlySky GT3C w/$9-11 receivers, I pretty much stick those in all my crawler type vehicles. I just can't justify needing more things paired to my Sanwa. I don't race or anything like that, so don't really need the really fancy stuff. Just need the # of channels and # of vehicle memory.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

After using most every brand of radio out there except futaba I'll put flysky above spektrum easily. Sure it feels cheap but feelings don't matter, I want functionality and ease of use. I really do enjoy my MT4 radio. It just works and I don't have any issues. I originally bought it just for my pro but I've since swapped everything over to it.

Spektrum annoys me with its requirement to scroll to the top of each screen to go back rather than use the BACK button that is right there next to the thumb wheel. I recently had a spektrum dx4s randomly give me 50% steering even though there were no buttons assigned to raise or lower the dual rate at the time. I assigned a button to raise the rate back to 100% and the next time I went to use the rig it had decided to lose bind. I'd have expected it with a knockoff receiver but this is a factory receiver that did it.

I hope this radio is real and that others follow suit. I did get a chuckle over the lanyard tab being a feature. That's been a basic thing on every radio out there except spektrum for decades and now it's a big deal

I'd love to see an M12 built like this. Rubber coated with a bit of water resistance would be groovy.

Depends on what's important. Spektrum is backed by the best customer service in the industry. Those of us with FlySky GT5's can't even figure out why old receivers don't work with this radio despite the manual saying they will. Good luck getting anybody to pick up the phone at FlySky.

I bet if you called Spektrum about your issue they'd make it right.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Depends on what's important. Spektrum is backed by the best customer service in the industry. Those of us with FlySky GT5's can't even figure out why old receivers don't work with this radio despite the manual saying they will. Good luck getting anybody to pick up the phone at FlySky.

I bet if you called Spektrum about your issue they'd make it right.

I do my best to never use customer service at all in my life. If I had a problem with flysky it was easy. Hack kit and go about my day.

The issue with the spektrum radio is really easy to fix. I already ordered a $45 waterproof sanwa receiver so the spektrum can go back on the shelf.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Yeah OEM Spektrum are $30+, but if you need 3 or less channels you can get by with the "orange" receivers for about $15-18/ea.
Quote:
That's the big downfall of Spektrum IMO, I think the cheapest start at $40

*edit* My bad, looks like the cheapest is $30 (2-ch), $45 for 3-ch and up from there...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I certain wish spektrum would at least have a lanyard spot.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
I certain wish spektrum would at least have a lanyard spot.

It does. You can't see it in the pictures?
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
On this so far mythical radio there is a lanyard loop but the rest of pistol radios do not.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Market research.....

Spectrum leaks a pic...

RCC accepts wishes hopes its true...

A thread goes 10 pages of suspision, bashing and wishing....

Spectrum releases a "new" Dx5c water resistant, and shock proof with avc...
3years later...

If this radio was available next year, I would buy it in a moment.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
I mean on current radios.

roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

spektrum RX^s (orange version) can be had quite cheap. I watch hobbyking, and picked up 12 rx's for like 4 or 5 bucks each a little while ago. each person has their own preffered radio, for the reasons make sense. Is one brand better than the next? yes and no, but its gets even crazier from here. If your inclined to pick up the top teir versions(they all have a upper spec TX) then you also need a super fast servo, special RX (or premium ,to take advantage of the response rate) and after all this money, need a reaction time on par with john force. Are these worth the cost? yes, but i would be honestly suprised if the micro-second reaction (response rates) could be a game changer.

I can say that the super fast servos are worth every penny and can actualy change how you drive, but its a rare need when a servo is worth the cost of the whole car or truck.

If the water proof TX is real, i would get one in a heart beat. Its not because of the name or manufacture, but only because this hobby is year round, and mother nature cant hold me down.

its possible to make any electrical board waterproof, but it would require a group effort, as the coating isnt cheap because you cant buy small amounts. if you want to see the coating, take apart any modern tool or battery. milwaukee, dewalt, makita, AG, etc... they all coat the boards as a protective measure. i wouldnt put my tools in the lake, but the boards would survive.
the tool companies do this to help protect the boards, for drops, hits, abuse,etc.. it adds a tiny bit of strength holding componets down, and keeps dirt/dust from altering power flow. Cool stuff, this comformal coating. (water proof phones have this too)
mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx5, radio, rugged, spektrum, transmitter

Spektrum DX5 Rugged - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Spektrum DX5 Pro In Stock!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 07-30-2018 09:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? rockin86runner Electronics 7 11-30-2011 11:06 AM
Spektrum DX5 Kanine38 Electronics 1 09-07-2010 05:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? dirtman Electronics 10 03-12-2009 11:40 AM
new spektrum dx5, with traxxas xl-5 esc, motor? drnedatsnov Electronics 2 01-31-2009 03:48 PM