Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Good ESC For out runner motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #1

Default Good ESC For out runner motor

I'm getting back into the hobby after years of being out of it still have some of my parts going to be building a SCX 10 Scale crawler and want to run my Out Runner Motor that I had before but not sure what the best ESC would be?
Erick O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Good ESC For out runner motor

I use a mamba max pro for my outrunner. Holmes has his new esc that is set up a little better for running an out runner.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Holmes ble pro
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Holmes BLE Pro
Angus_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice.
Erick O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yup, HH BLE Pro. Just put one on my airboat that runs an outrunner. The adjustable frequencies is going to be nice to play around with.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

If it's a sensorless outrunner (as most are), you can also use a Castle Sidewinder 3, which is factory waterproofed and substantially less expensive than the others mentioned. Like the Mambas and the Holmes, it too can be programmed using Castle Link cable & software. This is what I'm using to power the Turnigy D3542 1250kv outrunner in my Gelände 2 chassis. One notable disadvantage, compared to the others, is that it'll only accept 2s-3s Lipo.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Yup, HH BLE Pro. Just put one on my airboat that runs an outrunner. The adjustable frequencies is going to be nice to play around with.

What motor is in the Cajun Queen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angus_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

1800kv stocker
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

I have a quick question i have a stock trx4 sport and i wana run a outrunner is it able to run it or do i have to upgrade the esc as well im new in the rc world but i read some on the outrunners and i kinda wanna try them out
Kirbyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Mamba-X or BLE. I'm running a HH 1800KV Revolver with a Mamba-X and It's a sweet set up. The new drag brake ramping feature with the Mamba/Castle is worth the price of admission.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyrc View Post
I have a quick question i have a stock trx4 sport and i wana run a outrunner is it able to run it or do i have to upgrade the esc as well im new in the rc world but i read some on the outrunners and i kinda wanna try them out
A new esc would be needed, but nice work on the search skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Mamba-X or BLE. I'm running a HH 1800KV Revolver with a Mamba-X and It's a sweet set up. The new drag brake ramping feature with the Mamba/Castle is worth the price of admission.
You’re not kidding. The 10.2 I just built has a mamba x and the 1800kv as well and it sticks on inclines at neutral like a velcro goat. Much better than the castle 2280 in my trx4.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

John says the best ESC for an out-runner is the Castle SW4. I am running 1800kv out-runner on a Mamba X in a TRX4 and a 1400kv out-runner on a SW4 in SCX10. Both are insane with low speed control. I personally cant tell the difference because they have wicked smooth takeoff. But if I were running just an out-runner I would definitely get the SW4 as its so much cheaper. Just note you would want a BEC with the SW4.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
John says the best ESC for an out-runner is the Castle SW4. I am running 1800kv out-runner on a Mamba X in a TRX4 and a 1400kv out-runner on a SW4 in SCX10. Both are insane with low speed control. I personally cant tell the difference because they have wicked smooth takeoff. But if I were running just an out-runner I would definitely get the SW4 as its so much cheaper. Just note you would want a BEC with the SW4.
This.
The Sidewinder4 is built on newer tech then then the BLE or the Mamba X, cryodrive that makes it smoother for non sensord motors.
the difference Isn't anything major, but the prices are. otherwise get the Mamba X if you feel you need the features.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That's not entirely accurate, you can get higher kv 4 pole motors. 4pole motors were at one time much smoother then 2 pole motors but design improvements have lessened this considerably. The size and number of wraps of the windings probably still have the biggest impact on speed and torque.

When going brushless if your motor can handle the rpms and voltage its not a bad idea to get an esc like the mamba x that can also handle the voltage as well. But you can get a 4pole motor that is 3x faster then a 2 pole motor and vise versa. The biggest difference in torque is in the size of the motor. Bigger motors will generally have more torque. Outrunners being the exception.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bougti View Post
I had to look this up and so far, it seems that # of poles doesn't matter to an esc. What happens is the increase in poles is used to make more torque without the use of a gearbox, but the motor turns slower. In order to compensate for the lower rpm, you have to increase voltage to the motor. I think this might be the issue with some esc. You would want an esc capable of higher voltages of a 3s or 4s.

rcuniverse /forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1640041-poles-motor.html

This was about 5 minutes of looking before work. But I've never known poles to matter really. 9Apps VidMate Apk9apps.com
Bump this thread every time you spend $100 or more on RC Car(s)/Truck(s), parts, mods, chargers, batteries, etc.- either a car or truck or something to make your car or truck go, turn or stop. Anything that makes an RC car/truck go that adds up to over $100. Tell us what you bought and how much you spent over $100.

Last edited by smithclarkson01; 07-14-2019 at 09:23 PM.
smithclarkson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bougti View Post
I had to look this up and so far, it seems that # of poles doesn't matter to an esc. What happens is the increase in poles is used to make more torque without the use of a gearbox, but the motor turns slower. In order to compensate for the lower rpm, you have to increase voltage to the motor. I think this might be the issue with some esc. You would want an esc capable of higher voltages of a 3s or 4s.

rcuniverse /forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/1640041-poles-motor.html

This was about 5 minutes of looking before work. But I've never known poles to matter really.

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox
The number of poles does matter to an ESC. The ESC doesn't know how many poles the motor has, it's just pushing current to the motor in a specific sequence. Where you can run into issues is that for a given kv, a 4 pole motor needs twice as many of those pulses as a 2 pole would. A 6 pole motor would need 3 times as many of those pulses. Get some of these 12 and 14 pole outrunners, and all of a sudden, that ESC has to send a LOT of pulses. Not a lot of ESCs can operate that fast. A 2000kv 12 pole outrunner needs the same number of pulses per second as a 12000kv 2 pole inrunner would. This is where the "maximum rpm" information for an ESC becomes important. Unfortunately, not a lot of ESC manufacturers provide this info. That info is floating around for Castle, and it's a high enough number to support the outrunners that most of us use, but I'm willing to bet that if you try to run some of these outrunners with an Ebay Special, you aren't going to get the same results.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The number of poles does matter to an ESC. The ESC doesn't know how many poles the motor has, it's just pushing current to the motor in a specific sequence. Where you can run into issues is that for a given kv, a 4 pole motor needs twice as many of those pulses as a 2 pole would. A 6 pole motor would need 3 times as many of those pulses. Get some of these 12 and 14 pole outrunners, and all of a sudden, that ESC has to send a LOT of pulses. Not a lot of ESCs can operate that fast. A 2000kv 12 pole outrunner needs the same number of pulses per second as a 12000kv 2 pole inrunner would. This is where the "maximum rpm" information for an ESC becomes important. Unfortunately, not a lot of ESC manufacturers provide this info. That info is floating around for Castle, and it's a high enough number to support the outrunners that most of us use, but I'm willing to bet that if you try to run some of these outrunners with an Ebay Special, you aren't going to get the same results.
This is very true. E-RPM ( electrical rpm ) is the RPM x the number of pole pairs. ERPM is what would limit the esc's top end speed. That being said a 14 pole motor ( 7 pole pairs ) at 1850kv would be spinning at max 23,000 rpm no load at about 12.5 volts. This is only 162k erpm which pretty much any esc should handle. Even the old atmega8 mcu can run a motor up to 250k erpm.

There will be other differences though between a cheap esc and a nice castle. Like low speed performance and startup.

Last edited by Alka; 03-28-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Alka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #19

If that's the case, then sweet. I had heard that a lot of guys trying to run outrunners were running into the RPM limits of their cheap ESCs, but because those specs aren't often published, it was difficult to validate.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post

Seems Jato must have had difficulty getting this part working. [shrug]
I wonder if he tried the castle-link thingy.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Good ESC For out runner motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good motor and esc for grade r1 raynman G-Made Crawlers 5 01-07-2015 12:30 PM
will this esc and motor be good in the kit vito Axial Wraith 7 12-07-2011 10:11 PM
good motor to use with mamba esc avengersteve Electronics 7 11-18-2009 10:08 AM
If your looking for a good motor/esc set... Pete720 HPI Wheely King 3 02-15-2009 12:41 AM
older esc anyoen try these LRP RUNNER PLUS ESC W/ REVERSE rockwerks Electronics 9 08-16-2006 11:03 PM