RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Electrical issues Speedworks Monster Mash with Hobbywing ESC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/607534-electrical-issues-speedworks-monster-mash-hobbywing-esc.html)

classicdubs 03-28-2019 06:59 PM

Electrical issues Speedworks Monster Mash with Hobbywing ESC

Hey Guys,

Just got back into the RC hobby after 25-30 years and I am resurrecting my old Kyosho Double Dare and USA-1 with new electronics. I picked up new GENS 6 cell NIMH 5000mah batteries for longer run time, new hobby wing 880 ESCs for the two trucks. Both trucks are running dual speedworks monster mash motors I had back in the day. T connectors throughout.

Issue I have is power loss and the trucks stop after a short run time. They run great for a few seconds right out of the gate, but then slow down, and then stop. I then wait a few minutes, pull the trigger, and they are off again, but the whole process repeats. I contacted hobbywing and followed their recommendations on what to do, still no success.

Not sure if the motors are over powering the ESCs? I mean I had an old Futaba ESC back in the day with these trucks and everything worked fine. I would think the hobbywings would be better capable to handle these trucks.

I thought about changing connectors to XT60s to see if that would help? Maybe it is a heat issue, not sure.

Would love your input, thanks guys.

Chris

Steve g 03-28-2019 07:11 PM

Re: Electrical issues Speedworks Monster Mash with Hobbywing ESC

Do you have the lvc shut off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

classicdubs 03-28-2019 07:43 PM

Not sure, what is that? Sorry for not knowing. I was under the impression these ESCs were just plug and play. I have the 1060s on my Blackfoot and monster beetle, with no issues, figures the 880s were the same.

Fill me in,

Chris

magic_yeti 03-29-2019 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve g (Post 5923091)
Do you have the lvc shut off?

Steve means did you set the ESC into nimh Mode.
I think the hw is using a jumper for this. Should be in the manual.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk

classicdubs 03-29-2019 06:02 AM

Yes out of the box it is set to nimh. What else could I try? Could it be wire thickness? Connectors? I'm not looking to race these trucks, for the most part they will sit on the shelf, and occasionally taken out for a drive.

Chris

Steve g 03-29-2019 06:42 AM

Is anything getting hot? Not familiar with those motors, are they within the specs of the esc?

Voodoobrew 03-29-2019 09:44 AM

The esc's are set to lipo by default for safety reasons. Please double check the the esc is set for nimh. Unless the battery is dead I can't think of another reason besides defective esc. But your issue sounds on par with esc in lipo mode. What is the voltage of the battery when the car stops? You need to change setting 2 too 2 nimh By default it is on 1 lipo.

Inspector86 03-29-2019 11:09 AM

NiMH would not have been my choice of battery. These days LiPO is the way to go. The LVC does not apply to the NiMH mode 2 in the ESC.

classicdubs 03-29-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5923226)
The esc's are set to lipo by default for safety reasons. Please double check the the esc is set for nimh. Unless the battery is dead I can't think of another reason besides defective esc. But your issue sounds on par with esc in lipo mode. What is the voltage of the battery when the car stops? You need to change setting 2 too 2 nimh By default it is on 1 lipo.

I will double check, I'm pretty sure they come default in NIMH, but I will check. And on a fresh charge the trucks do this.

This is what I bought https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...18212301930611

classicdubs 03-29-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve g (Post 5923170)
Is anything getting hot? Not familiar with those motors, are they within the specs of the esc?

Nothing is really getting hot. These are the motors https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...orks-522270681

I believe they are in spec.

Steve g 03-29-2019 08:23 PM

Yeah it seems to me it's the lvc. You tried more then 1 battery right?

classicdubs 03-30-2019 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve g (Post 5923380)
Yeah it seems to me it's the lvc. You tried more then 1 battery right?

I have yes, I think the last fella that told me it was on lipo mode maybe right. I assumed it was on NIMH out of the box like the last hobbywing I bought. But not sure I can change the mode unless I buy a program card for it.

Thank you guys,

Chris