Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX4C lost its mind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Spektrum DX4C lost its mind

Had a weird experience with my DX4C. I had run one of my newer RCs a time or two with no issues. Last time out I got about 2 minutes in and all of a sudden I had only about 10 degrees steering travel, right and left. Did a couple of reasonably easy checks of the RC and the radio and couldn't see anything unusual so that ended the outing. Throttle worked as it should, forward and reverse.

Should mention I had just put a new steering servo in so started looking at that when I got back home. Checked all the settings for that channel on the radio. I keep a record of my settings for each channel and everything was as I had initially set it up. Hooked the servo up to a different radio and receiver and the servo had full travel, right and left. Hooked the servo back up to the original receiver and the DX4C and still the same problem. Had a spare receiver bound to a different channel so tested that. Again full servo travel so started thinking it must be the receiver. Bound the spare receiver to the channel with the problem and still only about 10 degrees steering right and left.

After playing around for about 2 hours, I was ready to just assign a new channel for the RC. I don't know what made me think of it but as a last ditch effort, I decided maybe a "Reset" of the channel might help. Did the "Reset", did a bind to the original receiver, and re-entered all the parameters in to that channel exactly as they were originally. "Bingo", steering and everything else worked as it should.

With 5 inches of snow on the ground now could only do a test driving around the basement. Seems to be fine so I'll have to see what happens on a longer run on the trail when the snow disappears.

So, after my long winded story here, has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas of what happened? Just realized the only thing I haven't done is test a couple of other RCs to see if this is only 1 channel with the problem or if others are having the same issue.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum DX4C lost its mind

Sounds like you activated dual rate, which limits servo throw on the steering. Not sure where exactly it is on the radio - most of the time there's a button that turns it on and off.

Edit - dual rate looks to be button D by default.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-27-2019 at 07:26 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Sounds like you activated dual rate, which limits servo throw on the steering. Not sure where exactly it is on the radio - most of the time there's a button that turns it on and off.

Edit - dual rate looks to be button D by default.
Thanks. Sounds reasonable but have no idea how I would have hit the switch except by accident. Might have to play around with it and see if I can duplicate the original problem. Haven't used the steering dual rate so may not need it for what I do crawling and trailing, so, if it happens again may have to inhibit that switch.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Did you set up the endpoints for the new steering servo after change? Dual rate as mentined could also cause the limited travel as well.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Can't believe its over a month since I posted this. Had a chance today to test OSRC's suggestion that I had adjusted the "steering rate" (button D) somehow. Bingo! Adjusting the steering rate down from 100% to about 50% duplicated exactly what I was seeing. As I originally mention when this was suggested by OSRC I can only guess I somehow hit the "D" button and wasn't even aware I had done that. Thanks again OSRC and I'll keep this in the back of my mind in case this occurs again.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:45 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Just caught up with this. Did exactly the same lasr winter! Cold hands, gloves etc, just 15min into the day. Went home and found what I'd done....not done it since!
M and M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I had that happen on a dx4s a while back. The kicker is dual rate wasn't enabled.

I went to a play date and it was fine at first. Ran a pack and plugged in another and had 50% steering. Figured fuggit and lived with it. Ran that pack out and plugged in another and the radio had lost its bind to the receiver. When I got home I re-bound it and went into the settings and assigned a button to turn the dual rate up and disabled it again. It has been fine since.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bougti View Post
It's not the "cheater" receivers that are the problem. It is every telemetry receiver, every marine receiver, and every clone receiver. I gave away my dsm2 receivers and I would have returned the radio if I wasn't having so much fun with the AVC system.
[LIST]
9Apps VidMate https://get-cartoonhd.com

Exactly

Last edited by seoking; 03-30-2019 at 05:43 PM.
seoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #9

I have the dx4c with dsmr but i was told its not been updated so should work older rxs. I have an sr300 to try just haven't yet lol. I like the radio. But my kids flysky gt2b has impressed me at £20 3ch and rechargeable battery. But most of all i tried the gt2b with savox servo one time and the servo operated silently until given input. 0 servo chatter. Its always tripped me since like is the gt2b more precise than my dx4c thats noisey with savox servos. I just wish flysky made good looking radios like spectrum. Im tempted to sell and get a traxxas tx for the gps modual stuff. Or the spectrum dx2e with speedo bolt on. But will probably keep the dx4c awhile.
barryallen1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryallen1337 View Post
I have the dx4c with dsmr but i was told its not been updated so should work older rxs. I have an sr300 to try just haven't yet lol. I like the radio. But my kids flysky gt2b has impressed me at £20 3ch and rechargeable battery. But most of all i tried the gt2b with savox servo one time and the servo operated silently until given input. 0 servo chatter. Its always tripped me since like is the gt2b more precise than my dx4c thats noisey with savox servos. I just wish flysky made good looking radios like spectrum. Im tempted to sell and get a traxxas tx for the gps modual stuff. Or the spectrum dx2e with speedo bolt on. But will probably keep the dx4c awhile.
DX4c will only bind to DSMR rx - so the SR310, 315, 410, 415 srs4210, 4215 etc. DX4S - originally would bind to DSM/DSM2 rx - the Sr300's etc but importantly the 'knock off' Orange RX. - however Spektrum (prob to protect IP/ profits) updated the firmware so the dsm/dsm2 functionality was lost. Any DX4S with AVC will almost certainly not work with dsm/dsm2. Therefore older DX4S's that work with both types of RX tend to sell quicker / fetch a small premium used.

Spektrum kindly (lol) gifted me a single Sr410 DSMR receiver once upon a time as I bough a DX4S as the change went through and their site still listed DSM/DSM2 compatability - and i'd quite a few SR301's (and orange Rx's) from the Dx3S. McDVOICE MyBKExperience
pinknemo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknemo13 View Post
DX4c will only bind to DSMR rx - so the SR310, 315, 410, 415 srs4210, 4215 etc. DX4S - originally would bind to DSM/DSM2 rx - the Sr300's etc but importantly the 'knock off' Orange RX. - however Spektrum (prob to protect IP/ profits) updated the firmware so the dsm/dsm2 functionality was lost. Any DX4S with AVC will almost certainly not work with dsm/dsm2. Therefore older DX4S's that work with both types of RX tend to sell quicker / fetch a small premium used.

Spektrum kindly (lol) gifted me a single Sr410 DSMR receiver once upon a time as I bough a DX4S as the change went through and their site still listed DSM/DSM2 compatability - and i'd quite a few SR301's (and orange Rx's) from the Dx3S. McDVOICE MyBKExperience
I can't see why they'd do this. The DSM2 RXs still work fine in the DX5/6 series radios, the DX4C is older technology. All current documentation says that the radio still supports DSM2.

DSM2 is harder to bind, and often times you have to reduce the resolution to get it to bind.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Spektrum DX4C lost its mind - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've lost reverse Dx4c PCK_4xCustoms Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 07-09-2016 05:59 PM
I'm Lost!! ( can't make up my freaking mind) jlatuala Newbie General 15 11-24-2015 09:04 PM
Spektrum dx4c help!!! JDBuilt Electronics 0 11-24-2014 07:37 PM
That's it! The German's have lost their mind Creepy Inc. Chit Chat 23 10-01-2012 07:57 AM
6000 mAh!!! $30!!! Have I lost my mind??? Kamikaze Electronics 48 12-30-2007 04:34 PM