Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing 1080 issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Hobbywing 1080 issue?

Hi guys, the other day i accidentally used the wrong battery mode(can't remember if it was lipo on nimh mode, or nimh on lipo mode). I've been trying to add a Castle 1.0 external BEC, and can't seem to get much to work. My esc just flashes red. Few days ago i was trying to get it to work and the servo arm slowly crept to one side until it hit it's limit then stopped. I can't get the servo to power up, even tried plugging in a new servo. I did unplug the red cable from esc to Rx and still can't get things to work. My LHS said to use a splitter for the servo/bec and it still won't work. Plugging in a battery kicks on the Castle BEC as it should, but when I plug the BEC into the receiver, it seems like it's not getting any power from the BEC. Thinking the Rx is fried, I disconnected the BEC, plugged the red cable back in from ESC, and sure as shit the Rx light kicks on and throttle works just fine. Tested the BEC with a multimeter and it's getting the stock 5.1v setting. I'm chasing a ghost. I can't seem to be able to rebind my controller to the ESC, either for some reason... Please give me somewhere to start, I'm going insane
jakehinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hobbywing 1080 issue?

Do you have a volt meter and if so what is the battery voltage. There are safeties on the esc so if your voltage dosent match up you just get a red led. The battery voltage should be under 4.2v per cell and over 3.0 to 3.6 depending on your cutoff voltage set by the esc. Also check the throttle trim see that it is set to center. Also try adjusting the throttle trim while the esc is turned on.

To eliminate problems I would do this with out the bec and esc connected. This will let you narrow down where the problem is.

I am asuming you are trying to power the servo and not the esc or receiver from the bec. I wire this by connecting the bec power in to the male battery plug on the esc. Then I cut the red and black or +- wires on the servo and connect the bec power output to the servo side of that cut. Some people tie into and Y the - ground wire. I think defferent servos and recievers react differently to how the ground is connected so if it dosent work try the other way.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Also is the power output from the esc to reciever wire the expected voltage as set from the esc program card?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You might also need to calibrate the ESC. Instructions are in the manual.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I fail to understand why you would want to plug the BEC into the RX. The WP1080 has more than enough power to drive the RX. If you must use a BEC, use it to power the steering servo with a HH splitter harness(link below). Battery mode should not be a big deal in the short term, the Nimh mode simply does not provide a low voltage cut off feature. But you need to pay attention and match the mode to the battery type before you start driving.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-24-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I fail to understand why you would want to plug the BEC into the RX. The WP1080 has more than enough power to drive the RX. If you must use a BEC, use it to power the steering servo with a HH splitter harness(link below). Battery mode should not be a big deal in the short term, the Nimh mode simply does not provide a low voltage cut off feature. But you need to pay attention and match the mode to the battery type before you start driving.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html
Because that's what castles instructions tell you to do? I believe its for plane escs or something not crawler related. But I bet a fair few people do it because of castles instructions.

Hobbywing 1080 issue? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing 1080 settings Jboucher Electronics 80 04-25-2020 02:48 PM
Hobbywing 1080 esc Bjorn Electronics 2 03-18-2019 12:36 PM
Hobbywing 1080 esc programming issue CRAWLIN5150 Electronics 2 06-19-2018 11:05 AM
HobbyWing 1080 settings. Oh How Original Electronics 3 04-04-2018 06:37 AM
Hobbywing 1080 krazee Traxxas TRX-4 2 12-21-2017 09:03 PM