Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC's only work for a second.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

Default ESC's only work for a second.

I have a new 3s $60 amazon special battery and it will only power on an esc for a second. Ive tried it on two esc, both I can only get a quick green flash of the power light. After messing around for a bit I got 10 second run in. I have decent hitec charger and everything about the battery seems fine. Any thing i can do to save this before I have to return it, Id rather not have to wait on a new order. I lack a good lhs. While we on the topic, we is the current good place to get usable cheap lipos? The smc site is down, kershaw designs RIP, and ive tired ace gens was not impressed.

Thanks.
keepitcoolkeithhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ESC's only work for a second.

Check the cell voltages. Verify its only an issue on this battery by using a different 3s battery, Carefully try a discharge charge cycle on your charger (watch for high battery temps and errors)
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What ESC(s) are you using?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
What ESC(s) are you using?
Traxxas vxl 3s thats running on borrowed time so i figured it finally just blew. But then i tried it on a horizon hobby esc and it did the same thing so i made the thread when i had no google luck. Unforntatly i do not have any other 3s to try but both esc have ran on 3s before. The battery residence seems normal but it did take a long time to discharge to storage charge at full charge. Over 6 hours as 1amp discharge. 6000 mah 50c.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Don't know much about Horizon Hobby ESCs so can't help you with that one.

The Traxxas VXL-3S, when you say the led flashes green, do you mean one flash and then it goes out or it flashes green continuously? If it is flashing green continuously, the transmitter throttle trim is incorrectly set. Adjust the throttle trim to the middle zero setting.

Another question, what transmitter and receiver are you using. Sometimes the setup is different if you're not using a Traxxas transmitter and receiver.

I haven't had very good luck with any Traxxas electronics so haven't used them for a few years now. I have one old Traxxas XL-5 I use for bench tests and that's it. So, I'm definitely not up to date on all the latest Traxxas electronics.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

I mean a flicker. The power light flicks on for less then a second. Im familiar with all the light pattern of the traxxas esc, its essentialy failing to turn on. I have one more 3s esc in the bacement. I think it might have something to do with the off brand deans connector on the battery, its very loose? The male conector slides in very easy compared to other batterys. That would be an easy easy fix but i dont want to void the amazon warranty return policy with a resolder....

Where is a good place to get lipos im fed up with the amzon brands. I dont mind paying a little more if the quality is on point, I dont see good value in maxamps.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Confirmed It was the fake deans. Somthing about it, poor materials maybe.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

some of them just have weak springs,
But SMC is online today so thats the place for my batteries.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitcoolkeithhere View Post
Confirmed It was the fake deans. Somthing about it, poor materials maybe.
I had the same problem with an Axial "T" connector on an AE-5 ESC. Deans on the battery would only make contact about 50% of the time. Changed the Deans on the battery a couple of times before changing the ESC to a proper Deans. Took me a while to figure that one out too. Forgot about that one.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC's only work for a second. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale work force work party and BBQ This Saturday May 11th The Real Dogman Michigan 22 05-12-2013 02:02 PM
looking to put dual esc's what ones work well together?? IWantATurbo General Crawlers 4 08-26-2009 09:45 PM
What ESC's work with 9.6 v or higher? jeepfreek Electronics 4 02-13-2008 03:24 PM
micro esc's in nylint,yes they work.... twisted General Crawlers 4 03-19-2006 10:13 PM