Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo electronics as lights on/off switch control issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Servo electronics as lights on/off switch control issues

I've seen info and youtube stuff on making an on/off light controller from a servo electronics board so decided to have a go at one for a project I'm working on.

Bought a cheap, cheap, micro servo on line to get started, no name, no specs, nothing, price was right in my mind at $5. First thing I did was test it as is. Worked as it should on 5V and 6V so figured that was half the battle. Took it apart and tested it again with just the board and the motor. Still okay. Found the "Off" centered position of the potentiometer and glued it in the "Off" position. Once the glue was set, tested again by plugging in to the steering servo port of a receiver and the motor was still off with no steering input. Motor turned one way with right steering input and the other way with left steering input. I'm using a Spektrum DX4C so set the "D" switch to 2 position on "Aux 1". Tested again using the transmitter and still worked the way I figured it should. Removed the motor, added a connector to the motor leads and plugged in a light set with 10 LEDs. Lights "on" and "off" using the transmitter switch. All is good, or so I thought.

Now the issue I have. Discovered that after 9 seconds, the lights go "off". I turn the "D" switch "off" and then back "on". The lights come "on" for 9 more seconds and then turn "off". I can repeat this process continuously and the result is always the same.

Plugged the servo board back in to the steering port and tested that way. Same thing, comes "on" for 9 seconds and the shuts "off". Everything repeats exactly as it does using the "D" switch and "Aux 1".

Tried plugging in just 2 LEDs. Same again. Didn't think 10 LEDs would draw more than the servo motor did but just had to check. You never know . . . . .

Probably spent 2 hours playing with settings, different connections, different lights, and nothing has changed, 9 seconds "on" and then "off".

So, has anyone got any idea what is happening here? Am I missing something simple? Did I miss something when doing the mods to the servo board? Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this one.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servo electronics as lights on/off switch control issues

I do believe some servos are designed with the "feature" of switching off the motor after a certain amount of time (to keep from selfdestructing). Judging by the constant time (9s) until it switches off it could be that.

Last edited by Ninomaniac; 02-26-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
I've seen info and youtube stuff on making an on/off light controller from a servo electronics board so decided to have a go at one for a project I'm working on.

Bought a cheap, cheap, micro servo on line to get started, no name, no specs, nothing, price was right in my mind at $5. First thing I did was test it as is. Worked as it should on 5V and 6V so figured that was half the battle. Took it apart and tested it again with just the board and the motor. Still okay. Found the "Off" centered position of the potentiometer and glued it in the "Off" position. Once the glue was set, tested again by plugging in to the steering servo port of a receiver and the motor was still off with no steering input. Motor turned one way with right steering input and the other way with left steering input. I'm using a Spektrum DX4C so set the "D" switch to 2 position on "Aux 1". Tested again using the transmitter and still worked the way I figured it should. Removed the motor, added a connector to the motor leads and plugged in a light set with 10 LEDs. Lights "on" and "off" using the transmitter switch. All is good, or so I thought.

Now the issue I have. Discovered that after 9 seconds, the lights go "off". I turn the "D" switch "off" and then back "on". The lights come "on" for 9 more seconds and then turn "off". I can repeat this process continuously and the result is always the same.

Plugged the servo board back in to the steering port and tested that way. Same thing, comes "on" for 9 seconds and the shuts "off". Everything repeats exactly as it does using the "D" switch and "Aux 1".

Tried plugging in just 2 LEDs. Same again. Didn't think 10 LEDs would draw more than the servo motor did but just had to check. You never know . . . . .

Probably spent 2 hours playing with settings, different connections, different lights, and nothing has changed, 9 seconds "on" and then "off".

So, has anyone got any idea what is happening here? Am I missing something simple? Did I miss something when doing the mods to the servo board? Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this one.

That happened to me! I glued my pedo not completely centered (it wasn’t moving I thought) and my lights would do that or flicker then go off.

Try again with another servo. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #4

Why not just get a switch that's designed for this type of function instead of screwing around with servos? It's only a couple bucks more than the servo that you're fooling with, and it can switch any power source via an aux channel in your receiver:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-switch-1.html

If your lights can run off receiver power, then you can use this type of switch, which is even easier to hook up, and it's the same price as your servo:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-t...ff-switch.html
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Why not just get a switch that's designed for this type of function instead of screwing around with servos? It's only a couple bucks more than the servo that you're fooling with, and it can switch any power source via an aux channel in your receiver:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-switch-1.html

If your lights can run off receiver power, then you can use this type of switch, which is even easier to hook up, and it's the same price as your servo:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-t...ff-switch.html

I literally spend $.97 each shipped to my door, 6v micro servo to handle my LED needs.

Why, built not bought............

But certianly you post a great option for someone that doesn't want to do anything past plug and play.

To the OP, put a meter to it, its amazing what you can learn with the right tools.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I literally spend $.97 each shipped to my door, 6v micro servo to handle my LED needs.

Why, built not bought............

But certianly you post a great option for someone that doesn't want to do anything past plug and play.

To the OP, put a meter to it, its amazing what you can learn with the right tools.
I'm all for the DIY approach, but when the OP is paying the same amount for a DIY option that he can't even get to work, it starts to make a lot less sense. Sometimes being a good Engineer means knowing when to use the readily available approach instead of taking the hard road, no matter how satisfying it may be.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their replies and info.

Ninomaniac - I'm pretty sure you're right on about the timed shutoff. Used a different servo, rated a little more torque, not a micro, and everything works great now.

Jim85IROC - Thanks for the link and I'll keep it in mind for the future. This was really one of those " I've heard and seen info on a servo board used as a control switch" so just had to try and see if I could make it work. It may be I went too cheap on the servo and it bit me in the a*s. Oh well, had to keep trying.

Ditchrat - built, not bought . . I think I may have more fun playing around with this kind of stuff than actually driving the little buggers. Many things I can't do but if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll give it a try. By the way, what servo are you using? At $0.97 I'd be all over that just as another experiment to see if I can make that work.

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Imnhaving issues coping annebay link with my phone, search micro servo, sort by price and scroll till you get a translucent blue case.

Fyi unsoldering the wires can be a pain, its easier to melt the pot in place. But the you dont get the tiny package, still small but not super small.

When we are at it another fun thing is to install a photo diode and let the lights go on and off on thier own, just like a modern car.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 02-27-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Imnhaving issues coping annebay link with my phone, search micro servo, sort by price and scroll till you get a translucent blue case.

Fyi unsoldering the wires can be a pain, its easier to melt the pot in place. But the you dont get the tiny package, still small but not super small.

When we are at it another fun thing is to install a photo diode and let the lights go on and off on thier own, just like a modern car.
Think I've got it. "Cheer Wing Micro Servo, 9G, SG90". As you say, $0.99 each, free shipping. Seller is us_dealforyou. Weird though, 1 is $0.99 but package of 3 is $6.99, package of 5 is $9.99. Looks like if you order multiples you're paying $2.00+ each. I'm thinking I'll try doing "add 1 to cart", then another add 1 to cart, etc. and see if they all stay at the $0.99.

Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I just bought a cheap light controler on ebay for under $5 the controler fits nicely with my bec and winch controler all wraped up in a nice tight package

But this is a cool idea if you had a servo with a bad motor and a good controler
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I just bought a cheap light controler on ebay for under $5 the controler fits nicely with my bec and winch controler all wraped up in a nice tight package

But this is a cool idea if you had a servo with a bad motor and a good controler

I have several models of them. Each one does all types of flashes, left bilnk, right blink ect, then after you cyle through all that steady on.

Have you found one that is just on off?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ya i think its called a reciver controled on off switch not a light controler
Old 02-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Heres one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Lamp-Li...729?nav=SEARCH
Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No info on voltage. Do you know if it will run on 6V? It should as a lot of ESCs are now 6V output to the receiver. Is Axial AE-5 the only ESC left with a 5V BEC?

By the way, that price is only if you order from China. 3 to 7 week delivery. North America sellers are up above $6.00 each with a couple of them offering 10% discount for multiple item purchase. Found one seller at $5.60 each if you buy 4 or more, free shipping, 1 to 2 weeks delivery.

Thanks for the link though. Always happy to have a bunch of options available.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 02-28-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
No info on voltage. Do you know if it will run on 6V? It should as a lot of ESCs are now 6V output to the receiver. Is Axial AE-5 the only ESC left with a 5V BEC?

By the way, that price is only if you order from China. 3 to 7 week delivery. North America sellers are up above $6.00 each with a couple of them offering 10% discount for multiple item purchase. Found one seller at $5.60 each if you buy 4 or more, free shipping, 1 to 2 weeks delivery.

Thanks for the link though. Always happy to have a bunch of options available.

Well the AE-5 just received meters out at 6.8v, needless to say it blew LED's.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:

That looks like the crazy blinking one
Old 03-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Since you posted this thread I have been looking into this. I found that if you remove the pot and install 2- 2.2k ohm resistors on the outer poles and a center wire in the middle and connect all three together. Bam! No worries of pot ever messing up. I will be doing this once I can get some resistors. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Since you posted this thread I have been looking into this. I found that if you remove the pot and install 2- 2.2k ohm resistors on the outer poles and a center wire in the middle and connect all three together. Bam! No worries of pot ever messing up. I will be doing this once I can get some resistors. Good luck!
Yup, saw that when I was researching this and couldn't get any locally here so decided to do the "lock the pot in position" thing. With the resistors I have on hand I would have had to gang 10 of them together to get up to 2K. No way that was going to happen. I was impatient to get this going and actually forgot about the resistor thing. Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to order some resistors for my next attempt at this. Sounds like the best way to go.

By the way, can one of you electronics guys tell me which is better, carbon film or metal film? Thanks.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 03-03-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Servo electronics as lights on/off switch control issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savox 1256tg servo issues. Winch in/out, lights flicker ?? Hoosierdady Electronics 3 04-26-2014 04:13 PM
control lights from channel 3 poomwah Electronics 4 03-08-2013 01:58 PM
Park Lights, Head Lights switch heyok Vendors Electronics 0 07-02-2012 10:56 AM
Toggle Switch Control Question Tupers Electronics 1 05-12-2009 10:36 PM
Can I use channel 3 to control two switch? Froger Electronics 9 12-11-2008 01:32 PM