Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New Holmes motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 01:09 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New Holmes motor?

Im not sure if most have seen, but there is a great new price drop on Holmes Puller series.

I was picking up a few and noticed a new (to me) Puller Pro 4274 1/8 scale motor on his site. Has it been around and has someone used one in a serious U4 rig yet? Id like some insight. I was going to grab one but my Pro XL rigs have plenty of snot, so wondering if its worthy upgrade. I might just grab one for stock as I couldnt find a video or anything about it.

LINK: https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...ess-motor.html
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

Default Re: New Holmes motor?

I can't believe how much the price dropped on the Puller motors! I paid $139.99 for my Puller Pro 3500kv. The new price is over 30% off! Crazy, but I guess that's to stay competitive.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I can't believe how much the price dropped on the Puller motors! I paid $139.99 for my Puller Pro 3500kv. The new price is over 30% off! Crazy, but I guess that's to stay competitive.
Yeah JRH had said that they weren't selling very well, so he was going to try lowering the price to see if they'd sell better. I plan on ordering a few motors in a couple weeks once I get a few things figured out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I just ordered the puller pro 3500 i have been wanting to get..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I do believe the 1/8th scale motor was just recently released.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I really want to try this motor in my kraton. If it performs like his puller pro motors do in my crawlers....look out tekin. If John would send me one, I would put it through it's paces and write up a review. I'll put that kraton in the sky and run it hard. My problem has been that the standard truggy sized motors can't handle the heat.

To get the heat down I have to either gear way lower than I want or goto hobbystars massive 4092 motor. I just don't want a Chinese company's motor. I would love to either get some info or provide it. I just can't justify that price point right now giving the unknown.

I already have a tekin T8 4038 gen3 1550kv truggy motor. It's just not enough. It has plenty of power, but it will heat up when it's hot out. I need at least 50mph gearing to get the air I want.

My kraton will finally have a chassis that will handle the abuse I'm giving it. The stock one looks like spaghetti. I ordered the new M2C racing chassis and all of Voltage Hobbies parts. Now I just need to sort out the power.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I did lower the Puller 540s prices to be more price competitive. Sales had slowed quite a bit after Castle released the Slate, so it was either sit on my hands or do something about it. They blew out pricing expectations in the market and it will not be recovering. I don't have the volume or go so low dollar on magnets, I can't equally compete on price, but every person who has driven both says the Puller Stubby is a better driving motor and the Standard is worlds above in power.

The 4274s we spun out of the work I've done on the 540 Puller Pros, aimed and tested specifically in a racing environment. Although the "smooth" variant works reaaaaaly well in a crawler. We tested them in u4 and truggy/buggy racing. Since I'm quite keen on tuning a motor for "feel", I felt the two variations were needed to really give drivers what they want. Both run very efficiently, cooler than a hobbywing I know. Whether or not it will hold up to a 9lb plus Kraton geared 50 plus, I don't know. The Punchy build does run cooler in heavier rigs, it has a slight edge on efficiency as the amps increase.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 02-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote