Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes hobbies revolver sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holmes hobbies revolver sound

Hi all,

I've been wanting to try out an outrunner motor in a crawler for a little while. I have seen quite a few videos about the revolver but the whining noise does bother me. I had a couple of questions. Is this noise from the windings or mechanical? Can this noise be tuned out by using a different pwm frequency?
Alka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Holmes hobbies revolver sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka View Post
Hi all,

I've been wanting to try out a outrunner motor in a crawler for a little while. I have seen quite a few videos about the revolver but the whining noise does bother me. I had a couple of questions. Is this noise from the windings or mechanical? Can this noise be tuned out by using a different pwm frequency?
The motor is a "speaker" for the ESC. Yes, you should be able to reduce the noise if you can adjust the PWM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I feel like the sound is likely from the motor being so open that it just lets the brushless noise out, but that just my guess. all outrunners have this particular noise.

I've got one as does a friend and I try to use it at certain times of day avoiding late night and I also avoid running at the same time as my friend as it gets to be a bit much with 2 running. Thats not to say its terrible, videos seems to pick up the noise more than in person but I will say as you go faster the noise gets closer to a normal motor and it only does its sci fi sound effects at lower RPM range and it especially pronounced when you crawl super slow or give the throttle a blip.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:10 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the response .. I was hoping that the videos made it sound worse than it was IRL. Not all outrunners make noise like this so I was hoping to mess with pwm to try and tune it out. Whether I have to use a variable frequency dependant on the motor rpm that can be done too! I have been working on firmware that turns a regular cheap quad ESC into something suitable for a crawler. I only have a 3650 four pole to test so far and have gotten pretty slow commutation.. I really want to try it on a nice motor.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Holmes has an ESC with a "silent mode" that adjusts the frequency

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #6

You're never going to make the motor quiet. Checkout Holmes videos. Even he doesn't have them running silent and he tunes his ESCs to specifically be as quiet as possible.

https://youtu.be/VCuSbBoJ_sg
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Mine's not bad at all during running and hard acceleration. It does "whine" quite a bit on trailing throttle and drag brake. I like it actually.. I do have another larger outrunner and it's exactly the same though a bit lower pitch.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've grown to enjoy the "Martian Moon buggy" sounds that emanate from my Revolver... ��
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You're never going to make the motor quiet. Checkout Holmes videos. Even he doesn't have them running silent and he tunes his ESCs to specifically be as quiet as possible.

https://youtu.be/VCuSbBoJ_sg
I have seen Holmes talk about his preference for quieter rigs. He has made a near silent servo and all of his esc"s can be tuned for quieter running. Yet he still has the revolver as one of his favorite motors.

To me this says a lot to the performance of the motor and how easy you can tune out the sound. Or maybee he is getting old and can't hear the high pitches any more :P

I think if you pair this with a SW4 you cand get some great bang for the buck.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-02-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I have seen Holmes talk about his preference for quieter rigs. He has made a near silent servo and all of his esc"s can be tuned for quieter running. Yet he still has the revolver as one of his favorite motors.

To me this says a lot to the performance of the motor and how easy you can tune out the sound. Or maybee he is getting old and can't hear the high pitches any more :P
"old"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:

HUH? I can't hear you!

I have one waiting to go in my TRX-4 Sport kit when they are released. Not sure if it'll get an SV4 or Mamba X ESC. Probably the Mamba X because the Auxiliary Wire is bad ass.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-02-2019 at 10:26 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Does Holmes make his own brushless esc? I did not see on on his site. Sw4 is still many times the cost of a cheap quadcopter ESC..
Old 03-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Friends with revolvers, do not get rail run invites anymore.

The pitch of those things spoil the outdoor experience.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Friends with revolvers, do not get rail run invites anymore.

The pitch of those things spoil the outdoor experience.
This is also something to consider. Just because the dound dosent bother you. Dosent mean it won't bother other people.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I've got to agree with most of what has been said here. I've only been running my revolver for a week or so, but I generally run through a 2200 3s or 2 a day in my backyard. I'd say that as the speed goes up, the noise goes down, but if the throttle increases without a speed increase (high load) it gets noisy. Real noisy. Considering that my backyard course is almost entirely technical crawling, that high load, high pitch shriek is happening very regularly. I described it in another thread as the dying shriek of a small mammal!

Now, I knew what I was getting into when I ordered this motor, but out of consideration for my neighbors, I haven't been running at night. Out in open spaces, it isn't as much of an annoyance, but it will still draw attention. My son suggested building a box around it that could be lined with sound deadener, in an effort to reduce the high frequency sound waves... he's 8! I'm tempted to stuff some ear plugs in the holes of the can to see if it makes any difference, if so, I have a more permanent idea up my sleeve.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

So is this something to do with revolver's construction? Or is this the esc's using a really low pwm rate to start up ? Or both? It sounds like 8-12 khz whine which drives me crazy, I really can't handle that frequency it, even at a distance.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka View Post
So is this something to do with revolver's construction? Or is this the esc's using a really low pwm rate to start up ? Or both? It sounds like 8-12 khz whine which drives me crazy, I really can't handle that frequency it, even at a distance.
Most of the motors make the same noise, but the revolver is just much better at it then other motors. It is just amplified is all. I believe it is because the winding are on the can instead of the Com. But im not super familiar with brushless design to know. But yes it's the design. It's an out runner thing.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Most of the motors make the same noise, but the revolver is just much better at it then other motors. It is just amplified is all. I believe it is because the winding are on the can instead of the Com. But im not super familiar with brushless design to know. But yes it's the design. It's an out runner thing.
Maybe because of how little noise inrunners make the ESC manufacturers have been using pwm down in the audible range. I understand the revolver is producing more volume from it's coils but can the frequency at least be jacked up to where only my dog can hear it?
Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If you aren't prepared for the sound, then don't buy one...

I run mine mostly at a within-the-city-limits mountain biking park, and the clacking sound of their rear hub engagement pawls can be heard from much further away!

It's funny how the more expensive the wheelset is on those MTBs, the louder they clack.

I guess it's their version of some Harley riders "loud pipes save lives" thing!

My MTB's mid-grade Shimano hubs are nice and silent...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I am not prepared for the sound.. that's why I want to fix it! It's a nice motor, it sucks if people are being turned away because of a choice of drive frequency.

Last edited by Alka; 03-02-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Holmes hobbies revolver sound - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies RevolveR 2 Givaway! JohnRobHolmes Electronics 99 12-25-2006 11:09 PM