Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: "Waterproof" Servo died from light water exposure...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "Waterproof" Servo died from light water exposure...

I had a servo that saw no water submersion, but was rinsed with tap water and dried with compressed air, and it died pretty quicky (less then 6 runs).

The sevo is advertised as waterproof but now I'm questioning whether I should apply additional waterproofing to future servos.

Was it bad luck or should I waterproof everything regardless of them already being waterproof out of the factory?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Waterproof" Servo died from light water exposure...

What make and model was the victim?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My guess would be that you blew water in while drying it with compressed air.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Did you open it up? There's a good chance its death may not have even been water related.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hence my question as to the make and model...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The term "waterproof" can mean anything. But most likely when you dried it using compressed air you blew water in past the grommet that makes it "waterproof".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
What make and model was the victim?
Amazon 20kg servo. DS3218MG

Old 12-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Did you open it up? There's a good chance its death may not have even been water related.
Yup. The motor had water in it, as did the inner casing where the electrical is.

Before it started to go, it was hard steering left, enough to flex the front part of the truck.

By the time I got it home to test, it would spin like at top speed and then flick wildly if I touched the potentiometer.

Tried to save it with electrical contact cleaner and blown air but it was a no go.

I have a "waterproof" Savox 1210, but I fear it would be just as unreliable unless I waterproof it myself.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADlBOO View Post
The term "waterproof" can mean anything. But most likely when you dried it using compressed air you blew water in past the grommet that makes it "waterproof".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It seems that water entered the gearbox and motor through the part where the servo horn connects to.

It was acting up before I got it wet (like the next day and after a long outing with it - not getting it wet that time), and blowing air into that part would have been very difficult seeing how that opening is quite trenched in the truck.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

This is why you stick to reputable servo brands from actual hobby vendors.

I've gotten multiple knockoff servos over the past few years. They can put whatever they want on the listing with no recourse.

I had a knockoff bluebird servo from ebay not to long ago. It was advertised as brushless, It had a standard servo motor in it...

I order all of my cheap powerhd servos through valuehobbies in IL RC Planes, Quadcopters, Cars and 3D Printer | Value Hobby
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I run a couple DS3218 servos in my rigs and haven't had any trouble with them, that being said I know at $17-$18 from Amazon they are NOT top of the line I know they are better than the stock ones I replaced but I know they will eventually fail that's why there are spares on the shelf. You get what you pay for, bottom line, and as long as you know that starting out you won't be disappointed.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

if you have pure reactant grade alchool, you can dunk it in a cup. the water will will be displaced mostly with the alchool. (not a perfect expl, as they actualy combine, but it stops water damage.)

Motor cleaner can do similar. just flood the motor and electronics. allow to dry on a top shelf of your home.(warmest area and also lowest humidity)

sorry to hear, ive used air compressor to dry my rc's all the time, without damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Yup. The motor had water in it, as did the inner casing where the electrical is.

Before it started to go, it was hard steering left, enough to flex the front part of the truck.

By the time I got it home to test, it would spin like at top speed and then flick wildly if I touched the potentiometer.

Tried to save it with electrical contact cleaner and blown air but it was a no go.

I have a "waterproof" Savox 1210, but I fear it would be just as unreliable unless I waterproof it myself.

mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprudic0404 View Post

Motor cleaner can do similar. just flood the motor and electronics. allow to dry on a top shelf of your home.(warmest area and also lowest humidity)
I did this, but it was to no avail. Even if it did work, I wouldn't not have been able to lube the motor properly after spraying the cleaner since the bushing/bearing is not exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I run a couple DS3218 servos in my rigs and haven't had any trouble with them, that being said I know at $17-$18 from Amazon they are NOT top of the line I know they are better than the stock ones I replaced but I know they will eventually fail that's why there are spares on the shelf. You get what you pay for, bottom line, and as long as you know that starting out you won't be disappointed.
Yeah, I've got several in other rigs. This one was the newest of the bunch. It did outlast my original Traxxas 2075x servo, so there's that

I've got more on the way and will keep some spares. I will be adding grease, shoe goo, plastidip wherever possible to hopefully avoid this problem. I may also try the Savox servo just to see how long it lasts.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

cheap servos and knock off's are all too common.

i can only suggest, to take apart a new servo, and adjust as needed.

(i do always do this after i got a BRAND NEW -powerHD servo that was exposed to extreme heat during shipment. all the grease they put on the gears was pooled into the top cover corner, with very little on gears- prior to disambley, i tested it and found it to be quite loud)

i always test new items with my simple homemade usb servo tester that cost me a few bucks to make.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

final info, if it can help.

you MAY still be able to save this water logged servo.

dry it best you can, soak motor in oil (bushing type oil) and then put in a oven at 170f for a few hours. put a wet paper towel under motor and elevate electronics. the excess oil will run out, and thin out as well.

a few hours later, remove from oven and then using your compressor, blow out motor again while its still semi warm. (cleans remaining oil from motor comm)

not many ovens go as low as 170f, but some do, and this is low enough to dry, but not damage plastic or electronics.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprudic0404 View Post
final info, if it can help.

you MAY still be able to save this water logged servo.

dry it best you can, soak motor in oil (bushing type oil) and then put in a oven at 170f for a few hours. put a wet paper towel under motor and elevate electronics. the excess oil will run out, and thin out as well.

a few hours later, remove from oven and then using your compressor, blow out motor again while its still semi warm. (cleans remaining oil from motor comm)

not many ovens go as low as 170f, but some do, and this is low enough to dry, but not damage plastic or electronics.
I will consider this in the future, but for now, I been lucky to get a refund.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

thats great, cheers on the refund.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
I had a servo that saw no water submersion, but was rinsed with tap water and dried with compressed air, and it died pretty quicky (less then 6 runs).

You should take a little responsibility for this. Your actions of using compressed air to dry off a servo is the most likely reason for water entering the servo. Using compressed air, blows grease seals out, and will cause rubber o rings to expand as the air pushes water into the servo.

That is really a bad habit that you will want to avoid in the future, if you want to have more reliable electronics.

Hopefully a lesson learned.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
You should take a little responsibility for this. Your actions of using compressed air to dry off a servo is the most likely reason for water entering the servo. Using compressed air, blows grease seals out, and will cause rubber o rings to expand as the air pushes water into the servo.
I will definitely consider this (what is the best practice for drying off a wet truck?). However, due to the placement of the servo in the truck, I don't believe I had a good enough "shot" at the orings or grease seals. I tend to blow off water from the metal chassis and screws, but don't really go near the electronics or motor (I remove the motor and clean that separately) and I only spray under my esc andreceiver box, not directly on it. Then I apply dialectic grease where needed (i.e. Motor sensor connection, on/off switch, etc.)

If it is the air causing the issue, then I will have to rethink using compressed air or perhaps be even more diligent when using it.

I appreciate all the feedback and tips! I'm thankful this wasn't an expensive servo like I've seen some people in my group using!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
I will definitely consider this (what is the best practice for drying off a wet truck?). However, due to the placement of the servo in the truck, I don't believe I had a good enough "shot" at the orings or grease seals. I tend to blow off water from the metal chassis and screws, but don't really go near the electronics or motor (I remove the motor and clean that separately) and I only spray under my esc andreceiver box, not directly on it. Then I apply dialectic grease where needed (i.e. Motor sensor connection, on/off switch, etc.)

If it is the air causing the issue, then I will have to rethink using compressed air or perhaps be even more diligent when using it.

I appreciate all the feedback and tips! I'm thankful this wasn't an expensive servo like I've seen some people in my group using!

The other thing to remember about compressed air, and that depends on what you are using, is that air from a compressor as oil atomized in it. Of course that depends on your compressor.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

"Waterproof" Servo died from light water exposure... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo "shuttering" under light throttle Joush Electronics 5 04-05-2009 05:52 PM
RCP Crawlers "Everyday Low Prices" Hitec 645 Metal Gear Servo "GIVE-A-WAY" Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 126 01-03-2007 10:36 PM