RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Open source ESC and firmware (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/607034-open-source-esc-firmware.html)

Voodoobrew 09-22-2020 07:52 PM

Re: Open source ESC and firmware

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 6045302)
The hardware is certainly the limiter on closed loop startup routines. The open loop stepping can run slower than what this esc will handle closed loop, but open loop will start skipping steps under load unless its perfectly tuned to the motor and has some amp feedback. I'm gonna cheat and add sensor input on my hardware

Is this a different sensor input then a sensored motor or a comparator?

Voodoobrew 10-06-2020 01:31 AM

Ok so I have 2 Tutorials to share on this. I made one specifically for the Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC and the other was translated from Chinese and might work on other esc's but I think its more for quadcopters.
I believe my tutorial is pretty straight forward, and everything you need to know is there, with out having to guess at all. Please let us know how it goes or if I need to add more information. Or if you encountered problems.

Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC

Not My Tutorial

stimpy 10-06-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 6047462)
Ok so I have 2 Tutorials to share on this. I made one specifically for the Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC and the other was translated from Chinese and might work on other esc's but I think its more for quadcopters.
I believe my tutorial is pretty straight forward, and everything you need to know is there, with out having to guess at all. Please let us know how it goes or if I need to add more information. Or if you encountered problems.

Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC

Not My Tutorial

Not loading for me in the UK currently... Could be bandwidth mind ( Wraith version).

Voodoobrew 10-09-2020 03:55 PM

I don't know, i tested it on my phone with a different email and it opened, but i also have the link email on the phone too. Its not a large file.

themountain 10-16-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alka (Post 6039660)
Hey thanks, guys, I still work on this stuff all the time.
The firmware has some flaws still, its not going to work perfectly on all motors, there are limits of what can be done with this type of hardware but for some of the HH revolvers it works very well. I use a 1000kv and 1400kv in a couple of my rigs. I am not sure what type of performance you will get with the stubby revolver.
As far as i am concerned this is only the beginning ! Lots of new things on the horizon too.

Any news on this awesome project? :)

Voodoobrew 10-18-2020 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 6048883)
Any news on this awesome project? :)

Currently I know it can be setup in an airbot wraith32 35A esc, they cost about $15, and you need a St-link programmer, which is about $6 to erase and do the initial programming. After that you can get the code and modify it from https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...r-ESC-firmware but there is no tutorial for that. AlkaM is tweaking things here and there. I have posted some videos of it on my youtube as well https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9...sj1N_UQ/videos
There is a configurator, to do some tweaks kinda like castle link software, but for the most part its not for programming crawlers instead its for quads.

gvngoheavy 10-18-2020 01:42 PM

SO - My query is, could I piggyback a trinket or similar micro/nano arduino onto the fpv single esc for additional functionality and maybe easier programming/tweaking? They have bluetooth variants so tweaking through an app could become a possibility down the road. On a simpler level Im thinking about things like aux channel drag brake % tweaking or even throttle responsive led lighting.

Im just dipping my toes in here so apologies for relatively naive wonderings. I grew up dicking around with rc and programming and am recently recovering from a serious fpv quad addiction. So I have a little bit of a basis to go off of for all this, but am still wading into unknown waters.

Im absolutely stoked to see this kind of development happening. Ive been dreaming of an opentx style sbus radio and esc/driveunit offering for surface rc ever since I started getting in to fpv quads. Also something not so stupidly overpriced.

themountain 10-19-2020 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 6049072)
There is a configurator, to do some tweaks kinda like castle link software, but for the most part its not for programming crawlers instead its for quads.

Thanks , man!...I went through all your links and , honestly, too much tinkering for me :lmao: I hope someone (HH,Castle, etc.) comes out with a plug and play solution in the future .

Voodoobrew 10-22-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvngoheavy (Post 6049109)
SO - My query is, could I piggyback a trinket or similar micro/nano arduino onto the fpv single esc for additional functionality and maybe easier programming/tweaking? They have bluetooth variants so tweaking through an app could become a possibility down the road. On a simpler level Im thinking about things like aux channel drag brake % tweaking or even throttle responsive led lighting.

Im just dipping my toes in here so apologies for relatively naive wonderings. I grew up dicking around with rc and programming and am recently recovering from a serious fpv quad addiction. So I have a little bit of a basis to go off of for all this, but am still wading into unknown waters.

Im absolutely stoked to see this kind of development happening. Ive been dreaming of an opentx style sbus radio and esc/driveunit offering for surface rc ever since I started getting in to fpv quads. Also something not so stupidly overpriced.

This is just an ESC, the camera conects to a seperate flight controller. Cant you get a stand alone camera. Kevin talbot on YouTube put one in a micro crawler. I would check that video for what to get. https://youtu.be/KzO48TTUBFU

As far as an arduino, that i would also conect directly to the reciever. Unles you want to use the telemetry from the esc.

gvngoheavy 10-23-2020 10:31 PM

Well aware this is only an ESC. I just designated "FPV single ESC" to be specific that I was talking about a setup that used this specific kind of esc.

Im interested in the idea of being able to adjust things like drag brake % on the fly through a third channel on the radio. The Castle esc's have this functionality and it would be nice to be able to adjust the drag brake when taking a truck on a longer trail walk/run.

Adding a Trinket could also provide an LED uart rx for addressable LEDs around the truck. If this was available you could turn lights on/off through a fourth channel, and you could have the brake lights respond to throttle position.

I just got 2 wraith32 esc's and an st link so ill start digging my toes in once I get a sec.

themountain 10-31-2020 02:07 PM

something is happening !!"thumbsup"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p2pVkzBhmg

JohnRobHolmes 12-03-2020 08:44 PM

Its going still, just a tough project on many levels. I'm working hardware for our needs, alka is still massaging software, and I've got Jonathan going on a programming interface.

So far its looking good. I managed to develop a few motors with better tuned bemf that works better with the sensorless wave table. Luckily just had a ton of protos laying around to choose from, I like to make a range of magnet shapes for testing.

Voodoobrew 12-11-2020 01:53 PM

Ok so I have some new firmware for the Wraith32 35a if any one is interested or has made one of there own already. It loads the same as before, I have it listed as ver3.0 and it gets rid of the heat issues from the previous version.

You can download the firmware and the instructions from https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...cL?usp=sharing

JC3 03-04-2021 06:41 PM

This is amazing! Well done guys and thanks for sharing. I've got two Wraith's and a ST-Link on order and will give it a try.

SloRollSolo 03-25-2021 08:41 AM

Can this firmware be loaded from bl heli 32 suite configurator with a flight controller pass through?

Voodoobrew 03-29-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloRollSolo (Post 6074776)
Can this firmware be loaded from bl heli 32 suite configurator with a flight controller pass through?

no you need to use a ST-Link and install a different bootloader through the swd and SWC pads.

Then you can never use blheli or their configuration tool on it again.

But after that you use a similar tool and program it via the servo wire like blheli.

Voodoobrew 03-29-2021 02:03 PM

It probably would be possible if blheli allowed you to flash 3rd party firmware, but they don't, nobody really does, because that makes it super easy to damage hardware.

TK421 04-19-2021 01:29 PM

This is an awesome project! I personally LOVE the sound of my revolver. I just want a 4s ESC... will this firmware work on any BLHELI32 esc?

Lou

Voodoobrew 04-20-2021 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK421 (Post 6077808)
This is an awesome project! I personally LOVE the sound of my revolver. I just want a 4s ESC... will this firmware work on any BLHELI32 esc?

Lou

probably, what esc is it?

TK421 04-20-2021 05:47 AM

I don't have one in mind but I know there are loads of drone ESC's that should fit the bill...

Lou

Voodoobrew 04-23-2021 04:06 AM

The firmware should work on any blheli32 esc that has a ST on the chip. the G-arm one probably wont work as easily.

Pagu 05-19-2021 06:21 AM

Hello!
I am newb in blheli esc and trying to figure out how to do it.
Could you please help me or redirect to description or video for beginners? Im going to try configure esc for crawler.

1) Hardware:
I have st-link, RacerStar Tattoo 30A (not delivered yet), 360kv outrunner, UBEC to power servos and receiver.
What additional hardware do i need? As i understand, i need Racerstar StarF4S or usb serial adapter to install the firmware. I suppose adapter is better for me as i am not going to deal with quad-copters.
What is usb serial adapter? How can i choose right one? Could you give a link to aliexpress, for example?
I found "TZT CH340 Module USB to Serial Port for arduino","USB to serial port module CP2102" 5 pins out (5v/3v3/txd/rxd/gnd). "Silabs blheli usb adapter" 3 pins out (s/ /gnd).
What does mean modified for one wire?
Also i found tutorials how to connect blheli esc using arduino Nano. Does it work with ESC_Config_Tool?

2) Steps:
a) Choose right bootloader and firmware or i will brick esc. https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...orted-Hardware found RacerStar Tatoo 8A, so i guess i need PA2 bootloader and SISKIN_1.65.bin
firmware.
b) Connect ST-Link and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.
c) Using STM32CubeProgrammer erase esc memory and install bootloader.
d) Connect StarF4S/usb serial adapter(???) and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.
e) Using ESC_Config_Tool_1_68 install fimware.
What did i miss?

UPD
I found scheme how to connect 5 pin usb adapter to blheli. So i guess 5-pin, 3-pin adapters and arduino nano all are useable
https://sun9-14.userapi.com/impg/WP1...d10&type=album

Voodoobrew 07-18-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagu (Post 6081654)
Hello!

I am newb in blheli esc and trying to figure out how to do it.

Could you please help me or redirect to description or video for beginners? Im going to try configure esc for crawler.

1) Hardware:

I have st-link, RacerStar Tattoo 30A (not delivered yet), 360kv outrunner, UBEC to power servos and receiver.

What additional hardware do i need? As i understand, i need Racerstar StarF4S or usb serial adapter to install the firmware. I suppose adapter is better for me as i am not going to deal with quad-copters.

What is usb serial adapter? How can i choose right one? Could you give a link to aliexpress, for example?

I found "TZT CH340 Module USB to Serial Port for arduino","USB to serial port module CP2102" 5 pins out (5v/3v3/txd/rxd/gnd). "Silabs blheli usb adapter" 3 pins out (s/ /gnd).

What does mean modified for one wire?

Also i found tutorials how to connect blheli esc using arduino Nano. Does it work with ESC_Config_Tool?

2) Steps:

a) Choose right bootloader and firmware or i will brick esc. https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...orted-Hardware found RacerStar Tatoo 8A, so i guess i need PA2 bootloader and SISKIN_1.65.bin

firmware.

b) Connect ST-Link and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.

c) Using STM32CubeProgrammer erase esc memory and install bootloader.

d) Connect StarF4S/usb serial adapter(???) and RacerStar Tatoo 30A to PC.

e) Using ESC_Config_Tool_1_68 install fimware.

What did i miss?

UPD

I found scheme how to connect 5 pin usb adapter to blheli. So i guess 5-pin, 3-pin adapters and arduino nano all are useable

https://sun9-14.userapi.com/impg/WP1...d10&type=album

Your steps don't appear to skip anything. There are better instructions available in the am32 github wiki now. Sorry for a super late reply, hopefully you got it working already.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Glamisguy99 11-25-2021 10:51 PM

I'm at a loss right now. Totally new to Cube Programmer and STlink but I'm pretty good at following directions and studying the pictures. I'm following the directions on Alka Motors Github but I cant get an esc to connect to Cube Programmer. 2 different escs, wires soldered to SWC and SWD, connected to STlink correctly (I even slid the aluminum case off and looked at the board directly to make sure I had the correct pins), battery connected and plugged in to the computer. It seems to recognize the STlink but will not connect when I hit the button.
Really dont want to give up on this, anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!

themountain 11-26-2021 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glamisguy99 (Post 6099971)
I'm following the directions on Alka Motors Github but I cant get an esc to connect to Cube Programmer. 2 different escs, wires soldered to SWC and SWD, connected to STlink correctly (I even slid the aluminum case off and looked at the board directly to make sure I had the correct pins), battery connected and plugged in to the computer. It seems to recognize the STlink but will not connect when I hit the button.

Might be the stlink is a bust...it happens ..just try another one.
Join us un slack too https://am32.slack.com/ssb/redirect "thumbsup"

Glamisguy99 11-26-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 6099976)
Might be the stlink is a bust...it happens ..just try another one.
Join us un slack too https://am32.slack.com/ssb/redirect "thumbsup"

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion, I'll have to get another one.
Never heard of slack, I'll have to check it out.

Voodoobrew 11-26-2021 11:35 PM

The stlink serial should be a dozen digits. If the stlink software only shows 1-3 digits for the sn there is a driver/software issue, and you won't be able to connect. Also a stlink with a solid red light is often a dead stlink.

Glamisguy99 11-28-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 6100074)
The stlink serial should be a dozen digits. If the stlink software only shows 1-3 digits for the sn there is a driver/software issue, and you won't be able to connect. Also a stlink with a solid red light is often a dead stlink.

I have another stlink on order. My serial is only a captial R and the light is on solid red. Hopefully the next one works. Thanks Voodoobrew for the reply.

https://i.postimg.cc/JnLd9ps5/proces...e-DMB-2231.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/LsfbCc8s/2021-11-14-3.png

Voodoobrew 11-28-2021 10:45 PM

I would try pluging the stlink into the usb port. Open device manager and find the stlink and uninstall the driver. Then Uninstal the stlink program. Unplug the USB and any unnecessary hardware before restarting an reinstalling the stlink program.

I never had this issue but it has been an issue talked about in the am32 chat a few times.

Glamisguy99 12-12-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 6100247)
I would try pluging the stlink into the usb port. Open device manager and find the stlink and uninstall the driver. Then Uninstal the stlink program. Unplug the USB and any unnecessary hardware before restarting an reinstalling the stlink program.

I never had this issue but it has been an issue talked about in the am32 chat a few times.

Thank you Voodoobrew and sorry it took so long to report back. The new st link solved the issue and I was able to flash your wraith_crawler 1.74 dixie full.bin file and get one going. Got it soldered up and ready to go in a buddies rig. We'll try it out and I'll come back with how it went in a few days.

TOEDORG 02-02-2022 10:54 PM

Hi, Everyone

Hoping to get some help with my Wraith32 AM32 flashing setup. I have followed all github tutorials and the youtube video from House of Voodoo and have been successful with the STLink flashing of the ESC (from what I can tell). When transitioning to my Arduino setup to flash firmware with the Serial Port Programmer I cannot get it to connect to the ESC. I have verified that my Arduino is setup correctly with a different ESC and BLHeli32 so it does not appear to be the issue. I did use the "full" bin file when flashing the ESC on the STLink just like the House of Voodoo video but that seems to be the only variable that I can think of that would be causing this connection issue. I have also tried a second ESC to eliminate this variable but the same result. Am I way off or is there something that I am missing? I would be happy to share any info about the process that I used and please bear with me as I am fairly new to using the STLink and Arduino. Let me know what you think and thank you very much for your time.

Voodoobrew 02-06-2022 09:04 AM

The esc already is drivable or the full bin did not install correctly. So if your not getting beeps when you power it on you may have used the wrong .bin or a corrupt .bin or uploaded it to the wrong address