Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushed Motor Slot Comparison???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #41
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Brushed Motor Slot Comparison???

Yeah, that dudes videos... he put up a magnum comparison vid and then didn't use the magnum in any comparison until the final test.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yeah, that dudes videos... he put up a magnum comparison vid and then didn't use the magnum in any comparison until the final test.
Have you considered doing a comparison video like that with your motors vs the Chinese 3 and 5 slots? I liked the one you done of the Axe system when it was released.

He said in the comments that the builder of these current 5 slots is working on a 5 slot 550 design. I noticed his links in the description are also only to the Boldclash and not any to yours so seems he has some inside knowledge and bias with the motors from there.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #43

I've been doing dyno tests as I have time, probably do a slant board for an easy to replicate test of control and decent. I suppose we are in the day and age where I can't just rely on word of mouth that my products are indeed as good as we claim, but have to show it against other products.

What chaps my hide is when companies start throwing around the terms of "high strength magnets" and similar when they have the weakest or second weakest grades. As a consumer, it waters down the companies that do actually have those features and don't simply claim them. Just more work for me to re-educate people.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Someone's dissing your magnets here at 9:25 JRH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYkV...Q&index=2&t=0s

Few interesting things i noticed with the whole video

Both the 35t Snow Panther 3 slot and 16t Boldclash 5 slot put out virtually the same torque, despite the skewed slots on the Boldclash. I was under the impressed skewed slots improved slow speed control, at the expensive of power. And 5 slots generally had less power than a similar 3 slot.

The Boldclash in this video looks to be using a rubber sealed bearing. The Yeah Racing Hackmoto 5 slots are likely from the same wholesaler, but mines have metal shielded bearings different from the Boldclash.

Although the Boldclash 5 slot in this video appears to have better low speed control, when under minimum load, the Holmes motor has better low speed control and start up when under load, possibly due to the extra torque.

The 5 slot Chinese motors have a terrible drag brake as shown here, and from my own experience. I'm on an original SCX10 platform, with 48p gears

Under drive in the rear. 120mm tyres. 90t spur, 15t pinion and Yeah Racing 13t 5 slot. Hobbywing 1080 with drag brake on strongest setting possible, and still won't hold on even a gentle slope, which is annoying.

The 5 slot is more useful on rocks with the smoothness, but what use is that if the drag brake is really puny?

The Boldclash speed control they give with the motor sometimes seems trully awful in terms of smoothness.
Jesus there like the same!
Except the Holmes hobbies has like twice as much copper in it. I suppose it might not be obvious to everyone. I mean maybe that weight saving from lack of windings will pan out... That's like buying a chevy big block with 2in bore cylinders... But man, I see kids today believing the dumbest things they watched on the internets, so I can see the concern here.

The weaker magnets combined with the slanted rotor all allws the surpass motors lower unloaded rpm for certain. But that's only good for a bueaty pagent where your just prancing on stage. Once you need any torque like say climbing over a rock this motor will stall out way before the Holmes motor. With less voltage the video clearly showes the crawlmaster as having like 50% more power. Maybe their words are misleading but their tests clearly show holmes as the best motor. If you can't see that, I'm sorry but your one of those people who falls for those videos on the internet.

Are Chinese magnets alwayse weaker? Or do they have high strength ones as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 08-02-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:39 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Jesus there like the same!
Except the Holmes hobbies has like twice as much copper in it. I suppose it might not be obvious to everyone. I mean maybe that weight saving from lack of windings will pan out... That's like buying a chevy big block with 2in bore cylinders... But man, I see kids today believing the dumbest things they watched on the internets, so I can see the concern here.

The weaker magnets combined with the slanted rotor all allws the surpass motors lower unloaded rpm for certain. But that's only good for a bueaty pagent where your just prancing on stage. Once you need any torque like say climbing over a rock this motor will stall out way before the Holmes motor. With less voltage the video clearly showes the crawlmaster as having like 50% more power. Maybe their words are misleading but their tests clearly show holmes as the best motor. If you can't see that, I'm sorry but your one of those people who falls for those videos on the internet.

Are Chinese magnets alwayse weaker? Or do they have high strength ones as well.

You seem to think i'm bashing or don't acknowledge the good points of Holmes motors which is completely wrong. Perhaps read my response again

I was just merely listing observations based on the video, and based on my own experience.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:51 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I've been doing dyno tests as I have time, probably do a slant board for an easy to replicate test of control and decent. I suppose we are in the day and age where I can't just rely on word of mouth that my products are indeed as good as we claim, but have to show it against other products.

What chaps my hide is when companies start throwing around the terms of "high strength magnets" and similar when they have the weakest or second weakest grades. As a consumer, it waters down the companies that do actually have those features and don't simply claim them. Just more work for me to re-educate people.

I don't think anyone who's running the Chinese 5 slot motors expects them to be as good as yours or even close, but they're gaining popularity in the UK as currently you can buy one delivered from China for about £14 ($17) and the cheapest to buy a Holmes 5 slot machine wound is from RC mart when they're in stock but they cost about £45 ($55ish)

Over here there's more trails and mud than rocks and comps are virtually non existent and then there's the problem of motor rebuilding here. I've been in the hobby over 20 years now and there's only one person i know in the UK that still does a comm cutting service.

So aye. To summarize, here at least. People only buy the Chinese 5 slots because they're better than the Chinese 3 slots they were already running and if you kill them quickly with driving in mud, water or overheating them from abuse it's not a big deal as they were so cheap. But i don't think anyone would expect them to be better than yours. The Trailmaster Sports 550's do alright here as they'r a reasonable price from RC mart

I don't understand why people in the USA are paying a fair bit of money for the Reedy 5 slots though. I was under the impression they were just a re-branded Yeah Racing / Boldclash
Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

My comments were directed at the video, honestly I don't remember reading your comments.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

In the US yea racing motors are about 15$, trailmaster 550s are 20$ and Holmes experts are 50$ just fyi

Old 01-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Back to the original question... and JRH saying there is no easy comparison for 3 slot turn vs 5 slot turn....
If i have a speed control that says its good for >/=19turns.... what turn number could it go down to for 5 slot motors? That "roughly double" rule? So a "19turn esc" could run a 10turn 5 slot?

Similar...
HW1080 ratings...
2S LiPo or 6S NiMH: ≥10T or RPM<30000@7.4V;
3S LiPo or 9S NiMH: ≥16T or RPM<20000@7.4V

Would I need to calculate RPM somehow and ignore the turn count? I'd like to run 3s... but that puts the 13t crawlmaster below the rated turn count.

Also wondering what esc out of my stash could run it (mostly old tekin or LRP escs and NIMHs).
But also... just simply for better knowledge of what works and what doesn't and how to compare.
Been collecting various motors/esc for 15years, so its REALLY hard to find anyone that's actually ran certain combos. Everything is 1/10... but some is stadium truck or touring car usually. Just trying to build up some runners from scraps.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #50

It should run a 8 or 9t 5 slot fine. The final RPM numbers are actually a decent comparison point, 8 or 9ish turn would be similar unloaded speed to 19t 3 slot on a 5mm web.

Rough estimate, half the number for 5 slot turn limit on esc. You wont find 5 slotmade that fast to actually be near an esc limit though, not a good choice for building fast motors. Excellent crawler motors though.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 01-06-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Brushed Motor Slot Comparison??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeah Racing "just climb" 5 slot brushed motors TheLetterJ Electronics 7 02-19-2020 03:22 PM
3 slot or 5 slot brushed? aramid Electronics 8 07-21-2018 05:51 AM
brushed comparison to bl ultimate_monkey Electronics 11 04-26-2010 02:44 AM