Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Setting up my Mamba Monster X? trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Setting up my Mamba Monster X? trouble

Looks like help is on the way.

Can you post a pic of how you've wired the ESC battery leads?

It should be similar to this, though you shouldn't be using an adapter like is shown rather hard wiring to the ESC for the best performance.

Not to sidetrack things too much but all the basher talk has got me into the upgrade mood and I've also ordered a Monster X as well as one of Holmes Hobbies newer motors. At least I never noticed it before so I assume its new. Its an 1/8 scale motor coming in either 1900 or 2100 KV and they give an option for "punchy" or "smooth".
https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...ess-motor.html
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Looks like help is on the way.

Can you post a pic of how you've wired the ESC battery leads?

It should be similar to this, though you shouldn't be using an adapter like is shown rather hard wiring to the ESC for the best performance.

Not to sidetrack things too much but all the basher talk has got me into the upgrade mood and I've also ordered a Monster X as well as one of Holmes Hobbies newer motors. At least I never noticed it before so I assume its new. Its an 1/8 scale motor coming in either 1900 or 2100 KV and they give an option for "punchy" or "smooth".
https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...ess-motor.html

My threes actually plugged into a harness on the speed control. And then they are attached to a bracket that passes through the chassis and the batteries are plugged in from the bottom of the chassis and the they are mounted from the bottom. Hope that makes sense, I have all of it off the truck right now.

I ordered a 2100kv smooth yesterday.
I've had it in my cart for quite a while but couldn't quite pull the trigger until yesterday!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-25-2019 at 06:15 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
My threes actually plugged into a harness on the speed control. And then they are attached to a bracket that passes through the chassis and the batteries are plugged in from the bottom of the chassis and the they are mounted from the bottom. Hope that makes sense, I have all of it off the truck right now.

I ordered a 2100kv smooth yesterday.
I've had it in my cart for quite a while but couldn't quite pull the trigger until yesterday!
Ernie

Nice! I went for the 2100KV Punchy. I have a soft spot for anything Holmes makes.

As for my question above I was more curious about how the ESC's battery wires are setup. I just posted the battery pic as that's all I could find to show the "in series" orientation while at work.

Here's a picture of my Senton 6S which uses two 3S batteries in series. My ESC is wired like so:

The ESC's positive lead goes to the positive side of one of the battery plugs. The ESC's negative lead goes to the other plugs negative and theres a jumper wire that connects the two battery plugs.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice! I went for the 2100KV Punchy. I have a soft spot for anything Holmes makes.

As for my question above I was more curious about how the ESC's battery wires are setup. I just posted the battery pic as that's all I could find to show the "in series" orientation while at work.

Here's a picture of my Senton 6S which uses two 3S batteries in series. My ESC is wired like so:

The ESC's positive lead goes to the positive side of one of the battery plugs. The ESC's negative lead goes to the other plugs negative and theres a jumper wire that connects the two battery plugs.

Thanks Casey, here is what mine looks like now, and everything works ok.

It is pretty straight forward, and I thought this is how I had it before.
Ernie
Old 04-26-2019, 04:37 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

That can is HUGE!!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Well I'm not seeing anything that stands out unfortunately. What is the C rating on your batteries? looks like 50C maybe, if so that should be fine.

I just got my Monster X and 1/8 scale HH puller pro and I'll be setting it up tonight hopefully. I'll let you know if I come across anything that might help.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I'm not seeing anything that stands out unfortunately. What is the C rating on your batteries? looks like 50C maybe, if so that should be fine.

I just got my Monster X and 1/8 scale HH puller pro and I'll be setting it up tonight hopefully. I'll let you know if I come across anything that might help.

Thanks Casey, I bench tested the set up last night and everything worked fine on 6s set up. The only thing is the motor heated up quicker and more than I expected. Maybe just 5 min start and stop playing with drag brake settings. On the new Noble radio I have channel 3 programmed to dial so I can just turn the dial to change DB settings anywhere from no BD to full on, I like that!!!

Anxious to see what you think about the set up! Mine will be the same but with the 2100KV smooth. I also geared my truck down a little and then add larger Dia. tires.
Ernie
Old 04-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Thats great, I assume that means its no longer browning out? Did you end up changing anything?

I cant wait to see the UDR

As for the motor getting hot was it in the truck or just loose on the bench?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thats great, I assume that means its no longer browning out? Did you end up changing anything?

I cant wait to see the UDR

As for the motor getting hot was it in the truck or just loose on the bench?
Everything was out and on the bench. I must have had a wire crossed the first time??? See one of the pics above.

I add a few more AM parts to it this afternoon while I'm waiting for my motor, will try to post picks in my build thread.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-26-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Everything was out and on the bench. I must have had a wire crossed the first time??? See one of the pics above.

I add a few more AM parts to it this afternoon while I'm waiting for my motor, will try to post picks in my build thread.
Ernie

Well, darn I put everything back in the truck and same thing
I have a email in to Thomas at Castle, I think it may be the ESC it's self. The reason I think this is I programmed and installed the new Hobbywing ESC and it all worked great. But I still want to run a Monster X because of the drag brake feature.
Ernie
Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Well shoot the mystery continues. I assume you double checked the connections to make sure they're in the right spots.

It makes no sense that from the bench to going in the truck things have changed. Maybe the connectors (servo plug) for the ESC has a loose pin on the receiver end?

My Mamba X Monster install went smoothly but I didnt really see anything worth passing on to help you, I just need to gear down to bring my temps down as I was hitting high 160's.

I suppose if you're still troubleshooting at Proline BTF we could possibly swap in my Monster X to see if that changes anything, it should be wired up similar enough.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like bad ESC or cold solder joint maybe?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Setting up my Mamba Monster X? trouble - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up GT3C channel 3 for Monster X aux wire? mass-hole Electronics 6 03-19-2019 08:31 AM
Help setting up Mamba Max Pro molina Axial Yeti 2 03-21-2015 09:20 AM
Mamba-25 mrc setting?? tapped-out Electronics 0 11-22-2009 05:05 PM
Setting up mamba max help 47willysbuggy Electronics 15 06-19-2009 04:10 PM