Notices

Thread: Open source ESC and firmware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Open source ESC and firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The hardware is certainly the limiter on closed loop startup routines. The open loop stepping can run slower than what this esc will handle closed loop, but open loop will start skipping steps under load unless its perfectly tuned to the motor and has some amp feedback. I'm gonna cheat and add sensor input on my hardware
Is this a different sensor input then a sensored motor or a comparator?
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I have 2 Tutorials to share on this. I made one specifically for the Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC and the other was translated from Chinese and might work on other esc's but I think its more for quadcopters.
I believe my tutorial is pretty straight forward, and everything you need to know is there, with out having to guess at all. Please let us know how it goes or if I need to add more information. Or if you encountered problems.

Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC

Not My Tutorial
Old 10-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Ok so I have 2 Tutorials to share on this. I made one specifically for the Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC and the other was translated from Chinese and might work on other esc's but I think its more for quadcopters.
I believe my tutorial is pretty straight forward, and everything you need to know is there, with out having to guess at all. Please let us know how it goes or if I need to add more information. Or if you encountered problems.

Airbot Wraith32 35A v1 ESC

Not My Tutorial
Not loading for me in the UK currently... Could be bandwidth mind ( Wraith version).
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

I don't know, i tested it on my phone with a different email and it opened, but i also have the link email on the phone too. Its not a large file.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:28 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka View Post
Hey thanks, guys, I still work on this stuff all the time.
The firmware has some flaws still, its not going to work perfectly on all motors, there are limits of what can be done with this type of hardware but for some of the HH revolvers it works very well. I use a 1000kv and 1400kv in a couple of my rigs. I am not sure what type of performance you will get with the stubby revolver.
As far as i am concerned this is only the beginning ! Lots of new things on the horizon too.
Any news on this awesome project?
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Any news on this awesome project?
Currently I know it can be setup in an airbot wraith32 35A esc, they cost about $15, and you need a St-link programmer, which is about $6 to erase and do the initial programming. After that you can get the code and modify it from https://github.com/AlkaMotors/AM32-M...r-ESC-firmware but there is no tutorial for that. AlkaM is tweaking things here and there. I have posted some videos of it on my youtube as well https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9...sj1N_UQ/videos
There is a configurator, to do some tweaks kinda like castle link software, but for the most part its not for programming crawlers instead its for quads.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #87

SO - My query is, could I piggyback a trinket or similar micro/nano arduino onto the fpv single esc for additional functionality and maybe easier programming/tweaking? They have bluetooth variants so tweaking through an app could become a possibility down the road. On a simpler level Im thinking about things like aux channel drag brake % tweaking or even throttle responsive led lighting.

Im just dipping my toes in here so apologies for relatively naive wonderings. I grew up dicking around with rc and programming and am recently recovering from a serious fpv quad addiction. So I have a little bit of a basis to go off of for all this, but am still wading into unknown waters.

Im absolutely stoked to see this kind of development happening. Ive been dreaming of an opentx style sbus radio and esc/driveunit offering for surface rc ever since I started getting in to fpv quads. Also something not so stupidly overpriced.
gvngoheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:21 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
There is a configurator, to do some tweaks kinda like castle link software, but for the most part its not for programming crawlers instead its for quads.
Thanks , man!...I went through all your links and , honestly, too much tinkering for me I hope someone (HH,Castle, etc.) comes out with a plug and play solution in the future .
Old 10-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvngoheavy View Post
SO - My query is, could I piggyback a trinket or similar micro/nano arduino onto the fpv single esc for additional functionality and maybe easier programming/tweaking? They have bluetooth variants so tweaking through an app could become a possibility down the road. On a simpler level Im thinking about things like aux channel drag brake % tweaking or even throttle responsive led lighting.

Im just dipping my toes in here so apologies for relatively naive wonderings. I grew up dicking around with rc and programming and am recently recovering from a serious fpv quad addiction. So I have a little bit of a basis to go off of for all this, but am still wading into unknown waters.

Im absolutely stoked to see this kind of development happening. Ive been dreaming of an opentx style sbus radio and esc/driveunit offering for surface rc ever since I started getting in to fpv quads. Also something not so stupidly overpriced.
This is just an ESC, the camera conects to a seperate flight controller. Cant you get a stand alone camera. Kevin talbot on YouTube put one in a micro crawler. I would check that video for what to get. https://youtu.be/KzO48TTUBFU

As far as an arduino, that i would also conect directly to the reciever. Unles you want to use the telemetry from the esc.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 10-22-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 PM   #90

Well aware this is only an ESC. I just designated "FPV single ESC" to be specific that I was talking about a setup that used this specific kind of esc.

Im interested in the idea of being able to adjust things like drag brake % on the fly through a third channel on the radio. The Castle esc's have this functionality and it would be nice to be able to adjust the drag brake when taking a truck on a longer trail walk/run.

Adding a Trinket could also provide an LED uart rx for addressable LEDs around the truck. If this was available you could turn lights on/off through a fourth channel, and you could have the brake lights respond to throttle position.

I just got 2 wraith32 esc's and an st link so ill start digging my toes in once I get a sec.

Last edited by gvngoheavy; 10-23-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added details
gvngoheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

something is happening !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p2pVkzBhmg
Old 12-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #92
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Its going still, just a tough project on many levels. I'm working hardware for our needs, alka is still massaging software, and I've got Jonathan going on a programming interface.

So far its looking good. I managed to develop a few motors with better tuned bemf that works better with the sensorless wave table. Luckily just had a ton of protos laying around to choose from, I like to make a range of magnet shapes for testing.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I have some new firmware for the Wraith32 35a if any one is interested or has made one of there own already. It loads the same as before, I have it listed as ver3.0 and it gets rid of the heat issues from the previous version.

You can download the firmware and the instructions from https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...cL?usp=sharing
Old 03-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #94
JC3
Quarry Creeper

This is amazing! Well done guys and thanks for sharing. I've got two Wraith's and a ST-Link on order and will give it a try.

Last edited by JC3; 03-05-2021 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Update order.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #95

Can this firmware be loaded from bl heli 32 suite configurator with a flight controller pass through?
SloRollSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRollSolo View Post
Can this firmware be loaded from bl heli 32 suite configurator with a flight controller pass through?
no you need to use a ST-Link and install a different bootloader through the swd and SWC pads.

Then you can never use blheli or their configuration tool on it again.

But after that you use a similar tool and program it via the servo wire like blheli.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

It probably would be possible if blheli allowed you to flash 3rd party firmware, but they don't, nobody really does, because that makes it super easy to damage hardware.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

This is an awesome project! I personally LOVE the sound of my revolver. I just want a 4s ESC... will this firmware work on any BLHELI32 esc?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:23 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
This is an awesome project! I personally LOVE the sound of my revolver. I just want a 4s ESC... will this firmware work on any BLHELI32 esc?

Lou
probably, what esc is it?
Old 04-20-2021, 05:47 AM   #100
Rock Crawler

I don't have one in mind but I know there are loads of drone ESC's that should fit the bill...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Open source ESC and firmware - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OEM Castle Esc reflash firmware Di_Spencer Electronics 9 12-06-2016 11:36 PM
Open source chassis Savagethrash Axial XR10 2 03-22-2015 06:12 AM
TorqueMaster ESC 1.08 firmware released JohnRobHolmes Electronics 13 03-04-2011 06:23 AM
Xcelorin ESC firmware download Del Monte Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 03-09-2010 12:07 PM
Open source or free sw to replace Autocad setecastronomy Tools, and Procedures 16 04-28-2009 06:24 AM