Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Spektrum had a live feed to answer some questions on the radio. Some of the key points:

- No backlight on the display
- The wheel with the thumb lever will fit on their other radios and will be available separately
- Spektrum will have files available for 3D printing accessories to go on the front rail
- Power is AAs only.

I, for one, will throw the warranty in the trash immediately in order to cram as big of a LiFe battery as possible in my radio. All my radios have been switched to lithium batteries and I am not going back to AAs.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
So basically it is an up-armored DX4C...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #83
Pebble Pounder

If the other channels on the transmitter are three way toggle switches,I might have to consider this a possibility of buying this for my next radio.
jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Spektrum had a live feed to answer some questions on the radio. Some of the key points:

- The wheel with the thumb lever will fit on their other radios and will be available separately
- Spektrum will have files available for 3D printing accessories to go on the front rail
- Power is AAs only.

I, for one, will throw the warranty in the trash immediately in order to cram as big of a LiFe battery as possible in my radio. All my radios have been switched to lithium batteries and I am not going back to AAs.

It's a neat radio, maybe a few years late really, and I agree on the battery choice. How is it that flysky is leading (I could be wrong) the way on single cell lipo radio power systems at a fraction of the cost of the competition?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

To say it isn't lipo ready is odd. All other radios have is an adjustable voltage alarm (sanwa/airtronics also has an adjustable cutoff) to let you know when to charge or change the batteries. I don't see what the deal is.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

My dx4c has adjustable voltage cutoff....

I would say its a up armored dx5c....

The dx4c had programable three position switches, or 2 position depending on how you programed them....

I told my Lhs to order one....
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Dc5c has an AA battery sled hardwired. But you can cut the cable and replace it with a life battery. The dx5r has a plug in AA sled but voltage over 7v is problematic. The dx5 pro has a plug in AA sled but can run 2s lipo no problem. All of these have variable voltage cutoff.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
It's a neat radio, maybe a few years late really, and I agree on the battery choice. How is it that flysky is leading (I could be wrong) the way on single cell lipo radio power systems at a fraction of the cost of the competition?

My FlySky GT-5 didn't come with a rechargeable battery. I'm fine with it though. AA's are cheap and easily replaceable. It's one less battery for me to forget to charge before a trail run.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

I found these recharble 2600mAh AA batteries that I had to recharge less often then standard Duracell AA batteries. Powerex Low Self-Discharge Precharged AA Rechargeable Nimh Batteries, (MH-8AAP-BH) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSG0C4S..._jWtfCbDC8Y9PF

To me the major annoyance of the dx5r and dx5 pro is that the battery lid is screwed in.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My FlySky GT-5 didn't come with a rechargeable battery. I'm fine with it though. AA's are cheap and easily replaceable. It's one less battery for me to forget to charge before a trail run.
Interesting. I've only had the gt3b & c I don't have the gt5 so I just figured they used the same battery as the gt3c (single cell lipo hard case) similar to the i4s whatever radio that was. Now they have the Noble radio with 2 batteries (built into the handle, and removable base) which is ingenious. The battery in the gt3c lasts 4 times longer than any AAA radios I've used, and USB rechargeable from inside your car cig lighter. One would have to be a dunce to have a dead gt3c radio at the trailhead, and no I'm Not calling you a dunce.

The thing I don't like about Alkaline battery radios such as this is they are heavy, and now I have to carry extra batteries that can easily fall out of storage and get lost, did I mention they are heavy.

I went on a 5 day camp and crawl trip this year (Pro Line By the Fire) I would have used a brick of batteries in that week long trip as we crawled probably 8-10 hours a day. I only had to top off my gt3c once.

Even my dx4s allowed me to convert to lipo and go into settings to tell the radio it is running on lipo and set the cutoff. I'm all for this type of radio, and I do like this one, but come on spectrum... fully commit to it, give us something new and ground breaking, not just rubber baby bumpers and steering flipper. Make it badass!!!

Last edited by rockhugger; 12-15-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
About time someone came out with a crawler specific radio. Good Lord, with the scale segment being so hot, you would think this would have been a no-brainer.

It's a great start, how about a built-in LED on the front and a molded GoPro mount option? The Rugged Deluxe?
I did that years ago hoping it would get someones attention. I wired in two 18,000 mcd led bulbs drilled and pointed forward on my old gt3b. It worked so awesome for night crawling and safely walking on slabs, and back then I ran axial trucks so that included night repairs.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #92
RCC Addict

Big Squid has a unboxing of the rugged
Unboxing The All New Spektrum DX5 Rugged!!! « Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Just got notification that my radio has shipped but with FedEx, I don't expect it anytime soon.

Considering my current Spektrum radios are a old DX3C and a really old DX2.0, this seems like a good time for an upgrade.

Tower and Horizon have them in stock right now for any other impatient people.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #94
RCC Addict

The up close unboxing looks pretty nice. I really hope this is lipo adaptable.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Also there are spektrum dsm2 recievers for air that are slightly cheaper than dsmr recievers I ordered one for my dx5 pro to see I'd they work.

Also for less than $10 there are dsm2 5 and 6ch recievers from china, I ordered one from the slow boat if it works on the dx5c and dx5 pro it will probably work on this.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Also there are spektrum dsm2 recievers for air that are slightly cheaper than dsmr recievers I ordered one for my dx5 pro to see I'd they work.

Also for less than $10 there are dsm2 5 and 6ch recievers from china, I ordered one from the slow boat if it works on the dx5c and dx5 pro it will probably work on this.
Air receivers don’t work with surface transmitters, different protocols or something like that. Air DSM2 isn’t the same as surface DSM2 despite being called the same thing. A lot of people have been down that road trying to get cheaper receivers.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #97

And receiver costs are what is keeping me from using my Spektrum DX4C.
For most cars I end up using my TS4G, because the receivers are 1/5th the costs.

As much as I like the idea, and even though I would pay the 180 EUR for the radio... I still would use a different one for most of the cars, bacause of the receivers.

For 20 EUR I can get a FrSky receiver with 10km range, telemetry,16 channels etc, but on surface I don't even get half of a 3ch receiver for the same money? It's too much of a ripoff in my eyes, when compared to air radios.

Last edited by Don Promillo; 12-21-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Don Promillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Air receivers don’t work with surface transmitters, different protocols or something like that. Air DSM2 isn’t the same as surface DSM2 despite being called the same thing. A lot of people have been down that road trying to get cheaper receivers.
I've read it both ways, so im crossing my fingers.
One post said it was difficult to get them to bind but once they did they worked well.
One post said they were only compatible with air transmitters and the newer ground transmitters.
One post said the base protocol language (er something like that) was different and they wouldn't work.
Hind sight I should have emailed them first.
or found some one in town who flies planes to test it out.

From the Spektrum manual
Quote:
The Spektrum™ AR410 receiver is a full
range telemetry receiver featuring DSM®
technology and is compatible with all
Spektrum™ and JR® aircraft radios that
support DSM2® and DSMX® technology
So Spektrum is lying if its not compatible.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-22-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:06 AM   #99
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
From the Spektrum manual

So Spektrum is lying if its not compatible.

It states “compatible with all aircraft radios”... so I’m curious if it”ll work because receiver cost is what’s making me doubt about the DX5 Rugged.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Chris-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Laughing at how a lanyard loop is such a big deal. I used a lanyard from the trade-shows I have to do for work, a grommet washer and existing screw hole on the DX4C. Problem solved in about 1 minute.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx5, radio, rugged, spektrum, transmitter

Spektrum DX5 Rugged - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Spektrum DX5 Pro In Stock!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 07-30-2018 09:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? rockin86runner Electronics 7 11-30-2011 11:06 AM
Spektrum DX5 Kanine38 Electronics 1 09-07-2010 05:12 AM
dx5 or dx6? dirtman Electronics 10 03-12-2009 11:40 AM
new spektrum dx5, with traxxas xl-5 esc, motor? drnedatsnov Electronics 2 01-31-2009 03:48 PM