RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Spektrum DX5 Rugged (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/604409-spektrum-dx5-rugged.html)

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 12:29 PM

Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Big Squid had this page up earlier, but took it down. So either they leaked this radio early or they published an April Fool's joke a few months early. :lmao:

I like the concept - a more durable and water resistant radio for the trails. It makes perfect sense.

Here's what I was able to snag:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4879/...1b2a328f_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4886/...1b5282cc_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4842/...1bd120e4_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4825/...d5ca28fe_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4844/...6b148e75_o.jpg

JSterrett 12-07-2018 01:13 PM

Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Looks interesting. Really surprising there aren't more transmitters like this in my opinion...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bananaclip 12-07-2018 01:15 PM

Love it! Nice find Jato......

bilinvic 12-07-2018 01:20 PM

I need this!!!

TheLetterJ 12-07-2018 01:29 PM

I expected to see a 3' long antenna sticking out, with that styling (OG Traxxas tq anyone?) but overall I like it... shall we guess, $250ish?

edit: I came across an image that showed 139 Euros, so more like $159 US.

MasteroFlego 12-07-2018 02:03 PM

Hot

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

MasteroFlego 12-07-2018 02:05 PM

Shape definitely reminds me of the old 27mhz Traxxas radios

JSterrett 12-07-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLetterJ (Post 5890186)
I expected to see a 3' long antenna sticking out, with that styling (OG Traxxas tq anyone?) but overall I like it... shall we guess, $250ish?

edit: I came across an image that showed 139 Euros, so more like $159 US.

If that's accurate, this might get me to move on from my DX4S radios...

Frank211 12-07-2018 02:10 PM

The antenna, no bueno,I don't think itll look good on the trails...lol... Disclaimer, horrible photo shopped...lol

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Frank211 12-07-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5890196)
The antenna, no bueno,I don't think itll look good on the trails...lol... Disclaimer, horrible photo shopped...lol

Forgot pichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f7792c2762.jpg

MasteroFlego 12-07-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5890197)
Forgot pichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f7792c2762.jpg

I'm confused, that strut is secured by a screw at both ends

JSterrett 12-07-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasteroFlego (Post 5890198)
I'm confused, that strut is secured by a screw at both ends

He photoshopped the image as a joke...

OSRC 12-07-2018 03:09 PM

About time someone came out with a crawler specific radio. Good Lord, with the scale segment being so hot, you would think this would have been a no-brainer.

It's a great start, how about a built-in LED on the front and a molded GoPro mount option? The Rugged Deluxe? :)

soze 12-07-2018 03:31 PM

Looks pretty nice. How much do receivers for Spektrum usually run?

JSterrett 12-07-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5890208)
Looks pretty nice. How much do receivers for Spektrum usually run?

That's the big downfall of Spektrum IMO, I think the cheapest start at $40

*edit* My bad, looks like the cheapest is $30 (2-ch), $45 for 3-ch and up from there...

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 5890209)

*edit* My bad, looks like the cheapest is $30 (2-ch), $45 for 3-ch and up from there...

Spektrum is a top tier brand like Futaba and Sanwa. What do expect to pay for a receiver? My Futaba 3PM-X receivers were something like $80 each!

soze 12-07-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5890214)
Spektrum is a top tier brand like Futaba and Sanwa. What do expect to pay for a receiver? My Futaba 3PM-X receivers were something like $80 each!

Holy crap! Might be time to bust out the velcro for those receivers.

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5890217)
Holy crap! Might be time to bust out the velcro for those receivers.

Futaba FAAST receivers are expensive.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRAZ5&P=0

soze 12-07-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5890218)

Ouch.... yeah sometimes I wonder if I really should just start using velcro on receivers and just move them from vehicle to vehicle as I need them. Probably save a bit of money when you have lots and lots of R/C's

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5890227)
Ouch.... yeah sometimes I wonder if I really should just start using velcro on receivers and just move them from vehicle to vehicle as I need them. Probably save a bit of money when you have lots and lots of R/C's

When you have a cheap(er) radio like FkySky the receivers are only $15 or so a pop. Much more manageable. I save my good radios for other things. But honestly these days I'd be fine without the good ones.

JSterrett 12-07-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5890214)

IMO, Futaba > Spektrum, so I'd expect them to be more. And I didn't say the prices were ridiculous or unwarranted, I just think if I had to pick my biggest gripe with Spektrum, it's that the receiver cost can kick your ass if you've got a lot of vehicles...

My #2 gripe would probably be that a lot of there transmitters can feel pretty cheap in certain areas...

I still run them though. I have 2 DX4S radios, and they are programmed for most of my vehicles. I have a few oddballs/loaners running FlySky GT3Cs. I just try snag up any cheap used receivers I can come across...

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 05:12 PM

Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 5890233)
IMO, Futaba > Spektrum, so I'd expect them to be more. And I didn't say the prices were ridiculous or unwarranted, I just think if I had to pick my biggest gripe with Spektrum, it's that the receiver cost can kick your ass if you've got a lot of vehicles...

My #2 gripe would probably be that a lot of there transmitters can feel pretty cheap in certain areas...

I still run them though. I have 2 DX4S radios, and they are programmed for most of my vehicles. I have a few oddballs/loaners running FlySky GT3Cs. I just try snag up any cheap used receivers I can come across...

Lots of people think that, but you know what they say about opinions...

My point was that Spektrum receivers are cheap, or at least competitive, when compared to the competition (Futaba and Sanwa).

I do agree Spektrum radios can feel cheap, but they are often less expensive than the two aforementioned brands and they work just as well. I have at least one radio from the big three and I could never justify the added cost of a Futaba or Sanwa. With that being said, as I mentioned above, I'd live happily with the new FlySky GT5 these days. It works well and receivers are extremely inexpensive.

JSterrett 12-07-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5890236)
Lots of people think that, but you know what they say about opinions...

My point was that Spektrum receivers are cheap, or at least competitive, when compared to the competition (Futaba and Sanwa).

I do agree Spektrum radios can feel cheap, but they are often less expensive than the two aforementioned brands and they work just as well. I have at least one radio from the big three and I could never justify the added cost of a Futaba or Sanwa. With that being said, as I mentioned above, I'd live happily with the new FlySky GT5 these days. It works well and receivers are extremely inexpensive.

Fair enough. We've all got our opinions, lol.

What's the quality like on the GT5? Better than the GT3B/C transmitters?

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 5890238)
Fair enough. We've all got our opinions, lol.

What's the quality like on the GT5? Better than the GT3B/C transmitters?

I hate the GT3. I refused to buy one. Looks and feels like garbage to me and the menus always seemed to have bugs (apparently bugs were fixed in the newer ones). The GT5, to me, looks and feels better. I'm a fan.

Jboucher 12-07-2018 07:37 PM

Meh
I'll keep my good old Radiolink RC4GS...

Waterproof is overrated, the truck and the Radio are waterproof but even in light rain, you are soaking wet and freezing after 30mins and you get inside...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 12-07-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jboucher (Post 5890264)
Meh
I'll keep my good old Radiolink RC4GS...

Waterproof is overrated, the truck and the Radio are waterproof but even in light rain, you are soaking wet and freezing after 30mins and you get inside...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most radios are not waterproof. This one is. It does rain when it's warm. And also, you may unexpectedly be on the trail when it decides to rain out of nowhere. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes for water to destroy electronics.

I have the RC4GS (really Turnigy TS4G) as well and it's a good radio, but the antenna is fragile and easily broken. The radio also isn't that durable. I caught myself in a fall with it and the bang messed it up and it never centered again after that. I've dropped other radios without messing them up.

mOOsE 12-08-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 5890233)

30-40 bucks is cheap. Not to mention you can run the cheap receivers from hobbyking that are 15.

ferp420 12-08-2018 08:21 AM

I have a few spectrum radios there cheaper modles though indont see any improvement over the others i also have a few of the old school futabas a bunch of cheap rtr flyskys axial /redcats and a gt3c and a tacktic honestly they all do the same thing i dont think on3 dose better than the others my freind has a futaba pl4sltjultrsjblu or what ever it was exspensive and hard to program i almost bought one but i used his and dident like it i ended up buying th3 gt3c and hacked it and i am gona get another one i realy like them however the steering wheel broke off like 3 times

Also a.5pack of 6 channel recivers for the flysky was.only $25

Greatscott 12-08-2018 08:50 AM

DAMN!!!! I just bought a 5C to go with my 5R...

Hopefully waterproof radios are the next trend in RC. It has never made any sense to me that our rigs can be ran in the rain, but we had to keep the radios covered.

It is a little cheesy, but I like the 4-way clip. Also, I really wish more radios came with lanyard rings.

Well, we'll have to see how this guy is priced out.

When the topic of any radio comes up people always throw out Flysky. I have never liked the feel of these, they feel chintzy and ready to fall apart if you look at them wrong. Plus, I have seen too many of them fail to really trust getting one, of course they are dirt cheap. Although, I am thinking seriously about getting one. I read somewhere that there is a flavor of Flysky that can be hacked to 12 channels, a project I am working on now is going to require at least 9 channels and I was just going run off of my DX5R with two RXs.

WHITE-TRASH 12-08-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5890218)

The cheapest sanwa/airtronics receivers out there start at $40 and run up to $100 easily.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/sanwa-a...41258a/p500055

After using most every brand of radio out there except futaba I'll put flysky above spektrum easily. Sure it feels cheap but feelings don't matter, I want functionality and ease of use. I really do enjoy my MT4 radio. It just works and I don't have any issues. I originally bought it just for my pro but I've since swapped everything over to it.

Spektrum annoys me with its requirement to scroll to the top of each screen to go back rather than use the BACK button that is right there next to the thumb wheel. I recently had a spektrum dx4s randomly give me 50% steering even though there were no buttons assigned to raise or lower the dual rate at the time. I assigned a button to raise the rate back to 100% and the next time I went to use the rig it had decided to lose bind. I'd have expected it with a knockoff receiver but this is a factory receiver that did it.

I hope this radio is real and that others follow suit. I did get a chuckle over the lanyard tab being a feature. That's been a basic thing on every radio out there except spektrum for decades and now it's a big deal :lol:

I'd love to see an M12 built like this. Rubber coated with a bit of water resistance would be groovy.

soze 12-08-2018 01:57 PM

I started out with Sanwa MX-V transmitter and bought a bunch of RX-37W, RX-371W at around $40 a pop. Those are all sitting in my Tamiyas right now. After I got my FlySky GT3C w/$9-11 receivers, I pretty much stick those in all my crawler type vehicles. I just can't justify needing more things paired to my Sanwa. I don't race or anything like that, so don't really need the really fancy stuff. Just need the # of channels and # of vehicle memory.

JatoTheRipper 12-08-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5890381)

After using most every brand of radio out there except futaba I'll put flysky above spektrum easily. Sure it feels cheap but feelings don't matter, I want functionality and ease of use. I really do enjoy my MT4 radio. It just works and I don't have any issues. I originally bought it just for my pro but I've since swapped everything over to it.

Spektrum annoys me with its requirement to scroll to the top of each screen to go back rather than use the BACK button that is right there next to the thumb wheel. I recently had a spektrum dx4s randomly give me 50% steering even though there were no buttons assigned to raise or lower the dual rate at the time. I assigned a button to raise the rate back to 100% and the next time I went to use the rig it had decided to lose bind. I'd have expected it with a knockoff receiver but this is a factory receiver that did it.

I hope this radio is real and that others follow suit. I did get a chuckle over the lanyard tab being a feature. That's been a basic thing on every radio out there except spektrum for decades and now it's a big deal :lol:

I'd love to see an M12 built like this. Rubber coated with a bit of water resistance would be groovy.

Depends on what's important. Spektrum is backed by the best customer service in the industry. Those of us with FlySky GT5's can't even figure out why old receivers don't work with this radio despite the manual saying they will. Good luck getting anybody to pick up the phone at FlySky.

I bet if you called Spektrum about your issue they'd make it right.

WHITE-TRASH 12-08-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5890387)
Depends on what's important. Spektrum is backed by the best customer service in the industry. Those of us with FlySky GT5's can't even figure out why old receivers don't work with this radio despite the manual saying they will. Good luck getting anybody to pick up the phone at FlySky.

I bet if you called Spektrum about your issue they'd make it right.

I do my best to never use customer service at all in my life. If I had a problem with flysky it was easy. Hack kit and go about my day.

The issue with the spektrum radio is really easy to fix. I already ordered a $45 waterproof sanwa receiver so the spektrum can go back on the shelf. :lol:

brimdogg 12-09-2018 01:02 AM

Yeah OEM Spektrum are $30+, but if you need 3 or less channels you can get by with the "orange" receivers for about $15-18/ea.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 5890209)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

roadrashracing 12-09-2018 05:28 AM

I certain wish spektrum would at least have a lanyard spot.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

Lavaheadache 12-09-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrashracing (Post 5890466)
I certain wish spektrum would at least have a lanyard spot.

It does. You can't see it in the pictures?

WHITE-TRASH 12-09-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavaheadache (Post 5890470)

On this so far mythical radio there is a lanyard loop but the rest of pistol radios do not.

lonleycreeper 12-09-2018 11:36 AM

Market research.....

Spectrum leaks a pic...

RCC accepts wishes hopes its true...

A thread goes 10 pages of suspision, bashing and wishing....

Spectrum releases a "new" Dx5c water resistant, and shock proof with avc...
3years later...

If this radio was available next year, I would buy it in a moment.

roadrashracing 12-09-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavaheadache (Post 5890470)

I mean on current radios.

mprudic0404 12-09-2018 09:50 PM

spektrum RX^s (orange version) can be had quite cheap. I watch hobbyking, and picked up 12 rx's for like 4 or 5 bucks each a little while ago. each person has their own preffered radio, for the reasons make sense. Is one brand better than the next? yes and no, but its gets even crazier from here. If your inclined to pick up the top teir versions(they all have a upper spec TX) then you also need a super fast servo, special RX (or premium ,to take advantage of the response rate) and after all this money, need a reaction time on par with john force. Are these worth the cost? yes, but i would be honestly suprised if the micro-second reaction (response rates) could be a game changer.

I can say that the super fast servos are worth every penny and can actualy change how you drive, but its a rare need when a servo is worth the cost of the whole car or truck.

If the water proof TX is real, i would get one in a heart beat. Its not because of the name or manufacture, but only because this hobby is year round, and mother nature cant hold me down.

its possible to make any electrical board waterproof, but it would require a group effort, as the coating isnt cheap because you cant buy small amounts. if you want to see the coating, take apart any modern tool or battery. milwaukee, dewalt, makita, AG, etc... they all coat the boards as a protective measure. i wouldnt put my tools in the lake, but the boards would survive.
the tool companies do this to help protect the boards, for drops, hits, abuse,etc.. it adds a tiny bit of strength holding componets down, and keeps dirt/dust from altering power flow. Cool stuff, this comformal coating. (water proof phones have this too)