Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Budget brushless combo for scalecomp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Budget brushless combo for scalecomp?

Is there such a thing as a budget brushless combo for TRX based scalecomp rig?
The goal is lowspeed control and some wheelspeed. There will be some mud and sand, so a revolver is not an option. Is there any other none sensored motors that will work? Other options that I been looking at is the hw axe, or a Mamba micro x with a slate motor. I think that 2300kv might be on the lowside for me, and for what I’ve seen that’s about the limit for the micro X?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Budget brushless combo for scalecomp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Is there such a thing as a budget brushless combo for TRX based scalecomp rig?

The goal is lowspeed control and some wheelspeed. There will be some mud and sand, so a revolver is not an option. Is there any other none sensored motors that will work? Other options that I been looking at is the hw axe, or a Mamba micro x with a slate motor. I think that 2300kv might be on the lowside for me, and for what I’ve seen that’s about the limit for the micro X?
If you're running the single speed tranny, the micro X should be fine. I've heard it doesn't handle the 2sp setup very well.
If you're looking for "cheap" I'd say a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Pro and a SW4 or the Mamba X would be the way to go.
Either way, I doubt you'll get away with much less than $150-200 for a good setup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
If you're running the single speed tranny, the micro X should be fine. I've heard it doesn't handle the 2sp setup very well.
If you're looking for "cheap" I'd say a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Pro and a SW4 or the Mamba X would be the way to go.
Either way, I doubt you'll get away with much less than $150-200 for a good setup.

I guess that’s the price I will have to accept. I have Mamba X and Mamba monster pro in some of my other rigs, so I’m happy with castle. Seems to be a lack of Castle esc and slate motors. Holmes ble seems outdated compared to the Mamba x. What’s the experience with 6 pole sensorless motors and sw4? Anyone tried this combo for comp use?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I guess that’s the price I will have to accept. I have Mamba X and Mamba monster pro in some of my other rigs, so I’m happy with castle. Seems to be a lack of Castle esc and slate motors. Holmes ble seems outdated compared to the Mamba x. What’s the experience with 6 pole sensorless motors and sw4? Anyone tried this combo for comp use?
I've heard of many people being happy with them for general use, but I haven't personally used any of the 6 pole motors on the market as of yet.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sw4 isnt sensored i dont think and hold out for a slate the 2280kv or the 2850 will be great. The 3800kv slate is a bomber yeti motor lmao just killed pinions in my scx10. I havent tried the 1900 yet but the mamba x is the way to go with the slate i hammer that thing in the mud for days and only had to change the bearings in the motor once. Amd the motors will handle 2-4s so itll give yea whatever speed yea want. I always carry alittle 4s batt just for muddy spots

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

theres the cheetah motor esc combo i ran the 1750kv set up it did ok lasted about a year 8n my wraith one hot day it fried low speed was good top speed was alittle faster than the stock 20t the wraith came with it worked good till it dident there cheaper than the castle set up the first time around once you need to replace the esc your in for more than the mamba although my mamba moster x only lasted 2 years it was still worth the extra cost
there also the 120a sensored escs that are like $20 and a sensored motor isent much more than that i would say the esc is way more important than the motor so i would cheap out on the motor before the esc but hay its all wood
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

MambaX - about $135 - several on ebay.
HH Trailmaster Pro BL540 3300kv - about $50 - https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...ro-bl-540.html

Tons of power, speed, and control. The Castle link PC setup is amazing.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Saying competition and cheap is an oxymoron. A good bang for your buck esc was when the Hobbywing axe motor and esc combos could be had for $150 they were an amazing deal IMO. If that comes back its not bad but it is also 2300kv, and I don't think its as fast as a puller pro 2200kv so Might not be fast enough for you.
The Sidewinder 4 and a HH Revolver is $130 but that is also only 1900kv.
Another good deal that is curently available is the HOLMES HOBBIES BLE PRO ESC & TRAILMASTER PRO BL 540 2700kv MOTOR COMBO for $150. You dont get the good down hill drag brake under throttle as far as I know but it might be updated in the future.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Saying competition and cheap is an oxymoron. A good bang for your buck esc was when the Hobbywing axe motor and esc combos could be had for $150 they were an amazing deal IMO. If that comes back its not bad but it is also 2300kv, and I don't think its as fast as a puller pro 2200kv so Might not be fast enough for you.
The Sidewinder 4 and a HH Revolver is $130 but that is also only 1900kv.
Another good deal that is curently available is the HOLMES HOBBIES BLE PRO ESC & TRAILMASTER PRO BL 540 2700kv MOTOR COMBO for $150. You dont get the good down hill drag brake under throttle as far as I know but it might be updated in the future.
This is a great deal, I got one a couple months ago when they weren't the waterproof ESC. It isn't quite as good as a Mamba X, and won't see anymore updates to the firmware, but it's still a great value!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I picked up a used TRX4 a month or so ago in a trade and it had a mamba max (OG) and a Tenshock 1750kv. I was blown away at how smooth it was honestly. I sold it because I had plans for the truck already but for $60-70 all in thats not a bad deal to get brushless.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Budget brushless combo for scalecomp? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Budget BL combo for Wraith Desmo Axial Wraith 4 02-04-2017 07:55 PM
Budget 2.2 beadlock wheel combo Desmo Tires and Wheels 10 12-29-2015 07:47 AM
What's a good brushless combo for a trail truck on a budget ek9808 Electronics 0 08-29-2012 08:07 PM
novak goat brushless combo or rooster brushed combo? killerklod007 Electronics 6 04-08-2009 08:35 AM
budget combo?? cabsover78 Electronics 5 04-08-2008 07:21 PM