Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: No instant reverse Mamba X + Trx-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default No instant reverse Mamba X + Trx-4

So here's something that's been stumping me.

I own two TRX-4's with the same Mamba X + 2850kv combo systems. I copied the settings from one to the other, but "instant reverse" doesn't seem to work when using the crawler mode via the AUX cable.

Any suggestions on what I need to look at?

To clarify: I have the AUX set to switch between rock racer and rock crawler mode depending on whether the TRX-4 is on high or low gear. In rock crawler mode (enabled when in low gear) the drag break is turned on high and it should go into instant reverse, but it doesn't (only the drag break switches). Using the same settings on both trucks and it works fine on one of them.

I will note that the only other difference between the two is that one truck is using the Flysky GT5 radio and the other (which isn't working right) is using the Traxxas TQI radio. Previously, I was using the TQI instead of the flysky and it worked fine, so I know the radio shouldn't be a problem.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: No instant reverse Mamba X + Trx-4

Is your aux channel using the same switching? Or is one momentary, or scaling/variable?
Will make a difference on your esc switching.

I run the same setup on my bomber, but the channel is on variable. Once it gets past 50% drag brake then crawl mode sets in with instant reverse. At less than 50 percent drag brake is variable and reverse is braking first, reverse after 2 seconds. Keeps it from flipping over frontwards. LOL
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

On my rig with the flysky, I have the AUX being controlled by a knob - trail mode (rock racer) at 50% or less and 51%+ it kicks into rock crawler mode with the drag break increasing as the knob is turned more.

On the TRX-4 with the TQI, it's basically linked to the speed switch (either high or low with no granularity), and it seems to work as intended except the reverse mode.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
On my rig with the flysky, I have the AUX being controlled by a knob - trail mode (rock racer) at 50% or less and 51%+ it kicks into rock crawler mode with the drag break increasing as the knob is turned more.
Any special setting to do this? I just installed another mamba x which will be used with my gt5. My other on is simply on off using channel 3 on a gt3c
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post

On the TRX-4 with the TQI, it's basically linked to the speed switch (either high or low with no granularity), and it seems to work as intended except the reverse mode.

Sounds like it's not going fully into the 'crawl mode' with 'on/off'. I would contact Castle directly for some tech support.

Seems to me there's a setting for the drag brake that affects this whole thing as well, but I'm no expert and don't have any documentation at hand.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Any special setting to do this? I just installed another mamba x which will be used with my gt5. My other on is simply on off using channel 3 on a gt3c
I've got the AUX wire into channel 6 so that knob controls it. It's very slick and works great out in the field!
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Depending on how the radio treats endpoints it may not be getting in to crawl mode. The spec for radios is to have 100% reverse output a 1.0ms pulse and 100% throttle to output a 2.0ms pulse. Some radios have 120% reverse as 1.0ms and 120% throttle set to 2.0ms. This is why we have a radio calibration feature in startup. Not all brands agree on the pulse output so we have to adapt to what they are outputting. There is no calibration on the AUX wire. We just look for a value between 1.1 and 1.9 ms. Depending on where your radio sets 100% EPA, it might not be getting to the 1.9ms. You can view what value you are getting in the data logs.

When in Rock/Race mode, the drag brake setting is used to determine when the point at which it changes reverse mode. The setting doesn't affect the actual drag brake. It uses the value of the AUX wire(scaled between 1.1 and 1.9ms pulse) to determine the drag brake value. If you have your drag brake set to 100% in castle link, your radio might not be getting to 1.9ms pulse output on that channel. If you are using a toggle, set the drag brake setting to 50. If you are using a dial set it lower(10-20) so that it goes into crawler reverse mode as soon as there is enough drag brake to slow the truck.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Now that's customer service! Thanks Robert! I'll be checking out these settings again to see if there's something I missed.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I was secretly hoping he'd happen along...
Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Update : So, it's solved I had (probably foolishly) plugged the AUX cable into the open channel 1 slot originally. I had forgotten that I used a y-harness with my other truck before moving to the flysky radio, so I plugged the aux cable and speed servo to a y-harness and plugged that into channel 3 (the speed servo channel) and it works exactly as expected now.

Thanks for all the help and giving me some ideas.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

No instant reverse Mamba X + Trx-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak instant reverse fix? Erik D_lux Electronics 3 03-04-2011 01:07 AM
Super cheap esc with instant reverse???? oldhippie Electronics 7 08-28-2010 08:43 AM
mamba max reverse? ruck"n"roll Electronics 3 02-17-2008 10:24 PM
Looking for cheaper instant reverse ESC Skeeno Electronics 6 01-10-2008 04:01 AM