Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: The 10-Channel Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The 10-Channel Questions

My current TRX4 built is going to require a lot of channels. So far, meeting all of the needs and wants in the build, I am up to 10 channels, and I am looking for options to hitting that number...

Options...
1. Use my DX5R and DX5C. This will work, half of the functions I want to operate will only be operated when the truck is not moving, so switching radios is not that big of a deal. I have thought about using two receivers, but when you switch between two different models the servos tend to go back to neutral, which isn't desirable for this project.

2. Use one of my DX5s with a HEYOk 3-function remote (winch, 2 lights), and limit my channels to eight.

3. Get a 10-channel stick controller. This is a viable option, but I can't find any that are not configured for mode-2, and I would really prefer the left stick to center itself.

4. Hacked FlySky GT-3 with a HEYOk 3-function remote, bringing my channel count up to 11. This sounds good, but I have not seen great quality out of FlySky radios, but I might have to take a shot with one for this project. Plus, I would prefer to buy one that was already hacked with the extra controls already installed, but having problems locating them online. Sure, I could get a GT3 and do the hack myself, but I don't want it...

Thoughts, other options?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The 10-Channel Questions

Stick radio.

Any decent radio can be configured ether way by moving the gimbles and/or springs.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd also recommend stick. I have a Flysky FS-i6x, which can be used with a 10ch RX. The down side is 2 of the channels are stuck to the gimbals, but you re-wire them direct to 2 new switches or dials.

What are all the channels going to be used for? Can't you combine a few functions?
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I had a Spektrum DX6i. It's easy to get a kit to centre the stick if you want. I imagine other stick td's can be modded the same way.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

GreatScott, I think your answer is out there.

A radio dropped several years back in the RC Airplane/Multirotor world that shook up the whole industry: The FrSky Taranis X9D.

The Taranis is a completely customizable 16-channel radio capable of tasks never before seen (in 2012) and that came in at less than half the cost of anything else that even came close to its capabilities - 16 channels, voice alerts, haptic feedback, telemetry, knobs, sliders, and 3-pos switches...

And did I mention "complete" customization? The Taranis was built off the Open TX open-source software system. In a nutshell, Open TX makes other radio software just look dumb and simple. You can assign any switch to any channel via the menus, instead of rewiring - ex. set up your plane/truck to steer via your trim switches, if you wanted.

Furthermore, You can setup your radio to do anything. Anything. With individual menus for mixing, outputs, custom curves, global variables, logic switches, special functions, flight modes, custom voice scripts, and telemetry, whatever task you can dream up, be it a warning, failsafe, or routine operational task, you can find a way to do it automatically.

Another great feature with Open TX is the ability to setup the radio via the Open TX Companion software for your computer (Mac or PC). No more tedious thumbing through your radio menus to set up your radio.

But why are we really here? 16 channels. The Taranis comes available with the X8R 8/16 channel telemetry receiver. This RX has 8 servo ports, as well as one Serial Bus port enabling the use of an additional 8 channels - Use of S.Bus compatible servos, or a S.Bus decoder will enable the use of all 16 channels. Alternatively, one can use two X8R RXs together, making available 16 servo ports. And at around $30 a piece, that's not too painful. Plenty more RXs available for FrSky as well.

Telemetry comes stock on this system. With the Taranis X9D and X8R, RSSI is built in, and additional sensors can be bought to monitor other systems.

The hardware on the radio is really nice for the price point too - quad bearing gimbals, quality switches, and very easy to replace and modify, for example from Mode 2 to Mode 1. The aftermarket for super high quality gimbals and switches is there too, in addition to Hydrodipped cases and such. Often times cheaper radios feel cheap, toy-like. This radio felt similar in heft and quality to a Spektrum DX7, close to a DX8.

All of the above capability, and so so much more, at <$200, it's no wonder this radio has quite a following, and has had the impact that it did.

I trust ReadymadeRC.com and GetFPV.com for this stuff, though it appears to be mostly backordered currently. Hobbyking appears to have US Warehouse stock, though, also not a bad choice.

https://www.getfpv.com/frsky-2-4g-16...9-gimbals.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-2-...___store=en_us

Last edited by Pushjerk; 01-15-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Awesome, this gets me pointed in the right direction. I am still a ways off from needing the radio, still getting the hardware put together. I found a RadioLink 12-ch system that looks good, but I have no experience with the brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tra...et_feature_div
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have been having very good luck with the FS-i6X radio for controlling my RC tanks. It is easy to convert any of the 2 position switches to 3 position switches with just a bit of soldering, no programming required. Also it is very easy to open up and switch the modes by swapping cables for the gimbles (had to do this for my tank control board which is using S-Bus so I couldn't overcome just by swapping wires on the receiver). I was also able to get both sticks to center by installing springs, granted I used an old decommissioned re-branded Flysky stick radio (i'd imagine it would be fairly easy to get the hardware else were too, basically small springs). Best part is that it is only about 60 bucks and even 10 channel receivers are only 20 bucks. I also was looking at the RadioLink stick radios as well but couldn't pass up the price of the Flysky.

Just my two cents.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
My current TRX4 built is going to require a lot of channels. So far, meeting all of the needs and wants in the build, I am up to 10 channels, and I am looking for options to hitting that number...

Options...
1. Use my DX5R and DX5C. This will work, half of the functions I want to operate will only be operated when the truck is not moving, so switching radios is not that big of a deal. I have thought about using two receivers, but when you switch between two different models the servos tend to go back to neutral, which isn't desirable for this project.

2. Use one of my DX5s with a HEYOk 3-function remote (winch, 2 lights), and limit my channels to eight.

3. Get a 10-channel stick controller. This is a viable option, but I can't find any that are not configured for mode-2, and I would really prefer the left stick to center itself.

4. Hacked FlySky GT-3 with a HEYOk 3-function remote, bringing my channel count up to 11. This sounds good, but I have not seen great quality out of FlySky radios, but I might have to take a shot with one for this project. Plus, I would prefer to buy one that was already hacked with the extra controls already installed, but having problems locating them online. Sure, I could get a GT3 and do the hack myself, but I don't want it...

Thoughts, other options?
Flysky radios are not the pinnacle of quality, but i've sold thousands of hack kits and hundreds of radios and only a handful of people ever got back in touch with me about a radio bumming out. Usually it was a throttle pot or steering pot which you can find replacements on eBay. They get the job done and can do what no other pistol grip radio can. So worth a shot.

If you are not in a hurry, I have a couple GT3C's I need to get modded and sold before I shut down OverkillRC. Shoot me an email, losikid@overkillrc.com, and we can discuss the details. In your email, be sure to include info on all 10 channels that you need. The new firmware can only do 8, but I can make sure you can use all 8 and if I have any ideas to combine stuff.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote

The 10-Channel Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 receiver channel questions Levi Traxxas TRX-4 1 11-08-2017 07:37 PM
Third channel led lights switch & other newbie questions devuser Axial SCX-10 1 06-14-2016 11:13 AM
Questions about 4 Channel radios Badassaxial Axial SCX-10 4 01-20-2011 07:06 PM
homemade c channel chassis questions. thecrusader Newbie General 8 08-17-2009 05:18 PM
TQ4 NEW RADIO 4 channel Pistol Questions toy4crawlin Electronics 6 06-12-2009 02:50 PM