Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dual motor esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default dual motor esc

Need some critical thinking from you guys, nothing is set in stone so if you know better please speak up.

I am making a barge to carry a wraith sized vehicle.

Limitations 6ch fysky gt3/c hacked.

Money, doing it as cheap as I can, but doing it the right way, so Ill buy the right stuff as needed.

Things I want, dual 85t brushed motors, running at the same speed and directions(f/R) however they will be counter rotating. Steering will be handled with the rudder.

1 channel for throttle, 1 for steering, 1 to run a water pump. 3 channels available for throttle control ideas.

Do I want one dual motor esc and use the flysky to get them to run off the same throttle, or do I want two esc?

Anything you can suggest to make this a cool little project toss it out there and I will include it in the build.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: dual motor esc

Not an expert on this but I would go with 2 ESCs tied together through channel mixing on the radio. That way you could adjust the mix ratio of the channels to compensate for slight differences in motor speed.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure I understand why a dual motor ESC would operate differently than two separate ESCs? They both should still have an plug going to it's own channel to control each channel wouldn't it?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I'm not sure I understand why a dual motor ESC would operate differently than two separate ESCs? They both should still have an plug going to it's own channel to control each channel wouldn't it?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

One of the reason I am asking, since I never ran a MOA crawler I don't fully understand the whole two motor esc system.

Im looking for stupid simple, pull trigger boat goes forward, push boat goes backwards. If it is as simple as one esc on one channel with two power outputs so be it.

I have lots of options available, two motor slaved, or independent, I could build a counter rotating gear box and run one motor. No matter what I go with Ill figure it out and make it work, but considering the wealth on knowledge available here I would just assume ask and learn some of the pitfalls I might encounter.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

You could run two 85t off a HW 1080. Just put them both at 0 timing and reverse the wires on one.

That will be a sweet project. Theres quite a gathering in Oregon (Portland Model Power Boat Association). Its always neat to see what they are doing and get together twice a month usually. We will need some updates when you get this rolling, very cool.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

No need for dual escs at all. On a moa we run dual so we have independent control and because loads vary from front to back causing the rear to stall while climbing. Running a 1080 with the motors parallel is fine since the esc will only see a 42.5 turn load.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Two 85t brushed motors, in water? You could run them both off the same ESC just split the output with a Y. Seriously, ANY brushed ESC can turn two 85t motors in water. You'll run reverse polarity on one motor so just flip the timing over so that it spins the same speed as the motor running the correct polarity. Of course you'll need motors that you can adjust the timing on however.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Agree with above. Single ESC with both motors tied in to it. (y harness) Lighter weight on something that needs to float and will do exactly what you need it to do.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

These are fantastic responses, thank you all.

I had every intention of reversing the polarity on one to get counter rotating, and yes they are timable motors, which would have been set to zero anyway.

All right I have an inexpensive solution.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I run an air cooled EVX2 in my 30" boat, two 21t 550 cans on 14.4 no problems at all. Its wired for dual batteries and dual motors
Oxide80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm building a rescue tug using a pair of 550 brushed motors and I plan to run the HW 1080 with both motors tied into the motor leads. I asked this same question here a couple of weeks ago.

Can HW1080 drive two motors in parallel?

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

dual motor esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual motor 55T with Dual esc ae-5 mad crazy torque Shan Newton Axial SCX-10 24 05-09-2017 09:44 AM
C4WD OUTCRY CRAWLER DUAL MOTOR ESC Motor question Maliboost Electronics 2 03-02-2014 03:49 PM
Can any ESC work as a Dual Motor ESC? MRCCRAWLER1.9 Electronics 17 08-17-2010 04:10 PM
single motor esc or dual motor esc jwo Electronics 0 01-20-2010 11:42 PM